test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Difficulty slider, CO-style

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Suggestions Box
With all the hoopla about the launch-day patch/nerf/adjustment/whatever, once recurring suggestion to accommodate all the folks who find the current game balance to be too hard, too soft, or just right has been to introduce a version of CoX's mission difficulty slider.

The one big issue with just porting that system over is, as has been pointed out, that most CO missions are open-world missions, not private instance missions.

So, my humble suggestion?

Make the difficulty slider into a self-buff or self-debuff.

Add vendors in each post-Tutorial zone (or in the Powerhouse) that sell devices that come in the following two basic flavors:

Hero-Aid: For the folks who are having too tough of a time with standard difficulty. This device, when active, buffs your HP, primary stats and damage output, but at the expense of reducing your XP and resource gains by a set percentage. You could even have different "flavors" of Hero-Aid that buff different types of powers, or different framework/stat combos.

Heroic Challenge: For the folks who want things a wee bit tougher. This device, when active, debuffs your HP, hold/control power durations and damage output, but gives you a slight XP bonus for enemies even-con or higher and larger resource and perhaps loot/perk point bonus. There would be different "challenge levels" for this debuff, allowing folks to go from having a slightly harder time to having a nigh-impossible time.

It's not as elegant a solution as CoX's difficulty sliders, but it's the best idea I can come up with for CO's more open-world mission approach.

Edit: And to clarify, neither of these devices would function in PvP arenas.

Edit 2: Reposting this from another thread. Checked and there have been previous suggestions similar to mine, but mine goes into a bit more detail, so that justifies (uh, to me) my egotistical desire to start my own thread! Hooray!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    I think this idea has merit.

All they have to do is wipe all buffs from you when you go into a PVP area.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I was thinking this the other day when I read some post that was pretty much "L2P I WANT A CHALLENGE!"