test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The new AT

So what are people thinking we need as the new AT? a water power? a sonic? maybe a badger?

Comments

• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    edited February 17
    We need either:

- Gadgeteering DPS
    - Earth DPS
    - Celestial DPS
    - Celestial Support (a pure one)
    - Force Support
    - Sonic DPS (gadget/might/HW fusion potentially)

I think there's quite a few questions which need to be answered before this CC because there's lots of different takes based on what was written.

"It's time to add a new Archetype, and their visual design will be all yours! In this upcoming costume contest, you get to design the costume and framework for a brand new Archetype. The winner's costume will be used for a brand new Archetype in Champions Online, and the winner will also get to pick the framework for the Archetype's powers. The winner also gets to pick the Archetype's name! (But we have veto power.)"

If this really means we could potentially add a new powerset...then that's huge...but if its "select from existing stuff" which is what I'd expect...then its still interesting but I wonder if "framework" is like...

"Yay you have won! Which framework? Oh, Celestial? Great! We'll let you know the build for this new AT! Thanks Champion!"

or something more involved...
  • Options
    m1ndfr1km1ndfr1k Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited February 17
    the new AT must have a "Grinder" name or mby "The Archetype For those who have cheats only" or something like "will be nerfed after release but who cares coz we have melle dps with more shields than tank defensive passive and that is fair "
    Post edited by m1ndfr1k on
  • Options
    areeeareee Posts: 833 Arc User
    The appearance.. would probably entail just the basic cosmetics. It's been so long I dunno if I remember what the basic stuff is anymore. XD
  • Options
    booherman8booherman8 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 23
    Druid (hybrid)
    The Druid has the ability to transform into various animals and control the forces of nature.
    Post edited by booherman8 on
  • Options
    booherman8 wrote: »
    Druid (hybrid)
    The Druid has the ability to transform into various animals and control the forces of nature. For example, a Druid can transform into a bear to increase their strength and defense, or into a wolf to become faster and increase their critical strike chance. He can also summon animals to help and use ancient spells to protect, attack and heal allies.iom3zk96xlpl.png
    tdbqvytrmhy2.png

That looks incredible!
  • Options
    Apparently we don't have enough DPS ATs, so the Devs ""chose"" one more.

Seriously, I'm disappointed with this unoriginal choice for this contest. I saw really interesting concepts, which have been desired for years in CO and I'm sure many of you agree with me, in particular:

Paladins (Tank / Support)
    Shaman/Druids (Hybrid/Support)
    Celestial DPS
    Ego Shield (Tank)
    And surprisingly I only saw ONE Shield Hero, like Capt. America (Tank)
    And only ONE with Musical theme (Hybrid / Support/ CC)

To all the players who did these mentioned, you are the real winners, thank you.
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    So, what was chosen?

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    tymmistertymmister Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 24
    warcanch wrote: »
    So, what was chosen?
    I'm curious as well...unless its the Druid above,

I was at work, but I would have submitted my idea of a weather controller (like Storm, for example) since i saw so many cool ideas and that was one I had not seen yet.
  • Options
    So, what was chosen?
    tymmister wrote: »
    So, what was chosen?

I was at work, but I would have submitted my idea of a weather controller (like Storm, for example) since i saw so many cool ideas and that was one I had not seen yet.

"The Fissile", Some kind of Radioactive/Toxic Ranged DPS. It wasn't a bad idea, but not as good as several competitors in the contest, especially in terms of other underrated roles/powers.
  • Options
    thisiscraftaaathisiscraftaaa Posts: 192 Arc User
    So, what was chosen?
    tymmister wrote: »

12ANKDI.png

Seen thrice, roughly spliced together in Windows Paint.

