edited August 2009 in PC & Technical Issues
Hi :)
This is my spec
CPU: Phenom 2 x4 3.2Ghz
graphic card: 4870x2
Power supply 700W
RAM: 4Gb of ddr3 ram
and a monitor res of 1900x1200

Now i KNOW the monitor res is a bit high, but I kinda feel my fps is going a bit..random! I can run games like age of conan on MAX with about 60-70|FPS stable..UT3, FEAR 2, Batman arkam, and crysis on Very high at about 40Fps! but This game (CO) my fps goes from anywhere between 40-50 (if im lucky) 60... all the way down to 27ish.. even on recomended settings the FPS is up and down like a blue arse fly as my dads would say lol. Every one i ask say there fps is stable with the odd up and down... With my spec i feel i should get at leats a constant fps :/ Ive turned off AA and AF with little diffrence. ive turned down res which makes my fps go upto 70ish..but as soon as anything new happens on screen it shoots down to 20-30 :( Im thinking of canceling the game because its very hard to play when the fps is jerking about. Are people lyeing to me and the game isnt as polished as it should be? is my spec bad for this game?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Same here, exactly what youve discribed.

FPS all over the place, goes down really low 20's etc - Very very un-smooth gameplay.

My specs are:

AMD Phenom II 920
    4GB Ram
    GTX 285
    Vista x64
    Rez: 1680x1050

Would love to be able to get it to run smoothly, atleast

I had the problem on my old pc too, in beta stage.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sorry mate but thank god some one else is having same trouble :( ..it means they can fix it >< lol I have a feeling its the phenom trouble :( Ive heard somegames have a few... hiccups with it :( I only upgraded my pc to run this and aion >< l
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    is my spec bad for this game?...

lol. its probably not the best game engine on the market for a MMO. If the game is running like that its because the devs dont even know why the engine is taking so much juice.

like you said, turning off the details wont do a big difference. even with a very low resolution.

You should cancel right now if you dont like low fps.. or maybe they will improve the engine performance throught patches.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    what would u suggest is a good MMO spec?:( Anything i can cheaply do to help bump it up a little..without buying intel mobo and processor lol. I WOULD overclock..but ive no ide ahow to ><
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm in the same boat too - i create a character, it loads me into the tutorial, and i rubberband for the next 10-15 minutes. If im lucky ill see the cut scene. Sometimes i just appear under the tutorial map for a few minutes.

I'm based in the UK, so it's probably down to BT throttling everything until after midnight my time. But really, i wanted to say i was also having problems, with poor fps / lag and the rubber banding.

I've tried all the lowest settings and it doesn't affect how it plays out.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    bhahahah.. I find it funny that everyone is complaining STILL about FPS issues.

Hey, heads up everyone. Cryptic REFUSES to acknowledge SHITTY performance on high-end machines.

I have made multiple, multiple posts requesting clarification on the frame rate issue, to which they are COMPLETELY IGNORING the issue until after launch.

Check my sig. It's been awhile waiting on a response,

Garbage customer service if you ask me. Refuses to even SAY its a problem?

sigh.

EDIT: Oh heads up.. I just realized cryptic removed ALL POSTS RELATED TO FPS/PERFORMANCE issues from their forum before going retail. (They were there last night when I was *****ing........Now they aren't)

LOLOLOL..
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah the low fps is still happening just like in open beta, please fix this devs. It's not my pc either.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    well ive just cancled this second from play.com :( Shame ive been waiting for it since march :(..lets hope aion has a better grip on things.. ive heard its very polished :D I hope they do sort it out tho it could be a nice little game in time :(
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    look at the sticky in this section and try turning off your UI by pressing ALT F12..or CRTL F12. see if it those a difference.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    bhahahah..

EDIT: Oh heads up.. I just realized cryptic removed ALL POSTS RELATED TO FPS/PERFORMANCE issues from their forum before going retail. (They were there last night when I was *****ing........Now they aren't)

LOLOLOL..

