test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reporting Performance Problems

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited April 2015 in PC & Technical Issues
If you are asked to provide us with more information on unexpectedly poor performance, please follow these steps:
  1. In the Champions launcher/patcher, click Options, and under "Advanced Command Line", enter the following:
    -SetTestingMode -threadPerf -showfps
  2. Then start the game normally (you should see a bunch of debugging information in the lower left part of the screen)
  3. In game, navigate to a location which demonstrates the poor performance.
  4. Run the command /timerRecordStart perfbug (No visible prompt or chat text will appear although it is recording to the log file)
  5. Wait no more than a couple seconds and then run /timerRecordEnd
  6. Run this command to generate a screenshot:
    /screenshot_ui_jpg
  7. Create a new email to profiler@crypticstudios.com . In this email, please mention your character name and account name.
  8. Attach the file created in step 3, which is located in <Champions Installation Folder>\Champions Online\Live\profiler\ and should be named perfbug.profiler.pf or perfbug.pf (e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Champions Online\Champions Online\Live\profiler\perfbug.profiler.pf ). This file must not be larger than 2MB, otherwise repeat steps 4 and 5, but do not wait before running the second command.
  9. Also attach the screenshot created in step 6 (screen shots are saved to Champions installation folder\Champions Online\Live\screenshots)
  10. Submit an in-game bug report (click on the Game Support button (has a question mark icon) in the upper right and choose Report a Bug), category "Other", this will provide us with any information we require about your system configuration. Mention in the bug report that you have also emailed profiler.
  11. Then exit, go back to the Options in the launcher, and remove the options from the "advanced command line".

Do not post specific performance problems to this thread (other threads in this forum are fine).
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2009
    is this for general performance issues or just if we find a place in game with bad performance??
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This is for if a developer askes for additional information (which we have started doing in some threads). This is most useful for general performanec issues where a system configuration is above the recommended requirements but still getting unexpectedly low (20fps or less) performance.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Wasteland wrote: »
    This is for if a developer askes for additional information (which we have started doing in some threads). This is most useful for general performanec issues where a system configuration is above the recommended requirements but still getting unexpectedly low (20fps or less) performance.

That's why I emailed one just now.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I'd love to submit one of these if I could stay in game long enough before the game freezes to do one. ^^;
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I put the commands in as you said, but after exiting the game I could not find a folder named "profiler" in my Champions Online Installation.

I don't know what I did wrong, but I'll keep trying. Anyways, I get all around bad performance. In areas that aren't too populated I manage to get between 25-35 FPS and in heavily populated areas (like the starting area) I get around 5-12 FPS. I have tweaked my settings a lot and my current setup is playing at 1360x768, V-Sync Off, Half Resolution Off, and the in game settings at maximum.

For some reason when I hit the "advanced" button for graphical options it just makes my game run worse. If I put everything on low I get an ok frame rate, but still pretty low considering my hardware.

Windows Vista Home Premium (64 Bit)
    Q8300 2.5 GHz
    4GB of 800 MHz RAM
    Radeon HD4850 1GB

My OS is fully updated and cleanly installed, my Hard Drive is defragmented daily, I have a Quad Core CPU, plenty of RAM with almost no background processes running while playing. My graphics card may not be considered "high end", but it is a somewhat recent card and I can run Crysis on High with 30 FPS.

I don't play betas too much so I don't know exactly if my performance is where it is suppose to be right now. All I'm going to say is if my performance is the same or very close to what it is right now on launch week then I am going to be very disappointed.

Hopefully this information helps. I'll keep trying to send that data to you guys once I find the file...

EDIT: OCing my GPU and putting the fan speed at max barely changes the performance. I'm using the 9.8 CCC drivers which just came out recently. It took so long to patch for Open Beta that I couldn't test the 9.7 drivers.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sojin wrote: »
    I put the commands in as you said, but after exiting the game I could not find a folder named "profiler" in my Champions Online Installation.

Nor could I.

At least you can get above 20 FPS at times.
    Everything on low gives me 13 FPS in low population areas.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Cant find the folder here either, 10 - 20 fps here reccomended settings, 8800gts 512, 3gb ram + amd phenom x4 2.6ghz.

something isnt right..
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    garbanian wrote: »
    Nor could I.

At least you can get above 20 FPS at times.
    Everything on low gives me 13 FPS in low population areas.

I feel your pain, lets just hope that this is all because of the beta and debugger etc and that the game will get a nice performance boost and patch on day one.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    press alt-f12 and watch your FPS shoot up:) i sent a ticket about it.Very odd the UI can sap so much from the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    sounds great... if only I could stay in the frikking game... keep getting "server not responding" ... and get disconnected back to the log-in screen.

Closed beta worked a hell of a lot better
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    drazat wrote: »
    press alt-f12 and watch your FPS shoot up:) i sent a ticket about it.Very odd the UI can sap so much from the game.

Wish that helped me >_<
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    E-mail sent, and ticket submitted as requested.

