test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Particle Storm/Ultimate Particle Smashing Melee Build

So, this came out of my desire to do something than the good old Laser Sword for Ultimate Particle Smash ideas. I'm still playing with it myself, but wanted to see if anyone had improvement suggestions. I plan on tanking with it (possibly Cosmic, unsure at this point) but so far it seems to work.

The general idea is using Might, Elec, and a smattering of PA to do some Plasma Burn stacks or up the damage for such in boss fights. Thus far, the Sparkstorm and Storm Summoner surprisingly works incredible crazily well in AoE circumstances. Single targets and boss fight seems to be the main problem so far.

How can this be better and keeping the idea of a giant growing with electrical powers going on as well as unleashing the havoc of Ultimate Particle Storm on poor hapless bosses?

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Tank)
v3.45:38

Super Stats
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Rockstar (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
Level 6: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
Level 9: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
Level 12: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
Level 15: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 18: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Electric Bolt
Level 1: Sparkstorm (Electric Personality, Electric Jolt)
Level 6: Beatdown (Rank 2, Challenge!)
Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Impact Force
Level 14: Enrage (Giant Growth)
Level 17: Storm Summoner (Rank 2, Particle Storm, Challenge!)
Level 20: Chest Beam (Rank 2, Point Blank Blast)
Level 23: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
Level 26: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Thundering Return
Level 32: Resurgence
Level 35: Electric Sheath
Level 38: Particle Smash (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
Level 35: Heroic Flight (Rank 2)

Specializations
Strength: Swole (1/3)
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Aggression (1/2)
Strength: Brutality (2/2)
Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Slaughter (2/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (1/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)

Devices

Additional Notes:
Sparkstorm's Electric Jolt is for Plasma Burn adv.

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,814 Arc User
    The combo of Sparkstorm's toggle, Chest Beam's debuff, and Haymaker seems like it'd be strong for bosses too (assuming no energy issues). I'm unsure what Beatdown is being used for here, though, and the R1 AO is kinda weak. You may also want to consider getting Magnetic on Storm Summoner, but that's more up to you. You could also change Slaughter in Warden for Elusive, and Vind spec could be swapped for Protector spec if you want more of a defensive focus (though at the cost of some dps/threat). You could also get something like Endorphin Rush as another heal (Chest Beam could be de-ranked a bit to free up some adv points, assuming Chest Beam is just being tapped here).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • bladedragon80bladedragon80 Posts: 146 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »
    The combo of Sparkstorm's toggle, Chest Beam's debuff, and Haymaker seems like it'd be strong for bosses too (assuming no energy issues). I'm unsure what Beatdown is being used for here, though, and the R1 AO is kinda weak. You may also want to consider getting Magnetic on Storm Summoner, but that's more up to you. You could also change Slaughter in Warden for Elusive, and Vind spec could be swapped for Protector spec if you want more of a defensive focus (though at the cost of some dps/threat). You could also get something like Endorphin Rush as another heal (Chest Beam could be de-ranked a bit to free up some adv points, assuming Chest Beam is just being tapped here).

Thanks, flowcyto! Definitely a lot here I gotta think on just from playtesting it. AoE damage is insane with the elec side.

Beatdown was more filler. I do have energy issues from testing, so considering going with the old Ionic Reverb and tossing in a Lunge where Beatdown or Impact Force was. Investigating which would run better now. (Mostly which will proc more, and I thin Ionic Reverb's a winner in that part.)

The R1 AO's also proven useless like you said. Thanks for pointing that one out. Didn't even notice it with a cosmic fight I took this to. Endorphin Rush room! Love it.

If it wasn't for my being more melee setup w/ Str/Con/End, I would happily have a challenge on Chest Beam, but taking a rank off is a good idea in this case. It's only being tapped before applying a particle smash or ultimate particle smash.

Far as Storm Summoner, I am unsure on Magnetic. It would take a rank away, but at the same time would pull eyes in for more plasma burns/negative ions/etc. I'm currently leaning towards giving it a try.