The intent (I'm holding onto the text file I've got it written out in) was a Dex/Ego/End Guardian/Overseer gadgeteering DPS (primarily PBR) with some choice-between powers to mix in a tiny bit of PA, LS and/or Archery, and with some focus on Plasma Burn stacks for self as well as maintaining a Rune (choice between Taser Arrow and Bad Sector) both for personal utility and team utility. Though, that's the "I'm taking this to the CC" idea; the post-dev-revision idea hasn't been talked out at all yet.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to reach out to the devs as soon as possible first for the talks, or if the they'll be reaching out to me on their own time and I'm supposed to wait. Since they're the ones running the show? I'm defaulting to the latter to start with, but I'll try and reach out if there's nothing for a while.
    Defender save my soul, for I have sinned...
  • Options
    vonqballvonqball Posts: 924 Arc User
    That's.... something. And pretty much as expected.
    Apparently we don't have enough DPS ATs, so the Devs ""chose"" one more.

Seriously, I'm disappointed with this unoriginal choice for this contest. I saw really interesting concepts, which have been desired for years in CO and I'm sure many of you agree with me, in particular:

Paladins (Tank / Support)
    Shaman/Druids (Hybrid/Support)
    Celestial DPS
    Ego Shield (Tank)
    And surprisingly I only saw ONE Shield Hero, like Capt. America (Tank)
    And only ONE with Musical theme (Hybrid / Support/ CC)

To all the players who did these mentioned, you are the real winners, thank you.

Well said

• Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited February 26
    It was over for me when I learned they aren't going to make any new Powers nor add new ADVs to existing powers

I knew DEVs would pick Safe concepts

Because you know damn well i would sneak with Elemental Melee Archetype ideas!

I want elemental melee so much to become real and normalized in the basic Gameplay, I'm Coping and Seething at this point!

I wish a lot more players joined the DEV CC with EARTH DPS and CELESTIAL DPS :grimace:
    Because if you are going to make exclusively a new DPS AT, you could at least pick the powerframe that desperately needs DPS Revamp pass and not something that is already good on DPS tables
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    If my character wouldn't time out due to me being afk for Real Life aggro during the bulk of every Dev CC, I could park some concept char and check on the outcome when I get back to the game.

Personally would have liked some attention made to Celestial and/or Earth.

However, most sets could use more powers that ROUND OUT the utility, AoE, single-target, etc. Of course, what would help the most is something they CAN NOT do: set the damage TYPE independently on each or many powers.

• Options
    edited February 26
    I rather choose water DPS and Support.
  • Options
    Hey! No fair you guys! I heard it first! I told him I choose water AT!
  • Options
    criswolf09criswolf09 Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited February 26
    I was hoping for something in the tech tree...
    Useful Guides about Archetypes and General Gameplay of the Game Click Here
  • Options
    yuberxeno wrote: »
    We need new judges. That's what we need.

TRUTH

That contest was a joke.

People spent a lot of time putting detailed information in the bios of their entry, only to have it completely ignored.

I think the subtleties of many costumes are missed. Most just take a few seconds to look and then move on. Many of my concepts receive kudos from the other players while we are playing. You need to see some in action to "get it".

For example:
    My Grey alien character. Notice the chains as bracers and find out he is part of a symbiotic pair. My Grey is the "restrainer", hence the chains. Companion (Gray) is the prober, hence some of his lengthy, protruding things. And the use of the Character map letters for "alien speak". Subtle stuff that is not seen on a 3 second lookover at a CC.

• Options
    > @theravenforce said:
    > We need either:
    >
    > - Gadgeteering DPS
    > - Earth DPS
    > - Celestial DPS
    > - Celestial Support (a pure one)
    > - Force Support
    > - Sonic DPS (gadget/might/HW fusion potentially)
    >
    > I think there's quite a few questions which need to be answered before this CC because there's lots of different takes based on what was written.
    >
    > "It's time to add a new Archetype, and their visual design will be all yours! In this upcoming costume contest, you get to design the costume and framework for a brand new Archetype. The winner's costume will be used for a brand new Archetype in Champions Online, and the winner will also get to pick the framework for the Archetype's powers. The winner also gets to pick the Archetype's name! (But we have veto power.)"
    >
    > If this really means we could potentially add a new powerset...then that's huge...but if its "select from existing stuff" which is what I'd expect...then its still interesting but I wonder if "framework" is like...
    >
    > "Yay you have won! Which framework? Oh, Celestial? Great! We'll let you know the build for this new AT! Thanks Champion!"
    >
    > or something more involved...