Nice to finally see a response about this - here's hoping it actually makes a difference.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    drazat wrote: »
    This didn't help at all. My FPS might have changed, but it would of been such a small increase I didn't notice.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just goin on record that I submitted an email and bug report.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i get the wierdest lag once i select a target... and only when i select a target do i get lag in this game. I dont see how selecting a target could cause me to lag when im running on a i7 processor 12 gigs of ddr3 ram vista 64 bit and 2 275 gtxs its so strange i even tried changing it from outline to box and it still lags when i use box targeting
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ehrie wrote: »
    I'd love to submit one of these if I could stay in game long enough before the game freezes to do one. ^^;

Mine starts out ok then suddly drops to 1-3 fps. The keyboard is nearly unusable at that point, so so far I can't run the log because I can't make the entry when it happens.

BTW: I have this identical issue in City of Villains. But not in World of Warcraft or any other game to my knowledge. Occurs on my Q9000, 4gb Vista 64, Nvidian 9700M laptop. Has never happened on my new I7 9gb vista 64 nvidia 260gtx. Has also never happened on my older Core Duo XP with 2gb ram, 2ghz, and ATI Mobility 1600.

Only the primary laptop that I usually use for game playing #(

So far I have reimaged the laptop, used old drivers, used new drivers, stopped all programs before running, left all programs running, no obvious relevance to the timing on the crash no matter what I do.

I'll try the logging thing again later.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Might just be me, but everyone that seems to have a problem with their frame rate states they have an Intel Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad. Not everyone, but most at least.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    radeon 4800 HD 1gb ddr5 900mhz core (updated drivers), 2gb ddr2 ram, sata-1 600gb hard drive, 3.0 ghz dual core e8400 intel processor

In-game 20 FPS indoor of an instanced boss, 10 outside, 5 while moving outside.

All settings are minimum. Framerate smoothing options are off. Same with windowed or fullscreen. Same regardless of hardware graphic setting program.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    i tried as well the commands above but couldn't find them
    my FPS is very bad
    very low i can't really move around without a 2 sec delay on everything from spells to movement
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Where am I able to view my FPS? I can't seem to find it. I'm curious to see what I running. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    /showfps 1

That will show it on screen in the game.

----

Running a Dual Core 3.0 Ghz CPU, 4GB RAM, 8800 GT OC and getting barely 20 fps on the recommended graphic option. =\
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    xing wrote: »
    /showfps 1

That will show it on screen in the game.

----

Running a Dual Core 3.0 Ghz CPU, 4GB RAM, 8800 GT OC and getting barely 20 fps on the recommended graphic option. =\

You're awesome thanks bro!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    wow my fps was 10 at most.

Well here hoping they fix it.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I seriously doubt that there's going to be any obvious pattern in the hardware. These are popular and common processors and gfx cards, so there are likely a large number of people using them with no problem.

Also, reading is tech:
    Wasteland wrote:
    Do not post specific performance problems to this thread (other threads in this forum are fine).
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    KillaK390 wrote: »
    i get the wierdest lag once i select a target... and only when i select a target do i get lag in this game. I dont see how selecting a target could cause me to lag when im running on a i7 processor 12 gigs of ddr3 ram vista 64 bit and 2 275 gtxs its so strange i even tried changing it from outline to box and it still lags when i use box targeting

I also get that occasionally. It's really really irratating. i7 with 6 gigs here, but oc'd to 3.7 ghz and a brace of gtx 285's
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    really happy thier now looking into this and we can provide further information for them this is great, maybe by launch we'll be running alot better!
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    This should be a sticky post, as the forum is quite active and this post is quite important to help Cryptics fix this as soon as possible...
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    champions online runs very laggy for me :( and yet my pc can handle Aion on full settings at 1920x1080 and play smooth as silk.
    Shame really as i was looking forward to playing champions online but it looks like the poor performance is gonna make me not get this game
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Agreed. I do not see my self paying for the game until this problem has be resolved.
    I really enjoy the game and i want to play but i don't want to play its not working.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Done I submitted my pf!
    Hope you guys can grind the performance out, If you do it while the lifetime support deal is still going ill lifetime subscribe!!!!
    Hope you guys get it done :D
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    submitted mines as well.

Will a Dev respond to my ticket to confirm or do I just have to assume I did it right?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Submitted.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    bumping to the top.

can we get this stickied?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hey guys, I'll submit mine shortly, but this is a pretty big issue for me, the game is almost unplayable and my system can run Crysis decently. I don't mean to sound like "that guy" but unless this is fixed within the "free" month (preferably before official launch), I can't imagine me subscribing.

Unfortunately, its so bad on my system that I basically can't play until it's resolved, and it's across all resolutions, big or small. So I can't really give any input on the beta or other bugs. Don't mean to sound mean, rude or caustic, but this looks to be a fantastic game, and I'm just a tad bummed I can't play it even semi-decently as things are now and I hope this is resolved quickly.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hey guys, I'll submit mine shortly, but this is a pretty big issue for me, the game is almost unplayable and my system can run Crysis decently. I don't mean to sound like "that guy" but unless this is fixed within the "free" month (preferably before official launch), I can't imagine me subscribing.