EEEK.. i remmeber when AoC did something Similer.. Ppl moaning about textures flashing.. >< that was over a year ago.. i played it the otehrday as a trial to test out my pc.. still flashy bits in it :(...
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm in the same boat too - i create a character, it loads me into the tutorial, and i rubberband for the next 10-15 minutes. If im lucky ill see the cut scene. Sometimes i just appear under the tutorial map for a few minutes.

I'm based in the UK, so it's probably down to BT throttling everything until after midnight my time. But really, i wanted to say i was also having problems, with poor fps / lag and the rubber banding.

I've tried all the lowest settings and it doesn't affect how it plays out.

Beetle - there are lots of BT users suffering problems (me too) but I used a program called ping plotter to trace the route to the us - all seems ok uk side, but ping / packet loss goes through the roof when it hits the us. I've posted in another thread with all the details and asked for help interpreting what the issue might be.

and for what its worth, I tried a little app that supposedly sniffs out and detects throttling programs that ISPs use... my BT connection was clean (or they are using a methio this app doesnt detect).

vampe
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hi dudes, there is a dev post sticky on this section asking some test to solve the performance issues that many of us have even with high specs. If you want you could help too. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Hey, heads up everyone. Cryptic REFUSES to acknowledge SHITTY performance on high-end machines.

I have made multiple, multiple posts requesting clarification on the frame rate issue, to which they are COMPLETELY IGNORING the issue until after launch.

sigh.

LOLOLOL..

You serius? Watch the sticky post in this section and stop to charge people. Be mature. They are trying to fix the issue and surely they do just give them time.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

The "Official" thread is still here.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

sigh.

LOLOLOL..

Same deal here...I have more than enough under the 'hood' of my newest tower but I can't even get passed the login part w/o seeing the error D3D pop up on me. I posted it last night and it got wiped. So I reposted the issue. I wonder how long it will last b4 being wiped off :c
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Vampe wrote:
    Beetle - there are lots of BT users suffering problems (me too) but I used a program called ping plotter to trace the route to the us - all seems ok uk side, but ping / packet loss goes through the roof when it hits the us. I've posted in another thread with all the details and asked for help interpreting what the issue might be.

and for what its worth, I tried a little app that supposedly sniffs out and detects throttling programs that ISPs use... my BT connection was clean (or they are using a methio this app doesnt detect).

vampe

Cheers Vampe, I'll look into some things. I get the same when doing updates for games before midnight, too. especially city of heroes (bottoms out to 800 bytes a second when updating), if i update after midnight, whaddaya know 200-300k a second.... I know BT throttle, even when they say they don't, but only on certain ports.
    I asked a long time ago whether this game uses ports, and could someone post them. I never heard back ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    For those saying it isn't your PC, it is. Yes, the game isn't optimised to balance between GPU and CPU at this time, but it is indeed your PC that is causing it to have low FPS.

Fact is, if you have a dual/quad core proc older than 1 year, you probably have slower framefrates.

As a side note, I overclocked my proc on one of our PCs by only a little this afternoon, and frames went up by about 15-20. I think I could tweak it a bit to get a good balance out of it.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Diluant wrote:
    For those saying it isn't your PC, it is. Yes, the game isn't optimised to balance between GPU and CPU at this time, but it is indeed your PC that is causing it to have low FPS.

Fact is, if you have a dual/quad core proc older than 1 year, you probably have slower framefrates.

As a side note, I overclocked my proc on one of our PCs by only a little this afternoon, and frames went up by about 15-20. I think I could tweak it a bit to get a good balance out of it.

No, I'd say it is the software. Why would it make a diff if the CPU is older than a year? This game isn't cutting edge by any stretch. If anything, the graphics are pretty basic, straight out of 4-5 years ago. If this was like Crysis 3.0 or something, I'd see "oh well you need a new CPU". The code isn't optimized or something.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Chillyo wrote:
    look at the sticky in this section and try turning off your UI by pressing ALT F12..or CRTL F12. see if it those a difference.

Just fyi for my eairler post in this thread, UI off i get a stable 60fps, vsync on.

UI is the problem...
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    AvengerUK wrote:
    Same here, exactly what youve discribed.