Far as spec, that's something I definitely might look into. Elusive is a good call for me being more Tank oriented. I'm going to go with that. I'm unsure if I want to go Protector spec, even with the debuff I can apply and the idea of Hybrid Tanking going on. Vind's got the bigger benefit to me so far. I would love to hear your thoughts on it to see if I might be wrong.

On a side, my inner tokusatsu nerd is satisfied with the Sparkstorm/Storm Summoner/Enrage combination. You literally basically have your hands to the sky and slowly grow while lightning crashes all over. Very satisfying.

So, after all that, here's what I got.

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    Level 6: Ionic Reverberation
    Level 11: Lightning Strike
    Level 17: Storm Summoner (Magnetic, Particle Storm, Challenge!)
    Level 20: Chest Beam (Point Blank Blast)
    Level 35: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Particle Smash (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)

Travel Powers

Specializations
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)

Devices

Additional Notes:
    edited December 2023
    Keep in mind that Chest Beam's Burn Through debuff also boost's Crushing dmg, so it could also help Haymaker.

And yea, the combo of Sparkstorm's toggle and Storm Summoner (+ possible Particle Smash finish) is indeed quite satisfying for AoE. It's not a complex rotation or anything, but it's pretty fun to see the overlapping dmg numbers and the eventual final blast take enemies out.

I would prob stick w/ something like Ward_Guardicator specs for most content. I may consider something like Protector spec and/or Defiance (instead of Invuln) if one were having issues staying alive while main-tanking in harder content. But much of that is also due to gear, blocking and cd use, and who you're grouped with, so it's hard to say just by the build alone if something would need to change there.

Although Ionic Reverb can indeed be very good for energy return, it will be tied pretty heavily to Sparkstorm and Storm Summoner's use here. That may mean that energy is still an issue for single-target when using Haymaker, but ymmv there (blocking often can also give you lots of extra energy, so it will also depend on the content a bit). Tossing in Ball Lit w/ Triplicity adv can def help when using Ionic Reverb, though, assuming you'd have room for it somewhere.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • bladedragon80bladedragon80 Posts: 146 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Keep in mind that Chest Beam's Burn Through debuff also boost's Crushing dmg, so it could also help Haymaker.

And yea, the combo of Sparkstorm's toggle and Storm Summoner (+ possible Particle Smash finish) is indeed quite satisfying for AoE. It's not a complex rotation or anything, but it's pretty fun to see the overlapping dmg numbers and the eventual final blast take enemies out.

I would prob stick w/ something like Ward_Guardicator specs for most content. I may consider something like Protector spec and/or Defiance (instead of Invuln) if one were having issues staying alive while main-tanking in harder content. But much of that is also due to gear, blocking and cd use, and who you're grouped with, so it's hard to say just by the build alone if something would need to change there.

Although Ionic Reverb can indeed be very good for energy return, it will be tied pretty heavily to Sparkstorm and Storm Summoner's use here. That may mean that energy is still an issue for single-target when using Haymaker, but ymmv there (blocking often can also give you lots of extra energy, so it will also depend on the content a bit). Tossing in Ball Lit w/ Triplicity adv can def help when using Ionic Reverb, though, assuming you'd have room for it somewhere.

Sadly, lots of energy issues there. I had to do some quick thinking, so put in the Ball Lightning in place of the Lunge. Not my best choice, but the only thing I could see having unless I dropped something more essential. Storm Summoner's Magnetic works beautifully, BTW. I was gathering up enemies for another DPS to Plasma Beam in Cybermind just yesterday.

Final Build?

Super Stats

Talents

Powers
    Level 6: Ionic Reverberation
    Level 11: Ball Lightning (Triplicity)
    Level 17: Storm Summoner (Magnetic, Particle Storm, Challenge!)
    Level 20: Chest Beam (Point Blank Blast)
    Level 35: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Particle Smash (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)

Travel Powers

Specializations
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)

Devices

Additional Notes:
    Yea, hopefully Ball Lit is giving enough extra energy to keep you going in most cases here. Glad you seem to be enjoying the build, though. Good luck out there.