test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tanks need help

pallierpallier Posts: 79 Arc User
Currently in game there are builds for dps that make them do so much damage that even when a tank gets a few seconds to build threat they can't keep it and they lose the threat to the dps for the rest of the fight. even with stacked thread mods and doing as much damage as they can there is no way to hold the threat.

this doesn't mean you nerf the dps, that dps is good and is needed and takes freeform with specific combinations to achieve. At the same time we can't expect you to raise a tank's damage to build more threat as that would make everyone build a damage tank to be hard to kill and try and act as dps. Both are unrealistic and breaks the roles, so what's the solution?

I'm glad you asked because I have it.
A new power obtainable by every tank class. What power you ask?
what every tank has had in every game since the invention of the tank class... TAUNT.

Not like the game is now where when a melee tank is out of range and has his energy builder on it "taunts" the target to come to him. that's weak taunt and still does very little or nothing. Every tank class skill try should have one to match the looks and powerset it belongs to. A REAL taunt that has a 10 second cooldown, a 25 to 30 feet sphere range to all targets, does no damage, and does the following:
-wipes all threat from all other sources than the tank and prevents them from generating threat for the next 5 seconds
-instantly generates 200% thtreat for the user
-places a 5 second debuff on the target preventing them from being taunted again in that time.
-isn't effected by time reduction
-may only have 1 taunt ability at a time.
-must be in defense build to use.

now the tanks have no need for the "challenge" advantages in any of the power sets and they will never have issues keeping threat to targets again so dps can do their job and unload as much damage as they want. This would make tanks more desirable for hard fights as well since right now most people prefer 4 dps and a healer for a party than a tank since the tank can't keep threat and does very little damage making them a burden more than an asset.
Oh Atari how I miss you!

Comments

• Options
    areeeareee Posts: 837 Arc User
    Neat.
    how about a Form Aura. the agro of anyone influenced by the Aura is transferred to the caster.
  • Options
    pallierpallier Posts: 79 Arc User
    areee wrote: »
    Neat.
    how about a Form Aura. the aggro of anyone influenced by the Aura is transferred to the caster.
    or a toggle that transfers 50% of the threat of everyone in your group to you and 10% of the damage they take is transfered to you the tank as well. so if its something that is an aoe that's hitting everyone you're helping reduce the damage they take from it and while you do take their damage its giving you energy 2% of your total energy for each person redirecting damage to you.

Oh Atari how I miss you!
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,433 Arc User
    Boy, that is so complex and unneeded. If the devs want tanks to have stornger aggro, they could just up the aggro bonus that already exists in tank role from 110% to something more.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Boy, that is so complex and unneeded. If the devs want tanks to have stornger aggro, they could just up the aggro bonus that already exists in tank role from 110% to something more.

This is true...
    1000%
    Bwahahahaha!
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    I use 3 confront 9s on my tank, and I've never had a threat problem. Sounds like you don't have a good setup for threat, or your mods aren't high enough lvl. Also, the heavy dps should be threat wiping if it's becoming a problem.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    zwipezantherzwipezanther Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2023
    2 r7 threat mods plus OV Defender gloves are all that's needed to ensure you hold aggro for the heavy hitters. Seen plenty of my tank friends do so. Any threat mods above r7's are for aggro wars and epeen contests.

If r7's for some reason arent cutting it, 1) make sure you're modding and tweaking your build to hit as hard as possible without compromising survivability, and 2) (most importantly) perfect your block timing and maximize the damage you dish out in the attack windows.

If you focus and excel at 2), you can get away with a less optimal setup.
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    I think the Devs prefer that a tank has to work for that aggro.

If It were a simple matter to just strip the aggro from an over-zealous dps (or group of dpsers) or a healer doing tons of healing by just being in Tank stance, then it would get boring.

Smooth Cosmic runs are nice and welcomed, but would be less fun when there's not a chance that someone causes them to turn and unleash death upon the dps/healer crowd.

Many players work hard on their builds. If any ol' tank can come along and do the job, then what's the point of the gear grind?

If another tank can out-aggro my tank, then "take over". If the dps pile can out-aggro my tank, well, I'll try to see if I can do better. Maybe next time I'll give everyone a warning that I'm not well geared, so bear that in mind if "your" objective is to top the scoreboard.

I like the current bugginess of Kigatilik. It doesn't happen all of the time, but it sure keeps the fights from getting stale or just complaining about the lack heals for the crowd.

Baby spawning at Dino is part "art" and part luck, on the when/where and actually getting the aggro before it breathes on the crowd. And, then getting it into perfect position afterwards.

There's always some chance that things can go pear shaped. It keeps the runs from always being smooth. Which keeps me coming back.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    godhandxiiigodhandxiii Posts: 69 Arc User
    There are situations where I'd love to have a hard taunt ability, but I doubt this will happen because we used to have one that got changed. The single-target type of Challenge used to be able to hard taunt for 4 seconds, with a 10-second shared internal cooldown and a 10-second immunity thereafter.

I do think tank's threat generation needs to be addressed by basekit changes, and not through threat mods/equipment. We shouldn't even need those things in the first place, IMO. Hell, tanking in general needs some attention. Like making all passives more viable in endgame, giving dodge tanks more flexibility in power choice, giving more powers the Challenge advantage, etc.
  • Options
    warcanch wrote: »
    I think the Devs prefer that a tank has to work for that aggro.

If It were a simple matter to just strip the aggro from an over-zealous dps (or group of dpsers) or a healer doing tons of healing by just being in Tank stance, then it would get boring.

Smooth Cosmic runs are nice and welcomed, but would be less fun when there's not a chance that someone causes them to turn and unleash death upon the dps/healer crowd.

Many players work hard on their builds. If any ol' tank can come along and do the job, then what's the point of the gear grind?

If another tank can out-aggro my tank, then "take over". If the dps pile can out-aggro my tank, well, I'll try to see if I can do better. Maybe next time I'll give everyone a warning that I'm not well geared, so bear that in mind if "your" objective is to top the scoreboard.

I like the current bugginess of Kigatilik. It doesn't happen all of the time, but it sure keeps the fights from getting stale or just complaining about the lack heals for the crowd.

Baby spawning at Dino is part "art" and part luck, on the when/where and actually getting the aggro before it breathes on the crowd. And, then getting it into perfect position afterwards.

There's always some chance that things can go pear shaped. It keeps the runs from always being smooth. Which keeps me coming back.​​

You shouldn't need a mod to be a viable tank.
  • Options
    Part of it is that the devs like the idea of making all the high end dps have to waste a slot on a threat wipe.

I wouldn't at all mind seeing base aggro boost go from 110 to 150.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • Options
    zwipezantherzwipezanther Posts: 109 Arc User
    > @areee said:
    > You shouldn't need a mod to be a viable tank.

Technically you dont if DPS didnt mod.

Not realistic to expect a fresh lvl 40 Behemoth AT to MT Cosmics right off the bat.

Might as well just give GCR for hitting 100k on a Powerhouse Dummy if holding threat was supposed to be that effortless.
  • Options
    *shrug* I dunno about others but once I saw how much I had to spend to be an Ok tank I didn't make another.
  • Options
    I have ca. 25 end game capable tanks. Not hard to make one that gets the job done.
    JwLmWoa.png