What about water? Don’t forget water.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    > @theravenforce said:
    > We need either:
    >
    > - Gadgeteering DPS
    > - Earth DPS
    > - Celestial DPS
    > - Celestial Support (a pure one)
    > - Force Support
    > - Sonic DPS (gadget/might/HW fusion potentially)
    >
    > I think there's quite a few questions which need to be answered before this CC because there's lots of different takes based on what was written.
    >
    > "It's time to add a new Archetype, and their visual design will be all yours! In this upcoming costume contest, you get to design the costume and framework for a brand new Archetype. The winner's costume will be used for a brand new Archetype in Champions Online, and the winner will also get to pick the framework for the Archetype's powers. The winner also gets to pick the Archetype's name! (But we have veto power.)"
    >
    > If this really means we could potentially add a new powerset...then that's huge...but if its "select from existing stuff" which is what I'd expect...then its still interesting but I wonder if "framework" is like...
    >
    > "Yay you have won! Which framework? Oh, Celestial? Great! We'll let you know the build for this new AT! Thanks Champion!"
    >
    > or something more involved...

What about water? Don’t forget water.

We were advised that no new frameworks (i.e. any powerset that doesn't currently exist in game) would be considered as concepts. Unfortunately this was not fully communicated in the blogpost.
  • Options
    omega2764omega2764 Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 27
    booherman8 wrote: »
    Druid (hybrid)
    The Druid has the ability to transform into various animals and control the forces of nature.

Was my concept with my entry Wican. Though since it was no-new powers I figured closest was summons, lots of.

• Options
    captmidnight01captmidnight01 Posts: 4 Arc User
    yuberxeno wrote: »
    We need new judges. That's what we need.

TRUTH

That contest was a joke.

People spent a lot of time putting detailed information in the bios of their entry, only to have it completely ignored.

I think the subtleties of many costumes are missed. Most just take a few seconds to look and then move on. Many of my concepts receive kudos from the other players while we are playing. You need to see some in action to "get it".

For example:
    My Grey alien character. Notice the chains as bracers and find out he is part of a symbiotic pair. My Grey is the "restrainer", hence the chains. Companion (Gray) is the prober, hence some of his lengthy, protruding things. And the use of the Character map letters for "alien speak". Subtle stuff that is not seen on a 3 second lookover at a CC.

You would think that for a new archetype, a BIT more time would be spent besides a cursory glance at the character.

• Options
    edited March 30
    I don't understand this! NOTHING in the news article about the DEV CC mention anything about Writing Bios!

DEVs steaming CO and opening other players' bios is a griefing disaster waiting to happen!

Open Bio! It's full of Slurs and Ascii Art of something inappropriate! Then BAM! BANNED FROM TWITCH

There were people in the past that would take advantage of the fact Kael knows absolutely nothing about the game in order to PM him and sent him messages with inappropriate titles and things LIVE on steam!
    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited March 29
    They were Banned from Twitch? That's sucks.
    Post edited by ultimategamerxx#7465 on
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    Why would you put ASCII art, particularly inappropriate ASCII art, into the bio of your CO character? I'm not following. And if one were to do so, would the banhammer not be more appropriately applied in-game, where you wrote it?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited March 30
    jonsills wrote: »
    Why would you put ASCII art, particularly inappropriate ASCII art, into the bio of your CO character? I'm not following.
    Because some people are horrible human beings!? Made even worse in Online games! With Creative Tools!

Trolling, Griefing, Edgelords, Shock-value to strangers who are gonna open your Bio out of curiosity,

And for TWITCH case, just causing harm the steamer(s) who can open it on Screen!

