test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trying to Create a Soloing Power Suit Character

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in Builds and Roles
Hi All, I was wondering what peoples recommendations are on a solo Power Suit character..

My Current Build

Power Gauntlet - 1
Wrist Bolter - 1
Invulnerability - 2
Micro Munitions - 2
Minigun - 1
Chest Beam - 1

Super Dexterity
Super Ego
Field Ops Training
Covert Ops Training

Jet Boots

Any tweaks/suggestions would be appreciated
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2009
    If you're going DEX/EGO, I would recommend swapping out Invulnerability for Lightning Reflexes. INV is keyed off Strength and Constitution, while Lightning Reflexes is keyed off DEX.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think that u shudda taken end/recovery or something with either end or recovery as a superstat cuz power armor reeally needs some end.. tho my char is only lvl 17 =D lol. PA is really endurance heavy cuz of the toggles.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Power Armor is a very hungry beast, but pretty ridiculous if you can manage it.

It works off of having (up to) 3 seperate toggles on: hand, chest, and shoulder. From a bit of testing I noticed that Eye Beam and Micro-Munitions are pretty easy to keep up 100% (especially with Int super-statted), but the glove maintain (can't recall what it's called) seemed to really burn through my endurance quickly. I think I read somewhere that it increases all power/toggles (including its own) while you maintain it.

With the nerf to Eye Beam (from what I've heard), it might be a tad more difficult than it was to level a 2/3-maintained PA build, but I think the focus is more on keeping your endurance up while sacrificing the damage.

Rather, 2-3 toggles kept up 100% (especially MM's AOE) should be enough damage to handle just about anything, so once you're comfortable with your endurance THEN go for more damage. Int is also a handy stat for keeping those maintains the whole duration (though enemy life tends not to last a full bar usually >.>).

I think Chest Beam and Micro-Munitions are counted as chest slots, and Mini-guns are a hand but I can't recall offhand (ignore pun). I believe Eye Beam is counted as a shoulder. Just need to make sure you have one of each and you can run at least, say, 2, comfortably.

That's my 2r on PA anyways.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    jvenables wrote:
    Hi All, I was wondering what peoples recommendations are on a solo Power Suit character..

My Current Build

Power Gauntlet - 1
    Wrist Bolter - 1
    Invulnerability - 2
    Micro Munitions - 2
    Minigun - 1
    Chest Beam - 1

Super Dexterity
    Super Ego
    Field Ops Training
    Covert Ops Training

Jet Boots

Any tweaks/suggestions would be appreciated

I play PA, Honestly You need End or Int Super Stated, Both Together are nice as well, but you need at least one of them.

Also, All toggles that are active increase the energy cost of all powers and they stack I think its like 15% per toggle active, so 2 would be 30% and 3 would be 45%.

Also, Invul is pretty pointless for you since you do not have STR or CON Super Stated.

Also remember that with PA you can only have 1 Toggle of the same type active, Hand = Concussor Beam & Power Gauntlet, Shoulder = Eye Beam, Mini Gun & Shoulder Launcher, Chest = Micro Munitions & Chest Beam.

Alot of people are complaining about eye beam, honestly it was overpowered and I knew it was going to get hit, it cost almost no end to run and was doing way to much dmg.

But when used with Concussor beam or Power Gauntlet, Eye Beam still helps your DPS, and it can run for almost ever.

I love power gauntlet, because it does not count as a toggle and does not increase energy cost of other powers, its quick charge and does nice dmg, its also an interrupt for maintain and charge powers, and it out damages concussor beam.

Personally I run with Mini Gun over Eye Beam, and I use power gauntlet and Micro Munitions.

Take a look at some powers maybe pick up the Champions Builder and play around with it some and try to find some synergy with your build, Unlike other games you can gimp yourself in this.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm a PA user, Int/End SuperStatted with Targetting Computer passive, Accelerated Metabolism slotted in Eye Beams, Micro Munitions and Power Gauntlet and I still need MOAR energy! Not to say you couldn't try to abuse some certain... things... and avoid heading down the energy route, but it's going to be slightly painful. Now, the upside to my energy obsession is that if I have the jump on anything short of a Legendary, they're dead before the come outta my 5s stun. :cool:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Accelerated Metabolism slotted in Eye Beams, Micro Munitions and Power Gauntlet ...