Unfortunately, its so bad on my system that I basically can't play until it's resolved, and it's across all resolutions, big or small. So I can't really give any input on the beta or other bugs. Don't mean to sound mean, rude or caustic, but this looks to be a fantastic game, and I'm just a tad bummed I can't play it even semi-decently as things are now and I hope this is resolved quickly.

You took the exact speech right out of my mouth. I'm going to have to second you on this, entirely.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Third!

lets keep the chain going!
  • Options
    edited August 2009

4th'd:mad:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I am just happy to know that this is an actual issue and not something wrong with my computer. Don't get me wrong, it stinks considering I have been looking forward to this game since I pre-ordered it at a Gamestop and now I get 16fps while standing around in the Canada area...and I'm down to about 6fps at lowest in combat.

I have met all of the Required system specs. Thank you Cryptic for adding the post and I will be submitting my data tonight. :D

Edit: Also to add im running on the lowest video settings
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Add me to the list of people that are at or above the recommended specs. I have tried changing the video settings and i see little to no difference when making graphics higher or lower(even tried putting everything on low and everything at high and had barely any performance change). I drift anywhere from about 15-25 fps in and out of combat.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It seems to me the one thing we have in common is that Champions isn't utilizing all of our system power, or it COULD run smooth.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sent the prefbug file and an in game ticket. If this problem isn't fixed very soon then I'm not subscribing.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Hey guys, we know that it's frustrating when you have performance issues and can't play the game as it's intended. I want to let you know that it's not happening to everyone thankfully, but we ARE actively researching the cause so that we can fix it as soon as possible.

Thanks again for being so patient.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I dont quite care about the people is ISNT happening to... im more interested in WHO is its happening to, and what is being done to fix it?
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yea I admit I could care less about everyone else that aren't having problems. It makes no sense I get about 25 fps for about half an hour to 45 mins then as the servers get fuller boom my frame rate regardless of setings hits about 5 fps. My computer exceeds the Minimum system specs and I expect there to be some bottlenecking because I have an older dual core Pentium D but to play like ultra crap and my CPU to be maxed out at 100% ... I mean maybe I'll feel better if I knew if this had a debugger running on it since that always affects programs but it still saddens me because I really enjoy the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sent in the profiler/perfbug myself, as while I dont meet all "reccomended" requirements, I would still think Im far enough above "minimum" that when running with all graphic options toggled off or to their max performance rating, I still only get 5-15 FPS at best.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I am also experiencing the 5 - 10 fps I can push it to 20 FPS with everything on low.

My System specs are

Intel Core2duo 2 gig
    3 gigs of Ram
    Nvidia 9500M GS with 512 vid memory.
    Running Windows 7 RC
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    yup same problem with me. getting pretty terrible framerate with a pretty decent system that got 60-70 fps on WoW.

I, too, know wow and champions have different graphical requirements. I'm just saying, I feel like I should be at least getting a steady 30-40 fps with my system:

Quad core phenom 9500
    4 gb ram
    nvidia geforce 8300

I know my graphics card could use an upgrade, but i still should be able to run CO without any probs. I realize its beta, also. Just letting tech guys know so they can work on it.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Adding my 2 cents

Core2Duo @ 3.6 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Windows 7 RC x64 and XP x86 (performance is the same for me)
    Radeon HD4770
    Catalyst 9.8
    SoundBlaster X-Fi w/latest drivers
    1920x1080 resolution

Every other MMO I play is on max or near-max settings at 60 FPS (WoW, CoX, Aion). In CO on recommended I get about 25 -30 FPS standing still, which can drop into single digits when panning or flying. In remote areas it can go into the mid to high 30s. If I switch to lowest setting, and even dropping the resolution to 1280x720, the best I get is in the 50s.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I've sent in a profiler report and bug ticket for my major performance issue, which is a huge FPS hit in Force Station Steelhead that seems to be related to texture loading. Performance in the game is generally surprisingly low, given that my system can run EQ2 (known to be brutal!) at very high settings and pull 50-60 fps.

Core 2 Duo E8400
    Windows 7 RTM x64 (*not* the RC -- hurrah for Volume Licensing and TechNet :) )
    4gb RAM
    nVidia GeForce 9800GT (notably a card often mentioned in these reports)
    SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum
    1680x1050 resolution

This is with Shadows at Medium and a lot of the post-processing turned down or off. Shadows High is lethal to performance on my system; I end up at 20 fps at best in the tutorial with that.

I'll be sending in another report of a place I know in Millennium City that brings my computer to its knees, if it's still doing that. ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Awen wrote:
    Hey guys, we know that it's frustrating when you have performance issues and can't play the game as it's intended. I want to let you know that it's not happening to everyone thankfully, but we ARE actively researching the cause so that we can fix it as soon as possible.

Thanks again for being so patient.

Can u tell me (the least amount of system requirements i need) to play because i keep clicking on low graphics and the description says i wont lag but ill have poor graphics meaning it should let me play and ive been trying to play the beta to know if this is worth the 200$ or 60$ to play......or at all.. plz help by making it so even low quality pc's can play it or at least just the beta being that theirs only like 10 days left now.. need help before game comes out and id really like to buy this instead of (DC universe online) :(