This is why we can't have nice things!
    jonsills wrote: »
    And if one were to do so, would the banhammer not be more appropriately applied in-game, where you wrote it?
    That would require someone to report the bio beforehand, an ACTIVE™ GM™ to take immediately action and the profanity filter ingame can't get Ascii art

Twitch has Suspended/Banned steamers in the past for things on their Screens that have been OUT of their control

Bottom line is, There was never any mention of creating BIOS for the CC
    And making a DEV CC that would require them to show players' Bios on the screen would be a Disaster waiting to happen!
    People have attempted to Grief and Troll DEV CCs before
  • Options
    I’ve wrote a wish list for future archetype powers to give a message to Kaiserin and other Devs on Champions Online.

1. The Spout (Water Support)
    2. The Isotope (Radioactive DPS)
    3. The Megalith (Earth DPS)
    4. The Nuclear (Radioactive Tank)
    5. The Angel (Celestial Support)
    6. The Spore (Nature Support)
    7. The Temporal (Time Travel Hybrid)
    8. The Scorch (Fire Tank)
    9. The Wizard (Sorcery Support)
    10. The Fissile (Gadgeteering DPS)
    11. The Surge (Water DPS)
    12. The Spark (Electric Tank)
    13. The Volt (Electric Support)
    14. The Repulsion (Force Support)
    15. The Rubber (Elastic DPS)
    16. The Siren (Sonic DPS)
    17. The Parasite (Bio Tank)
    18. The Mastermind (Telepathy Hybrid)
    19. The Monkey King (Staff Weapon DPS)
    20. The Deflector (Shield Weapon Tank)
    21. The Kinetic (Force DPS)
    22. The Projector (Force Tank)
    23. The Torment (Darkness Tank)
  • Options
    locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 332 Arc User
    I personally think CO has the bases firmly covered within reason. I think improving the core combat engine and improving the aesthetics of the NPCs, enemies and bosses (not all, but like..98%) should be the absolute, definitive priority. Playability is virtually everything today for the average gamer who can adore your product, if it hits properly. CO no longer slaps. The combat just kills it. And I mean you can get around the rubber band targeting and stuff, but the world just looks horrible - and the better we all start to look, the more noticeable it becomes.

Having said that, I think a staff/spear weapon classification would be cool if done properly. Problem is, properly means a new animation set for all of the moves. You want to combine Chinese staff and spear techniques (which often overlap) from both soft and hard styles. You want it to present like a badass monk or anime warrior using a spear. Bow & Arrow stance, using what makes the spear/staff great; Speed, agility, range, mobility and unlimited, dynamic options. Would be pointless if we just get typical RPG staff/spear animations. Lumbering thrusts and European 2H sword swings - no. Just. No. lol
  • Options
    locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited April 26
    Examples of the elegant, masterful weapon that a spear (or staff) can be in the right hands.

https://youtu.be/QJDK-BnJXiY?si=Hw3z5FXrZP3fFjep

I am bias toward this because I mean, Jesus, look at it. But this is also the style my OC, Shaolin Kid, uses his staff in. Obviously for game standards you need to boil that way down to basics, and chose which moves work for what move requirements. But what you need for typical CO power types is there, in an absolute abundance.

I can literally picture the perfect, baseline skeletal power set, but it is hard to explain on whim to those who may or may not have varying knowledge of forms and techniques. Every technique which would fit CO powers is demonstrated in that video, though. To the point you have options for any given power, but some are more practical than others.

The spear and staff are the secret, unsung weapons of all fiction. Few fully understand the depth and efficiency of such of a weapon when considering how it has been conventionally used outside of Kung Fu movies and video games. When focused and grounded, using tactical, measured techniques and keeping flare (developed for 1-3 farmers to fend off small detachments of troops with farming tools) it is an altogether OP weapon. But for planting your feet like a sword fight, it is not. You have to move and maintain range as you batter your foe and wear them down, creating or exploiting openings with the swift, punishing and (hopefully) illusive spearhead or staff end. It is ideal for maintain a solid, dynamic offense whether backpedaling on defense, or pushing forward, or even disrupting opponents attempts to push in and maneuver; you're talking about the best pound for pound melee weapon ever conceived shy of a cattle prod.

This was a missed opportunity, but would be great to see added, somehow.