As I understood Accelerated Metabolism the 4 second cooldown is global, Is it really worthwhile taking it on multiple weapon slots rather than just putting it on one of your rapid fire (eye beam/minigun) or aoe (MM) abilities?
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Since it's related to my query pretty much... I'm going for an Int/End Power Armor/Force build, and was wondering what kind of Defensive power would be the most efficient for me to pick up as a result.

So far, I've only got the character in question to 6, with Endurance super-stated, the Int/End Talent, and Impetus as the base... Force Bolts energy builder, Power Gauntlet, and Concussor Beam. Haven't gotten too far with her specifically because I was torn on the issue.

I'm fine with taking anything, though I was giving heavy consideration to Personal Force Field (despite the nerfs). If there's a better option someone can think of, though, I'd be more then willing to listen. :3
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dark_Sol wrote:
    As I understood Accelerated Metabolism the 4 second cooldown is global, Is it really worthwhile taking it on multiple weapon slots rather than just putting it on one of your rapid fire (eye beam/minigun) or aoe (MM) abilities?
    I tested it a great deal in the powerhouse before deciding on it, and while it does impose a 4s cooldown, the 20% proc rate means that by taking it on multiple toggle powers my average time between procs went from 10s to 9s to 7s as I took more advantages. It might not be optimal, but it seemed to fit with my plan of maintaining full toggles for long fights.

Cheers :cool:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm fine with taking anything, though I was giving heavy consideration to Personal Force Field (despite the nerfs). If there's a better option someone can think of, though, I'd be more then willing to listen. :3

I went with Invuln, (INT/CON) but that was 99% about opening up the next tier of powers - as fun as concussor beam is, I didn't need another hand slot power - and for PVE I've found power gauntlets amazing for the interrupt ability.

I tested it a great deal in the powerhouse before deciding on it, and while it does impose a 4s cooldown, the 20% proc rate means that by taking it on multiple toggle powers my average time between procs went from 10s to 9s to 7s as I took more advantages. It might not be optimal, but it seemed to fit with my plan of maintaining full toggles for long fights.

That's good feedback, thanks - I was thinking (re: hoping) that by just tagging one of the powers that hits alot of targets pretty frequently that you'd be pushing that 4s cooldown all the time anyway.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Sorry if this is beyond a noob question but can someone explain toggles to me. I understand the concept but my PA guy to my knowledge only attacks with one power at a time. I normally toggle the energy builder and then charge up my gauntlet and finish off the enemy with my hand beams. Rinse and repeat.

Can someone explain how I can have three toggles going at the same time and some general tips on being a PA killing machine? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    You have 3 slots: hand, chest and shoulder. The different powers' tooltips mention which slot they use.

Examples:
    Hand slot: Power Gauntlet, Concussion Beams
    Chest: Micro Amunitions, Eye Beam
    Shoulder: Minigun, Shoulder Cannon

(I'm guesing the names, could be off)

If you have the energy you can toggle on all 3 at once and unleash some serious firepower. Hit your 3 power keybinds and everything fires.

However energy-use increases as you toggle on more systems. That's why people are saying you need at least INT, END or REC as a superstat. Personally I'd go with 2. INT & END seems like a good idea.

This also means you need to keep good track of your powers, for example getting both the eye-beam AND the minigun power would be a bit of a waste since they're both shoulder-slot powers.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    anahka2309 wrote:
    You have 3 slots: hand, chest and shoulder. The different powers' tooltips mention which slot they use.

Examples:
    Hand slot: Power Gauntlet, Concussion Beams
    Chest: Micro Amunitions, Eye Beam
    Shoulder: Minigun, Shoulder Cannon

(I'm guesing the names, could be off)

If you have the energy you can toggle on all 3 at once and unleash some serious firepower. Hit your 3 power keybinds and everything fires.

