test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So it seems the spammers are now in CO

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Suggestions Box
Well, I just got my first message from one of the sites that started spamming in CoX. I can't tell you how sick these people make me, I used to hate logging in to my CoX account to see messages from spammers and to realize my ignore list had more "people" than I did friends in my friends list. If these companies where actually people I would punch them in the face and then throw up on them. I would also make sure they were unable to reproduce so these inbred social outcast employees would no longer exist.

I hate these people, with such a passion it cannot be expressed in a forum post. I know some of you guys could careless, you just delete these messages and go on with your business and I applaud you for it because I don't know how you do it. I've tried asking these websites if they could please -and I used the word please- remove me from their spam list and every time I do the agent either isn't receiving my messages, there is no longer any connection, or I get stuff like this (yeah, that sounds so professional, how could you not want to risk your account for something you can get yourself with people like this?). I didn't buy this game and a lifetime subscription to buy something I have, well, a lifetime* to accumulate or get myself. I don't plan on investing a lot of my time into a game just so someone else can go out grind for something I want and try to sell it to me by sending me message after message after ****ing message like they can't take a hint.

To those of you who do this, I really hope you get caught and then banned so that you or these stupid companies have to waste money/ time on a new game key or account.

Besides this being a rant I have a suggestion on how this could possibly be fixed. I know the /ignore_spammer is in game, that’s great, but it only works if you know the account name (you don't get it just from an email, or at least I haven’t). You Devs could also (please) include an option to view only the account name so that we can properly report these people. Or even better give us an option to forward you these messages to someone- anyone that can deal with these people quickly (i.e. ban them as soon as they have a certain number of reported spam messages tied to their account name). If it where me I would have 0 tolerance for this (I know there are thousands of people on at a time and it’s easier said than done).

So what about you guys? Any ideas on how to stop these people from spamming? I also want to know how it doesn't bug some of you because this isn't a real job and they hurt/ annoy more people than they've ever "helped".

*lifetime based on how long the game's servers stay up

Oh and before I forget, the message I received (its still in my inbox) was from someone named desat (<- remember that name and ignore anyone with a character name identical to it) which said the following:
Welcome to (insert website here, ends with pal), 10Gold=$19.99 Full Stock and under 30mins Delivery 24/7

Edit: Seems like I'm not the only one who got this crap from this guy:
Link
Link2
Link3

Suggestions on how to fix/ alleviate this:
  • Perma Ban accounts/ IPs
  • Track spammer down and call in a black-ops team to beat/ maim them
  • Spam Folder/ User Filter
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Agreed

i hate spammers they annoy me so much, hopefully because their is no trial accounts yet it will cost them more to try n sell the money than what their making so they might all go away pretty soon
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    darklee wrote:
    Agreed

i hate spammers they annoy me so much, hopefully because their is no trial accounts yet it will cost them more to try n sell the money than what their making so they might all go away pretty soon

You know what I hate most about spammers? They can't speak English. So I don't even get the satisfaction of telling them what soulless sacks of valueless human flesh they are. I don't get the satisfaction of letting them know what circle of hell awaits them. (Incidentally, it's the 8th, right next to politicians and telemarketers).
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Personally I think they should have a feature that if a certain account and IP address get reported for the same thing multilple times it should be perma banned. At least make it a tiny bit harder for them to spam people.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    good in theory but changing the location of you IP is very easy all you need is the right software n instead of being in england according to your IP you could be in america, n all it takes is a simple click to swap location
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Curoskai wrote:
    Personally I think they should have a feature that if a certain account and IP address get reported for the same thing multilple times it should be perma banned. At least make it a tiny bit harder for them to spam people.

Good start, but I'd rather see them use the IP to call in a black-ops team to administer a severe beating, maybe a maiming or two as an object lesson.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    How about a spam filter that lets us pick which words to red flag and according to how many times that word or words appear the message is then sent to a spam folder? I know adding a spam folder would be admitting theres a spam problem, not that any game company wants to do that or that cryptic even has a spam problem but if they don't start doing something now (I know there's still bugs/ launch problems that are more important) this will be a HUGE problem. If it becomes a huge problem I hope they don't go the CoX route when trying to address this (ie let us block the same guy over and over instead of cryptic banning or preventing the spam).

If the spam filter/ folder where set in place we would be able to filter our own mail according to our own preference and on the off chance a message was sent to the spam folder we would still be able to go and read it because, well, theres a spam folder. I don't know if this is possible since the accounts are tied to the forum messages but its still something to consider.

Also could a mod please merge this thread with Abyssusj's thread located here since this is pretty much the same thing but with suggestions on how to fix or alleviate the problem.

Edit: will edit op with suggestions

Edit 2:
    You know what I hate most about spammers? They can't speak English. So I don't even get the satisfaction of telling them what soulless sacks of valueless human flesh they are. I don't get the satisfaction of letting them know what circle of hell awaits them. (Incidentally, it's the 8th, right next to politicians and telemarketers).

xD!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    As much as it would be nice your not going to get rid of them, and it seems the only solution anyone would agree on is "Lets make them go away forever!"

These guys are like viruses, you figured out one way to ban them, they worm around it. Cox, Wow, everyone has this issue. They get perma banned? They just work around that, their funds seem limitless, in the end, I think it's good for the game company due to the fact that each ban = another box purchase for them.

In a strange twisted way, they stimulate the money flow INTO the game, not the in game currency, it has the opposite effect. :P Though with no real market, why bother? o.0 Aside from retconing and some levels of crafting, there isn't much need for money just yet.

I seriously doubt our economy and market here will be anything worth bragging about for some time if ever. Everyone's to geared towards helping themselves FIRST then maybe others. I point to Ninja-Looters as an example :P

Guilds? Same issue, cliches (which is fine, thats what social animals NEED to keep themselves interested) that only think of themselves first :)

Though, perma banning is still a good idea, I'd like to see the numbers after say a year. :)

Regards,
    -C.A.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    As much as it would be nice your not going to get rid of them, and it seems the only solution anyone would agree on is "Lets make them go away forever!"

These guys are like viruses, you figured out one way to ban them, they worm around it. Cox, Wow, everyone has this issue. They get perma banned? They just work around that, their funds seem limitless, in the end, I think it's good for the game company due to the fact that each ban = another box purchase for them.

You're correct in that gold sellers are never going to leave... they should be combatted so that their presence in the game is as unobtrusive as possible, but we're never going to get rid of them period. It's a billion dollar per year industry.

However, you might be wrong when it comes to each ban equaling a box purchase.. at least, you are with WoW. I don't know about Champions.

WoW subcontracts the game to a couple companies in China, they run it there. They don't sell the games through boxes, they sell it by the hour. Sounds weird to do that with an MMO, but as I understand it you just make an account and you're charged for every hour you play.. there's no initial purchase.

How CO does it.. I don't know.