test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Windows 7 & CO - Lets pool experiences.

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Gameplay Bugs
For all my fellow Windows 7 users... I know CO gives a warning about Windows 7 compatibility but that doesn't mean you should use compatibility mode, using it seriously borked my FPS, especially when traveling. As a heads up, I'm uing the RTM version, but my friend who is still on the last Win 7 Beta experienced the same thing.

(For those unfamiliar, RTM = Release to Manufacturing, which = retail version they ship to Walmart, etc... only in digital early access format)

One thing that the two of us have experienced that differs is that, after each patch with my RTM version I will recieve drops on zoning about 80% of the time (he doesn't with Win 7 Beta)... Now how I fix that is by (*cringe*) re-installing and repatching. For some reason I have to do this everytime there is a new patch... I'm not sure who's end that is on, mine or cryptics (any other RTM users seen this?). However, it does seem to fix it every time (running a file validation of CO does not).

Now lets talk re-installing... Cryptics setup app will NOT preserve your screenshots (aka costume save) directory as it is in the program directory the game itself resides... so back that sucker up! (that should be fixed I have games 5 years old now that save that stuff to somewhere in my profile...it's not a new concept ;) ).

You can find that directory in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Champions Online\Live" called "screenshots" (if you're 32-bit, lose the (x86) in there. If you don't know which you're running, google how to determine it - there are some nice guides depending on your skill level).

I didn't see this kind of thread elsewhere, if there is one let me know and I'll throw my stuff in there.

Anyone else have anything to add?

My relevant specs are:

EDIT: I should add, I'm able to get stable FPS (30ish+) in MC in Win 7 with the following specs using the practices above, I typically run 2/3 graphic quality bar to do this, and disable the throttling commands under troubleshooting).

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (RTM/Retail)
C2D 2.93GHz - X6800
Intel x48 Chipset (Default Chipset Drivers)
(2) ATI Radeon 4980 in Crossfire (ATI 9.8 Drivers - Win 7 x64 Release)
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    As an early adopter of Windows Vista (which I still love for the eye candy and gadgets), I feel your pain. I wanted to add...

Champions Online using Windows Vista runs like liquid silky smooth awesomeness. It has never crashed or disconnected on me once (crosses fingers). No weird scrambles. The only lag I experienced was in the full 100-person instances during the OB invasions in MC. (Turning down my graphics settings helped that dramatically.) Fully expected more technical problems after the 12-hour CO patch launch.

I won't be upgrading to Windows 7 anytime in the foreseeable future if it's giving devs grief straight out of the gate. Like Vista. Again.
    edited September 2009
    I am running the game on Windows 7 Enterprise. It runs GREAT.
    edited September 2009
    running on Win7 RC as my retail version is still within shipping.
    CO seems running fine on my computer.
    edited September 2009
    I am also in W7 RTM atm, the only issue I have is due to my video card. At times there is no land there at all and I get to jump in and out of what would be the ground. I have ordered a new video card from Newegg which should be here soon. I'll update with that if I remember.
    edited September 2009
    Windows 7 RC1. No issues, at least not related to Windows 7. All of my games run much better than when I was running Vista. Much better. I ran Vista ok, and almost never installed Windows 7, but Vista doesn't like trying to switch back to SATA mode from AHCI mode, you have to force it by removing the AHCI drivers, so I got stuck in a no boot situation that I could not fix and decided why not try my Win7 disk. Running games, running anything on it is almost like living in LA and then walking into an oxygen bar and taking a deep breath, it just felt so much lighter and faster.

So far, I have several released games, several betas and I have had to do 0 tweaking and have had no issues at all. If anyone sets their compatibility tab for any games without already having serious issues or just not being able to run it, well you're just dumb. This CO warning about Win7 has never bothered me or interfered, it just gets a little annoying because I'm lazy and don't want to click a lot of buttons.
    edited September 2009
    I'm using Windows 7 RC also, without issue. Only played for a few hours so far, but already the warning window is bugging me.

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn it off?
    edited September 2009
    I've been using Windows 7 for the entirety of my playing of Champions Online from February through now and I have never experienced and problems that could be attributed in anyway to Windows 7 (from Champions anyway, WAR and my video card drivers were a whole other animal).