However energy-use increases as you toggle on more systems. That's why people are saying you need at least INT, END or REC as a superstat. Personally I'd go with 2. INT & END seems like a good idea.

This also means you need to keep good track of your powers, for example getting both the eye-beam AND the minigun power would be a bit of a waste since they're both shoulder-slot powers.

thanks for the info! I think I understand now. Quick question...why End? The PA description says Int/STR are the recommended powers and I have been stacking them accordingly. SHould I respec to END? If so what is the rationale? Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The rationale for STR is basically Invulnerability. That scales with STR.

If you don't plan on using Invul. there's really no point in getting STR, unless you want to able to throw cars around. Then again, you're asking for a solo'ing build, so some form of defence is needed I guess.

Personally I'm going with INT/END and I'm grabbing PFF. That scales with END so that works out ok.

Still slightly annoyed I can't get the Targetting Computer just to be able to do something solo but so be it. Might grab em both and switch builds a lot, which is annoying in itself.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    anahka2309 wrote:
    The rationale for STR is basically Invulnerability. That scales with STR.

If you don't plan on using Invul. there's really no point in getting STR, unless you want to able to throw cars around. Then again, you're asking for a solo'ing build, so some form of defence is needed I guess.

Personally I'm going with INT/END and I'm grabbing PFF. That scales with END so that works out ok.

Still slightly annoyed I can't get the Targetting Computer just to be able to do something solo but so be it. Might grab em both and switch builds a lot, which is annoying in itself.

Did PFF get hit really hard with the nerf yesterday? I plan on rerolling with all the changes (ya he was level 20, sigh) I use Defiance and I'm still able to solo stuff, but there some useless abilities I have now that I need get rid of it (EG: Eye Beam, etc..)
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    mp84 wrote:
    Did PFF get hit really hard with the nerf yesterday? I plan on rerolling with all the changes (ya he was level 20, sigh) I use Defiance and I'm still able to solo stuff, but there some useless abilities I have now that I need get rid of it (EG: Eye Beam, etc..)

It's noticeably less powerful, but it's not quite god-awful. I think right now it's almost mandatory to supplement it with Nanobot Swarms and Field Surge (for the cooldown redux/heal on the first, and the shield replacement on the second). Or have END or EGO as a super-stat to give an extra boost to either shield strength or recovery.

I'm using it fine on my Force/PA character.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    anahka2309 wrote:
    I only have Targetting Computer, and while it doesn't help too much with normal mobs, it extends my maintain toggles a great deal on stuff that lives longer than the first salvo.

Also, the Str part of Invun is kinda... lackluster.

Cheers :cool:
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's noticeably less powerful, but it's not quite god-awful. I think right now it's almost mandatory to supplement it with Nanobot Swarms and Field Surge (for the cooldown redux/heal on the first, and the shield replacement on the second). Or have END or EGO as a super-stat to give an extra boost to either shield strength or recovery.

I'm using it fine on my Force/PA character.

I have super stated Con/End in my build, with a focus of Intel and Recovery as 3rd and 4th focuses. Recov for just enough power to call my field drones out of combat (Only way I can deal with it's horrible pathfinding).

I went the route of Defiance, Force Shield, and Medical Drones. A wrench got thrown into my plan since Eye Beam is useless now so I had to pick Mini-Guns at level 20, and can't really respec out of Eye Beam anymore, so I'm stuck with it even though I don't use it. (Sucks too because 20/20 fission and Accelerated Metabolism are a complete waste now, and I'd rather have that slotted to Mini-guns , at least Accelerated Metabolism)

So the question I really have, at level 23, I'm either thinking of Chest Beam for some nice single target damage, or little more healing which I'm looking at Nanobot Swarm, or Bionic Shielding. So how's Bionic Shielding (I did see the other thread about this in the Combat and Powers, so that worries me) and Nanobot Swarm now post patch?

thanks,
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    , they're dead before the come outta my 5s stun. :cool:

Which power is 5s stun?