test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do you record in-game video?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
Hello folks. How do you record video of your gameplay? Any input would be appreciated.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2010
    Plug in your vcr, stick the cassette in and press Rec?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    FlyingFinn wrote:
    Plug in your vcr, stick the cassette in and press Rec?

Thank you. I appreciate your time.

I see videos posted on sites such as youtube and was curious how the video was captured. Is that a function of CO, or is it independent soiftware?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Independent. Like Fraps.

Personally I prefer Virtualdub, really excellent quality with no framerate hits if you set it up with the correct settings.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Independent. Like Fraps.

Personally I prefer Virtualdub, really excellent quality with no framerate hits if you set it up with the correct settings.

Excellent - thank you very much AuthoritySG. I'll check that out when I get home.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I don't have many details to share with you, but do this.

type "/demo_record" and any name you can remember.

When you are done punching people and running around, type "/demo_record_stop"

Now quit the game, restart the launcher and open options.

In the command line type "-demoplay" followed by the name of the movie you recorded. Make sure to include the ".demo" file extension.

Champions will launch and load the scene you recorded in replay mode. It's a 100% reproduction of everything that happened, including particles.

You can pause playback anytime you'd like, and press F2 to detach the camera from your character and shoot from different angles regardless of the camera positions you had while recording initially. You'll still be recording with fraps or WeGame(free recording software), but demo playback gives you so much more control as you are settign up shots.

If you press F5 you can debug the demo and remove models you don't want to see and other things like altering texturing methods and lighting. You can still take screenshots in demo play mode.

At this time there is no official documentation of demo recording, so this took hours of stumbling around to get the hang of and I do not yet know what more this playback ui is capable of. Best of luck
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Brou wrote:
    I don't have many details to share with you, but do this.

type "/demo_record" and any name you can remember.

When you are done punching people and running around, type "/demo_record_stop"

Now quit the game, restart the launcher and open options.

In the command line type "-demoplay" followed by the name of the movie you recorded. Make sure to include the ".demo" file extension.

Champions will launch and load the scene you recorded in replay mode. It's a 100% reproduction of everything that happened, including particles.

You can pause playback anytime you'd like, and press F2 to detach the camera from your character and shoot from different angles regardless of the camera positions you had while recording initially. You'll still be recording with fraps or WeGame(free recording software), but demo playback gives you so much more control as you are settign up shots.

If you press F5 you can debug the demo and remove models you don't want to see and other things like altering texturing methods and lighting. You can still take screenshots in demo play mode.

At this time there is no official documentation of demo recording, so this took hours of stumbling around to get the hang of and I do not yet know what more this playback ui is capable of. Best of luck

Whoa - that sounds quite slick. Thank you! Can't wait to check this out as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Brou wrote:

That is freaking incredible. I had no idea you could do that.

So when you say "you'll still be recording with fraps or WeGame" do you mean you need to install one of those before using /demo_record?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    cyreeo wrote:
    That is freaking incredible. I had no idea you could do that.

So when you say "you'll still be recording with fraps or WeGame" do you mean you need to install one of those before using /demo_record?

Unless Cryptic staff tells us more, you'll be using an outside program to capture the shots, while you use the demorecord ui to position the camera around and start-stop action in places.

Oh, and for amusement press F4 while looking at a scene.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ok i get it. you set up the shot with demo_record and then record it with fraps or whatever. very cool. worked like a charm. thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    fraps is actually less complicated and easier to use, thats what i would recommend
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you don't care for style or dramatic camera angles or instant replays you could just use a 3rd party recorder like fraps, wegame, etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I use FRAPS to capture in-game footage. The program allows you to bind record to any button, and shows your current FPS. It'll store the videos in .AVI format.

You can toggle the game's UI using alt+f12.

I use Adobe Premier to cut footage together, add music, text, etc.
    Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or_H5WQeTNY
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm gonna sit down and write a demo-record guide sometime this week.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for those details brou, I didn't know there was an ingame demo system.

Directing the replays of demos would provide a considerable advantage in addtion to havingfraps. With the directing cabapilities and low space requirement to record the demos to be played back later I can't see why anyone serious about recording demos wouldn't!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Brou wrote:
    I'm gonna sit down and write a demo-record guide sometime this week.

I'll be lookign forward to it. I've been tinkering with it for a while now but using it to its full extent would be awesome!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Posted here

Like I said before, it's not documented at all, but this should get you started so you can do a handful of cool things with it.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    EDIT: Dear lord, wrong topic! >< Sorry guys, delete please?
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    "In the command line type '-demoplay' followed by the name of the movie you recorded. Make sure to include the '.demo' file extension."

I'm not sure what you mean by ".demo extension". Is that something we need to type in the -demoplay? Or is it we need to name the in-game recording with the .demo at the end of it?
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    An example of the syntax.

If the demo is called "candybar,"

you would type:
    -demoplay candybar.demo

Also, you can visit the folder where Champions is installed via dos prompt and invoke the demo player with

gameclient.exe -demoplay <name of demo goes here>.demo

and you will skip authentication.

When you record a demo, it will have the .demo file extension automatically added. When you play it, you should include that extension when calling it by name.