test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cyberspace Based Strongman Build Help?

bladedragon80bladedragon80 Posts: 146 Arc User
Right. Checked back in, realized that I can redo one of my characters that I am kinda looking at and going "eh, could be better" and decided to turn to the forums for help.

My thoughts on origin: He gained his powers from being merged with a digital entity, turned him into a strongman sort with some energy projection or tech powers.

I usually try for a Tank/DPS role, leaning more towards DPS lately since I'm out of touch with the game but I would love to see if I can do something at least a bit interesting with this.

Hope you guys can help me out!

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,814 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    Okay, so you want Might mixed w/ some energy projection and/or tech? That's still a pretty wide net in terms of powersets, if so. Are there any powers in particular that you were interested in using here? Also, do you want a normal dps build or a dual-passive build w/ a hybrid-dps option?
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • bladedragon80bladedragon80 Posts: 146 Arc User
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Okay, so you want Might mixed w/ some energy projection and/or tech? That's still a pretty wide net in terms of powersets, if so. Are there any powers in particular that you were interested in using here? Also, do you want a normal dps build or a dual-passive build w/ a hybrid-dps option?

Someone pointed out Bad Sector was pretty cyber themed. Looking at the powers, that one and Cybernetic Tether might be a start.

I would like to try a dual-passive in this case.
    edited July 2023
    Okay, well that's a start, I guess. Here's an example build:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
    v3.45:38

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Behemoth (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 18: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: *Beatdown (Rank 2, Rank 3) (*or get Defensive Combo, w/ Pummel + R2_3)
    Level 6: Enrage
    Level 8: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Pulverizer
    Level 14: Particle Wave (Illuminate)
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Chest Beam (Point Blank Blast)
    Level 26: Bad Sector (Analyze Weakness)
    Level 29: Cybernetic Tether (Recharge)
    Level 32: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 31/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (1/3)
    Strength: Overpower (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (2/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

The extra adv points could be used to rank up a travel power, ERush, Bad Sector, and/or the block.

For AoE, Beatdown (or Defense Combo) can be your main attack, while Particle Wave can help group up enemies in front of you for it. Haymaker is ofc your main single-target attack here, while taps of Chest Beam can apply/refresh the Burn Through debuff. Particle Wave could also be replaced by Energy Wave w/ Reverse Polarity, which pulls enemies in a large pbAoE around you, instead of in a cone in front of you (EW is a pretty expensive power now, but as long as you half-charge it you can still get the knock-in effect). Per the request, I also included the Tether w/ adv as another self-healing option, and Bad Sector for the PBurn chance and the shield adv.

Also included Invuln as the 2nd passive for when you want to be more sturdy in the Hybrid role (prob use the Melee dps role + Unstoppable otherwise). Unstoppable could also be a different dps passive (like WotW or NW), and Chest Beam could be replaced w/ a power that applies Demolish instead (like power Demolish itself). Regardless, it gears mostly for Str, w/ some Rec and Con.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    I'm a BIG believer in using costumes and especially auras to fill out themes (even Transformations). There are a lot of techy things like that out there that might help flesh out your theme. Below is a stab at a dual passive build that uses mainly HW for damage (there are some nice techy HW skins) and Laser Sword for some utility techy things. I wasn't clear if you really wanted to tank, or just be tough dps, so things could change here. E.g. you could drop the Challenges and swap Dex for Con for more damage. Also Specs could change. Some things are optional. E.g. Retaliation is nice for a little extra damage, but you could swap in Energy Shield if you want something that "feels" more techy.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
    v3.45:38

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Hero (Str: 8, Dex: 8, Con: 8, Int: 8, Ego: 8, Pre: 8, Rec: 6, End: 6)
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 18: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    Level 21: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Bludgeon
    Level 1: Enrage
    Level 6: Guard (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Pulverizer
    Level 11: Arc of Ruin (Rank 2, No Quarter)
    Level 14: Annihilate (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Particle Smash (Null Value, Challenge!)
    Level 32: Bad Sector (Analyze Weakness)
    Level 35: Particle Wave (Challenge!)
    Level 38: Cybernetic Tether (Recharge)
    Adv. Points: 35/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (1/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (3/3)
    Mastery: Protector Mastery (1/1)

Devices​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    Thanks, you two! I'll try them out when I get a chance and see what happens.

@jaazaniah1 Love the idea there of using costumes/auras/transformations to make it work. I'm open to suggestions on what to look for in that regards. Someone did mention a digital aura pack, but none of those seemed to appeal to me.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    There's so much potential techy stuff out there that this could be a long list! E.g. there's the Data Panel transformation, a fair number of alien/qulaar weapon skins, and just relased for the Nighthawk event is a hovering drone aura. Best to poke around in the AH and the Trade Paperback vendor and the Event vendor displays to see if anything tickles you. Also, ask palers when you see something intersting that they have.​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    My apologies that this took a bit. RL work and issues going on.

Ok, I've played with both. And wow do they both have some interesting style to them. I don't think I like the HW powers for this character, however. Nothing against it, just doesn't seem to fit overall. Others will probably love it for their techie character!

As far as the style of specializations, I'm leaning more towards the Vindicator/Protector spec.

I'm leaning a bit both ways as being Tanky is just so character for the guy. The main reason I want to go dual passive is the Cosmics at the moment as that's the main way to get better gear.

I do like Particle Smash as it looks like it could be just about anything on that part. Whether it's viable if I'm going basically a half Might and half LS sort of build is arguable as near as I can tell. Thoughts from the two builders and others, please, because I would love to hear it?

Anyways, love to hear back and see what you two think!

In the mean time, I'm going to experiment on combining the two and see what I can come up with.
    edited August 2023
    Protector spec isn't great for dps, but I guess if you want the larger benefits to survival then you can go for it (Warden spec w/ Fortified Gear and Elusive can also be pretty good defensively, though). I'm unsure if you're trying to be a proper tank for stuff like cosmics, or that you just want an option to play more defensively w/ the 2nd passive (the latter is ofc easier to setup and manage).

Particle Smash looks like a ranged attack, but w/ its limited range and being in a melee set (LS) it's actually flagged as melee. It's an okay power if you also consider its advs. I wouldn't say it'd be functionally that important to the build overall, but you could keep it for the theme.

You could mix LS w/ Might more (using Chest Beam's Burn Through to bridge them), but you'd have to be careful of redundancy in powers, and I'm not sure what attacks you'd want from LS (could replace a Might AoE w/ Lightwave Slash, for example).