test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Computer optimization

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited September 2009 in PC & Technical Issues
Are there any plans to optimize this game to take more advantage of video card processing rather that the high CPU utilization currently being used?

Thanks
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Definitely wondering the answer to this one myself.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Bumpedy bump for a dev answer :p
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I really want to know the answer to this.

I've already dropped a total of $450 onthis game - the lion's share of which is for stuff from Cryptic, directly or otherwise. I thought, reasonably I believe, that trusting Cryptic's posted Minimums and Recommended stats would be sufficient homework-doing ... and that I would primarily need a new, up-to-date video card to get reasonable performance out of CO.

Boy, was I wrong. Even with a GTS 250 (1GB) video card, 2.5GB of RAM, and a 2.8GHz dual-core Pentium 4 ... my average is only 10fps, and I've dropped as low as 0.72fps while moving ...!! I should at LEAST be able to maintain a stable 20fps while moving, with that card. There's no reason I shouldn't get that. But ... I can't.

And it's REALLY starting to tick me off.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    By the look of things I say no.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Its a good thing Im already saving up for a more than decent CPU then :)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So am i, but the bottom line is, should we HAVE to? The "minimum" and "recommended" systems suggest that I shouldn't. I'm not a programmer, but I would assume that graphic processing should be handled by the GPU. My CPU is always functioning at 100% when I'm playing the game. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen in WoW, Eve, or COD4...
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No we shouldn't have too, they screwed up and they need to fix it.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    CPU-Intel Duo Core 2.6GHz
    RAM-6GB DDR2
    Video-Radeon 4890 1GB memory

I just upgraded from a 8800GTX and my frame rates went up marginally. I now get about 20fps with max everything and post processing turned off.

Personally in an MMO thats really not a deal breaker. However, I do get alot of lag during peak usage and while there is alot of animation on the screen.

I got a lifetime sub because I really like the super hero genre and used to play Champions back in the day, it is a fantastic game. So I am "willing" to wait for an answer to this question. While I am able, I don't want to spend the money to upgrade my computer or build a new one just so I can have smooth frame rates with this game.

And to second a previous poster, a Dev response to this issue would be greatly apprecieated!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    True at the moment the game is way to demanding on cpu my gtx 285 hardly needs to work dont get it . Maybe stupid question but does this game have same engine as City of heroes they did have the same problem that it mostly did use cpu only , if this is the case you guys could have think about this earlyer building a engine that moslty uses cpu isnt smart move since most have multicore and it will be even worse.

To the ppl saying 20 fps is enough well it isnt for me i want to have 60 fps pretty much everywhere going under that just feels sloppy . In a raid with alot of **** going on i dont mind to dip to 40ish but i gues we will hit single numbers their in this game.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    The answer is yes, the time in unknown.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thanks for your patience all. We are currently looking in to this, and we hope to have a solution soon. Please continue to include your system specifications and operating system versions to help us identify the issue.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm a doctor.. I dont remember giving you my Patients??

ohhh. you meant Patience ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    martyllia wrote:
    I'm a doctor.. I dont remember giving you my Patients??

ohhh. you meant Patience ;)

Thank you, sorry its a Monday.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    hey there implausible :) I was just wondering if any work was being done on the UI reducing the FPS for a lot of people?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Thank you, sorry its a Monday.

No worries, I thought it was cute. I think we are all having Monday-itus and a little levity usually helps.

The Game is great, and will be even greater once we can get things optimized!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    martyllia wrote:
    No worries, I thought it was cute. I think we are all having Monday-itus and a little brevity usually helps.

The Game is great, and will be even greater once we can get things optimized!

Oh the irony... Do you perhaps mean levity there?
    Though he was pretty brief too.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    *wink* it is monday
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Some optimization would be much appreciated.

Yes, the PC I am using is a little long in the tooth, but certainly exceeds the minimum required specs in all aspects. I have to run the game at minimum settings just to make the chop acceptable enough to play.

When I look at the performance monitor while playing, it appears that only the CPU is getting maxed out as the RAM and vid card look like they are OK and have plenty of room to take on more of the load.

