test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

blueprint drop creating bop

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Items and Crafting
Last night I found the blueprint for Destroid Gun Drones.
260 Arms.
Now I am a science guy 299 skill.
I thought no problem, either I'll pass it to an Arms crafting alt or to a friend to make me one.
But then I noticed that though the blueprint is tradeable, the item it creates is bind on pickup.
I have a number of problems with that:
1) it is annoying as hell finding something really cool and not being able to use it even with help from a friend
2) it hurts the ingame economy. All the cool stuff that can be crafted by blueprints not readily available, are bound to the crafter? A lot of crafters I know enjoy crafting but very much enjoy selling the crafted items.
3) it hurts group play. I can craft an item with science to give 300 particle and sonic resistance for 180secs. This would be one of those things to hand out in an extremely tough lair, with all the group happy to get their hands on them. But I can't give them away.

I believe it would be better to make the resources required for these kind of crafting items rare if there is a fear that they will become too commonly available otherwise. But please do not take the fun out of being able to crsft cool stuff.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    I totally disagree with you. Having pattern drops that are BOE, but produce BOP items is a good thing. It gives some meaning to the craft. What is the point of leveling my crafting skill if I can buy EVERYTHING that can be crafted? There has to be some inherent benefit to having a high level profession.

If you get a BOE pattern drop that yields a BOP item that is very nice, but not in your crafting tree, sell the pattern! I'm sure you would get a lot from it since the BOP on the item makes it hard to get. Currenty, there are some BOE patterns that give BOP items and some BOE patterns that give BOE items. I think this is as it should be.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Tigg wrote:
    I totally disagree with you. Having pattern drops that are BOE, but produce BOP items is a good thing. It gives some meaning to the craft. What is the point of leveling my crafting skill if I can buy EVERYTHING that can be crafted? There has to be some inherent benefit to having a high level profession.
    The ability to make money from those who can't make the items you can.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Tigg wrote:

I can agree with you to a certain extend. You find something you cant use, you sell it. I disagree though when it comes to a crafting blueprint drop.
    The whole point of binding is to limit how many of that item are used at a given tme ingame. When you find something better, you cant just pass it on to a lower level friend/alt/random person. Crafting is inherently the opposit since people can craft as many items as they want (as long as they have the resources).
    Now some of the blueprints at the trainers available create bop devices. Thats fair enough. I as a science crafter create mutated Qulaar swarms that obey me. An arms crafted might do little robots.
    But with a drop blueprint, the amound of crafters to make said item are already limited so that a second limitation of who can use them isn't really needed. If these items are to be BoP, then why make a blueprint in the first place? They could just make BoE devices with a 1hour cooldown. They'd be just as limited in their use as an item that has to be recrafted after every use.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    melkathi wrote:
    I can agree with you to a certain extend. You find something you cant use, you sell it. I disagree though when it comes to a crafting blueprint drop.
    The whole point of binding is to limit how many of that item are used at a given tme ingame. When you find something better, you cant just pass it on to a lower level friend/alt/random person. Crafting is inherently the opposit since people can craft as many items as they want (as long as they have the resources).
    Now some of the blueprints at the trainers available create bop devices. Thats fair enough. I as a science crafter create mutated Qulaar swarms that obey me. An arms crafted might do little robots.
    But with a drop blueprint, the amound of crafters to make said item are already limited so that a second limitation of who can use them isn't really needed. If these items are to be BoP, then why make a blueprint in the first place? They could just make BoE devices with a 1hour cooldown. They'd be just as limited in their use as an item that has to be recrafted after every use.

I disagree completely. This is a very nice feature to have, that blueprint will be something very cool for someone who chose an arms focus and it is something that they can use that will make them unique for having chosen arms. There will be other items that you will get as science that will be nice and only you as a science major can use. I certainly agree that not ALL items should work this way, but having some is definitely a useful part of the mix.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think I may have worded my original post a bit wrong. I can use the blueprint, I got arms on another character.n And I have found nice science stuff as well for my main.
    But for me crafting is not crafting for oneself but crafting for others. I mean for a crafter (at least myself and those I have met in the past) half the fun of having crafted something nice is being asked the question "Can you make me one too?" and personally I hate to answer no.

And as said, I am by no means against people having rare toys that few others have.
    Its crafting for oneself that rubs me the wrong way.

Ah well, interesting to see that I am a minority on this forum :)