test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Champions Online Official Strategy Guide

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited October 2009 in Champions Online Discussion
I was thinking about purchasing this to read, but I was wondering if anyone else purchased it? Seeing as a lot of the powers for this game were changed on launch day, and afterwards, I didn't know if anything mentioend in regards to powers were still releavant, etc. Also, are there any strategies for instances like Dr. Destoyer's Lab, Burial Caves, Telios's Tower, etc.?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Buying a strategy guide for an MMO is quite possibly the silliest thing I've heard all day. :D
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Many of these guides provide very useful indepth information about the game, especially for new players where the ingame handbook is lacking in many details. In any case, if anyone has one... I'm just looking for some feedback on the book.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Xinra wrote:
    I was thinking about purchasing this to read, but I was wondering if anyone else purchased it? Seeing as a lot of the powers for this game were changed on launch day, and afterwards, I didn't know if anything mentioend in regards to powers were still releavant, etc. Also, are there any strategies for instances like Dr. Destoyer's Lab, Burial Caves, Telios's Tower, etc.?

Its a complete waste of money. First, its only a "hero Creation Guide' not a full on strategy guide. So it only covers powers, character creation, etc. Doesn't even give maps for the other zones past the tutorial, let alone strategies.

Second, nearly all the power descriptions are completely out of date now. Its not 100% useless, but wasn't worth the money on the day the game launched, let alone currently, due to changes. Its a shame, since it is pretty and they did put alot of work into it.

This from someone who was actually stupid enough to buy the guide when they picked up the game. I blame poor impulse control. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    personae wrote:
    I blame poor impulse control. :rolleyes:

Stores must love you :)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    sagittary wrote:
    Stores must love you :)

Oh yes. Much more than the customers with Poor Bladder Control. ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Strategy guides for MMOs are like... pointless.

A) All the information is available online, in guide form on the forums.
    B) MMOs change SO MUCH that nothing in hard cover is going to be close to up to date. By the time it goes through the writing, editing, printing, and distributing, half the information is completely wrong.
    C) Since that strategy guide has been printed we've had like 8 free retcons from major, game-changing patches.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    personae wrote:
    Its a complete waste of money. First, its only a "hero Creation Guide' not a full on strategy guide. So it only covers powers, character creation, etc. Doesn't even give maps for the other zones past the tutorial, let alone strategies.

Second, nearly all the power descriptions are completely out of date now. Its not 100% useless, but wasn't worth the money on the day the game launched, let alone currently, due to changes. Its a shame, since it is pretty and they did put alot of work into it.

This from someone who was actually stupid enough to buy the guide when they picked up the game. I blame poor impulse control. :rolleyes:

I bought it at launch and while it is full of a lot of info about CO, a lot of it is now out of date or been changed.
    I would have prefered that the book be released with an ability to update it over time.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for the feedback all, I appreciate it. I will avoid the purchase.