test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Two Big Suggestions For A Better Champions!

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Suggestions Box
Greetings and salutations.

I won't waste your time explaining why we need these, the ideas will speak for themselves.

1. Non-Linear Progression!
Unlike other games, when I take my first steps in Champions Online, I feel a bit bored. I know that it's going to be hours until I'm out of the Crisis in Canada, and by then I'll be, what? Level 8? Level 9 maybe?

I realize I'm a newbie, but a major fault in this game seems to be that when you first start a character out, you're not given the choice of where you'd like to go until you're a much higher level. This is a major problem, because when you're given only your starting powers, you ARE going to feel like that same journey, unlike CoX, where different archetypes offer different beginning experiences.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk to Champions, but when you start off, your power choices are, as they should be, limited, but limited to ranged/melee, and if you didn't choose custom framework, it's just one or the other. This doesn't bother me; what bothers me is the identical journeys I need to take to turn them into unique heroes.

And maybe I'm wrong. I'm relatively a newbie, but I couldn't find any other starting-ish zones to help me out. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. If this is the case? My apologies.

2. The Foe/Mission Experience Discrepancy!
Never have I seen a game where you are rewarded so very little for killing common foes in conjunction with such high rewards for completed missions.
For example; I'm about level 13 on one character, and as I'm working on a mission that rewards 12,000xp, I find myself killing henchmen that give about 40xp, villains that don't offer much more, and Super Villains that still offer minuscule amounts in comparison to the mission reward.

Now, WHY is this a problem? It's because it's takes out that drive to hunt; to continue around killing the extra bit of soldiers just for the fun of things. No, the system currently in place encourages people to jump from Quest A to Quest B while skipping everything in between. It rewards the playstyle of having to do the same missions on every character, rather than allowing for a more personal playstyle.

That's all I've got. Thanks for reading.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    Nice post. well written and basically right on everything.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I agree with you 100% Poyzinblud! I have done the same thing about 20 times now trying out new characters to see what ones are best for me. The problem is Cryptic wants you to be part of a story they have created rather than letting you cut loose and just have fun. I think its the main reason why teaming is the way it is at the moment. If you could join a team and just do random missions to level your character like in CoX then the story never gets told. But the solution to that is to give a special reward for completing the story so most people still do it. Maybe give an accolade (with a bonus power) when you complete the story on each map. Eventually it will have to change or people will get bored of the game since in all reality, it is the same story every time you make a new character and it should not remain this way for too long.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Bumping this for the nightly visitors of the CO Forums. I'd like to think these are good suggestions.