FPS all over the place, goes down really low 20's etc - Very very un-smooth gameplay.

My specs are:

AMD Phenom II 920
    4GB Ram
    GTX 285
    Vista x64
    Rez: 1680x1050

Would love to be able to get it to run smoothly, atleast

I had the problem on my old pc too, in beta stage.

more 'advanced' craphic seems to be issue as is the fact your using a 64 bit vista

Not a techy but people have already talked about optimization issues. submit info to devs and wait for updates.

ITs not a crappy computers it just not fully mainstream. Games aim for masses not specific specs
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    So, I don't have a good spec on my rig, I know that (I'm running a P4 3.0ghz 2gb ram and a gtx 250) but I still fall into the minimum spec range. But even on lowest setting, lowest Rez, my fps rarely exceeds 10. With UI off, it can go up to 20-30 in unpopulated areas. Just wanted to let people see it's not just the highend rigs with problems.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Diluant wrote:

Sorry, but that's crap.

I've been reading these posts about low fps since Closed Beta, and some of the specs people posted from their rigs were not over a year old.

We should not have to overclock our CPU's to improve performance in this game. Actually, let me rephrase that - we should not have to overclock our CPU's to get the game to do what it is supposed to in the first place.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wow they actually removed all the fps issue threads....

:mad: oh im so glad i tried the beta to see the subpar performance this engine runs on and still they wont even reply to this.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I have 4 CPUs and I don't even know how to overclock them
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Diluant wrote:

BS, my PC has a dual core thats a year or so old, and I can still run most games at max with little to no problem. I totally shouldn't have to OC to run the game at respectable levels. If I can run Crysis at High/Max with good FPS, I shouldn't have a problem on this game... it's that simple.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'm getting 9fps with the video set to "recommended"... these are my specs.

- corei7 2.66ghz
    - 6 gigs of mem
    - geforce gtx 285 2gig
    - windows7 64

Ithe sad thing being, my 15" macbook pro botting into windows7 run's the game very smoothly. Yet this monster of a setup can't even run it.

very disappointed.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Its poorly optimized, Most likely they have it optimized for their Xbox 360 release and left us PC Users lost in the wind, Most of us already paid in full for the preorder, Now their eyes are green with the thoughts of more cash from another release, Notice how not one Dev or moderator hasnt told us a single thing except, Turn off the UI and claimed every last one of us has a rig over 2 years old and shouldnt try anything past low, What do they take us for? I personaly Loved Cryptic, CoH and V, I looked forward to this for over two years and now its here, And most users break double digit frame rates, Say something Cryptic, If us, The pc gamers matter, Give us a responce aside from telling us to upgrade our computers.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If you monitor the temperature of your GPU you'll notice it sits rather idle compared to other games, there was a thread about this during beta but vanished in the wipe and got no real attention from the devs then either. Seeing how the main powerhouse in most desktops is the GPU, the poor performance can be attributed to the load the GPU should be taking being given to the CPU.
    Cheska probably has it right, since the XBox360 has a much more powerful CPU when compared to its GPU it makes sense to push load towards it so the game probably runs great on the Xbox. But if the rendering engine is left largely the same for PC users, people without high performance CPUs are left behind regardless of their GPU.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yep, As always as of late, The Console gamer gets gold, While the pc gamer gets Sloppy seconds, Left overs that barely run no matter how good of a rig you have.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    BT Internet users - email them and get them to turn off interleaving. It will lower your ping with little effect elsewhere.

And yes, it's yet another MMO which has serious issues on high-spec PC's. All of which seem to be really CPU limited. I've got an E8500 running at 3.3GHz with an overclocked 4870.

A simple test to find out where the bottleneck is - reduce the resolution, and, if the framerate stays about the same, then it's a CPU bottleneck.

I'm getting totally random framerates as well. Turning off AA sometimes makes no difference and turning AA up to 8x sometimes makes no difference - very strange.

If we knew which options are CPU heavy, we could turn them off.

Mildly disgruntled which will rise to mightly fekk'd off if it isn't addressed very soon.