As requested, here are my rig specs:
    Intel P4 3GHz single core
    3GB RAM
    ATI X850 Pro
    Win XP/32

Thnx,
    Q
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Daveydave wrote:
    hey there implausible :) I was just wondering if any work was being done on the UI reducing the FPS for a lot of people?

Not that I know of at the moment but I can look into it.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    QDoggie wrote:
    Some optimization would be much appreciated.

Yes, the PC I am using is a little long in the tooth, but certainly exceeds the minimum required specs in all aspects. I have to run the game at minimum settings just to make the chop acceptable enough to play.

When I look at the performance monitor while playing, it appears that only the CPU is getting maxed out as the RAM and vid card look like they are OK and have plenty of room to take on more of the load.

As requested, here are my rig specs:
    Intel P4 3GHz single core
    3GB RAM
    ATI X850 Pro
    Win XP/32

Thnx,
    Q

Open the ATI CCC to the 3d tab and untick the boxes marked "use application settings" and then set the values at a reasonable level. Don't use adaptive AA and disable the catalyst AI. Playing in windowed mode at a low resolution will get you better framerates.

Today I installed CO on my work computer and am amazed to be getting 40fps solid, because it has a quad core and I run it windowed, even though it uses a terrible radeon 2400xt.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Forgot to post my stats
    Intel core2 duo 2.2 ghz
    2 gb ram
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Nvidia 8600m GT <Not running latest drivers, as latest drivers cause me to crash every 5 minutes in game

running 7.15.11.7756 drivers for video.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dxdiag hope you fix this problem very soon, i don't even wanna touch the game till its fixed :\
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Archmagus wrote:
    Dxdiag hope you fix this problem very soon, i don't even wanna touch the game till its fixed :\

I fill exactly the same way you do and it's just not fun now and I'm ready for the next game to come out. I was so excited for this game and it just let me down.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    bcat75 wrote:
    I fill exactly the same way you do and it's just not fun now and I'm ready for the next game to come out. I was so excited for this game and it just let me down.

yea man im sorry but i dident wanna play a game where my hero looked well not very heroic :P lol i look at the screen and all i get is a headache from the fps lol.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Even with a i7 965 @3.8 I cannot get more than 35-40 FPS in 1920X1200. Video cards 2x GTX 295s. Win Visa 64bit.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm having the same problem of poor framerates and a maxed out CPU during gameplay

I'm using:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz
    2 Gigs of RAM
    NVidia 9800 GT 1Gig
    Windows XP Professional

Video Drivers are 190.62
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Windows Vista 32
    GTX 260
    4 gig ram
    Core 2 duo at 2.6 and 3.0 ghz (3.0 causes bsod crashes, so I leave it at 2.6).
    SB Titanium

Sometimes I use Game Booster to turn off all of my unnecessary processes and free up some ram, but this usually gives me about 1-2 FPS.

Latest drivers for soundcard, nvidia card and nvidia mobo (SLI P6N Platinum).

Averaging about 25-35 fps in millenium city, unless flying, then that drops down to 15-19.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Vista x64
    E8200 @ 3.6GHz
    2x 8800 GTS 512MB SLI @ 720/1785/1052
    4GB RAM

I get barely 30 FPS when standing still, 20 FPS and sometimes lower when travelling/fighting. Compared to the performance I get in other games it's unbelievable.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Lucifer wrote:
    Even with a i7 965 @3.8 I cannot get more than 35-40 FPS in 1920X1200. Video cards 2x GTX 295s. Win Visa 64bit.

I'm fairly certain that a rig like that shouldn't be having problems with ANY game. This seems like proof that something is amiss.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    luker wrote:
    I'm fairly certain that a rig like that shouldn't be having problems with ANY game. This seems like proof that something is amiss.

The engine is borked, this is what people get for buying a game they haven't even played yet.

The gameplay itself is good, enjoyable, but running it at 15-30 FPS on my high-range computer is unacceptable.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Just to reiterate everyone, we are aware of this issue and we are working on a fix to correct this. As soon as we have a solution we will post additional information.