test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Force/PA Tank?

bladedragon80bladedragon80 Posts: 146 Arc User
I don't think I've seen this one. I was unhappy with the Toggle powers off of PA when I finally got a 40 to use them. I thought "well, Force could be an interesting substitute!" and now I'm drawing some blanks in this case.

Two powers I want to include are Chest Beam and Rocket Punch. Otherwise, anything goes?

Hope to hear back!

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,814 Arc User
    edited March 2023
    Well, Chest Beam can provide Burn Through for something like FC, so that's good. Here's a mix of the sets (using the beta version of the Planner for the revamped Force stuff):

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Tank)
    v3.45:38

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Rocket Punch (Rank 2, Challenge!)
    Level 6: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Force Control
    Level 11: Impact Force
    Level 14: Crushing Wave (Disruptive Force, Barrier, Challenge!)
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Focus Point, Challenge!)
    Level 23: Chest Beam (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 28/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Constitution: Unyielding (1/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

The open power slots can be w/e ya want.

FC (w/ Focus Point) is your main single-target attack here, and taps of Chest Beam can debuff for it. Crushing Wave can give you a dmg shield and be your main close-up AoE. Rocket Punch can be used as a long-ranged AoE tag, and also to help Crushing Wave w/ AoE (though mind its scatter KB chance, and you can build up knock immunity w/ Crushing Wave first). Gears mostly for Con, w/ some End (and some cost discount on gear).

Rec SS can also replace Dex SS here if you want a bit more hep w/ energy, though you'll lose some crit%. Str PSS with 3/3 in Juggernaut (STR/Con/End) is another general SS option that can work here (as could End PSS w/ Hardened), and you could also replace Vind spec w/ Protector spec if you want a bit more of a defensive focus (and/or replace Guardian w/ Warden + Elusive).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    If Rocket Punch is in there, I wonder how useful Avenger with Preemptive Strike might be? Chest Beam, tap of RP followed by FC? Perhaps too many things going on?​​
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • bladedragon80bladedragon80 Posts: 146 Arc User
    That's actually pretty good! Thank you! I even see where I can shift things around a bit to get Defiance if I wanted to.

One of those theoretical builds in your notes intrigues me. Str PSS on what's looking like a ranged Tank?

Love to hear how that would work, and I got no problem tagging in some stuff there to simulate being that big strong guy in power armor.
    edited March 2023
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    If Rocket Punch is in there, I wonder how useful Avenger with Preemptive Strike might be? Chest Beam, tap of RP followed by FC? Perhaps too many things going on?​​
    I wouldn't normally take Avenger spec on a tank, but yeah that could work too (mainly as way to regularly weave Rocket Punch into the rotation, if you desired that).
    (...) One of those theoretical builds in your notes intrigues me. Str PSS on what's looking like a ranged Tank?

Love to hear how that would work, and I got no problem tagging in some stuff there to simulate being that big strong guy in power armor.
    It's just a different PSS choice, so it'd mostly just change some passive bonuses you'd get (namely the large defense boost w/ Juggernaut + Con-stacking, which can be good for any tank-styled build). Since Ranged builds don't benefit from Physical Peak or Overpower's melee boosts in Str PSS, you'd just skip those and get other options (likely Aggression and Brutality). For example, w/ this build:

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Rockstar (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 15: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)

It still gears mostly for Con and some End (and some cost discount). I still prefer Con PSS for ranged tanks, just cause it gives me more flexibility w/ the SS choices while still offering many defensive options, but Str PSS can be good too.

<CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »

Might be too much going on. Against something like a Cosmic, probably going to be tap-spamming Chest Beam or FC.
    Also, that's an interesting bit, flowcyto. I'm probably going to end up trying it out and sticking Crushing Ruin on just to pull out a big freaking sword or the like.
    Sure thing. You could also change the block to HW's Guard if you want to pull out a large weapon when blocking, but it's up to you on how to customize the build.
    edited April 2023
    So, returning after IRL ate me for a while. That idea of Str/Con/End is definitely looking a lot better and I'm loving the hell out of it.

I'm not 40 yet, but so far I'm envisioning this and hoping it will work out as a final build on my end. If Sentinel doesn't work out, will probably go back to Vindicator or Avenger. More than likely Vind.

Super Stats
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 29: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Roomsweeper (Concussive Blow)
    Level 35: Crushing Ruin (Commanding Presence)
    Level 38: Mighty Kick (Boot to the Head)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations
    Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
    Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
    Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

Devices

NOTE: Last three powers are flavor more than anything. I seem to have all I want in there.
    edited April 2023
    Well, you'll need a normal stun/hold like Roomsweeper's adv to get some mileage from Sentinel Mastery, and the Ult's threat adv and the interrupt can be nice too. I'd prob take either Protector, Vindicator, Warden (w/ Elusive), or Sentry spec as a tank and leave Sentinel spec to Support and CC'ers instead, but it's ultimately up to you.

Glad you're enjoying the build, either way.
    I am. So, final build from my end. I'll just say you were right about the Sentinel bit. Went back and used the "Keep It Simple Stupid" method. Now I'm just trying to balance out the Con/End buffering.

Super Stats
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 18: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 29: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Energy Wave (Recharge)
    Level 35: Crushing Ruin (Commanding Presence)
    Level 38: Mighty Kick (Boot to the Head)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Acrobatics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)

Devices

Like you said, Crushing Wave's my main AoE. Taps of Chest Beam to debuff, single targets/bosses get Force Cascade bursts. If I'm having trouble or I notice DPS is a bit much, Crushing Ruin ASAP. Mighty Kick is the interrupt for when needed and Energy Wave acts as a stack gainer and back up healer in this case. Rocket Punch is my ranged grabber and occasional stack gainer. Endorphin Rush is my main healing bit if they get through Crushing Wave along with Resurgence for a burst heal.
    Alright, well there's not too many changes there from the previous version, but it sounds like it's working okay, assuming energy is fine overall. If you wanted to free up some adv points, you could consider dropping R2 on Chest Beam and/or Rocket Punch, if you wanted to use the points somewhere else (like Reverse Polarity on EWave, or ranking the Ult), but it's up to you as you could also just keep things as is. You could also put up 2ndary Challenge on bosses via getting Challenge on EWave (since it's a pbAoE), and maybe taking a rank from a travel power for it, but that's also up to you.
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Alright, well there's not too many changes there from the previous version, but it sounds like it's working okay, assuming energy is fine overall. If you wanted to free up some adv points, you could consider dropping R2 on Chest Beam and/or Rocket Punch, if you wanted to use the points somewhere else (like Reverse Polarity on EWave, or ranking the Ult), but it's up to you as you could also just keep things as is. You could also put up 2ndary Challenge on bosses via getting Challenge on EWave (since it's a pbAoE), and maybe taking a rank from a travel power for it, but that's also up to you.

So far, yes. I'm considering that suggestion on Energy Wave. If I didn't like the sheer "boom" effect on FC, I would seriously drop it for CB as R2, PB, and Challenge.

Otherwise so far it's going as intended with it. Hard hitting ranged tank with survival options and plenty of threat.

Only thing getting me so far is balance to make it survivable on gear, like I said. Need to get some cash going so I can toss that around a bit.