test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The worst Power Variant Device I've ever used.

rinzler156rinzler156 Posts: 103 Arc User
Good Afternoon

My crosshairs are now on something else today, and it's actually something I really wanted to believe would potentially do good, only to get rather disappointed with the results. I like Power Variant Devices in theory, they make it so that you could have a chance of getting an item that could expand on new setups and builds.

I do understand the sentiment of, 'Why not just make it a new power anyways instead of just making it device..?', my only response is "It technically is a new power, though it's translated through a new device". Though, to be fair, the sentiment still holds quite a bit of ground.

But I don't think I ever expected a certain power to have such a misfortunate treatment, and have a device that while -does- do better, is nowhere near comparable to other PVD's.

Yes, it's time to talk about Laser Shotgun.

I tried this PVD for a while, I even streamed on my character that used Pulp Ray Guns, and even used Laser Shotgun during this time. The main niche is that if you tap the power, you apply a debuff that stacks up, but lasts maybe 2-3 seconds. I even utilized this build with alerts and adventure packs to see if maybe there was some use in other content that isn't endgame-based.

It's damage is very inconsistent, and sometimes, the AoE glitches, so you get the full-charge AoE variant when tapping. If you dare try to charge the laser shotgun for longer, you risk losing the debuff which is a 50% damage debuff on enemies (which applies to all that are hit). The only niche is the tap-based debuff and damage, and the higher range and AoE angle the longer you charge.

Every other PVD has a leg up against this PVD either because of their significant uses, or their admissibility with other content.

My only AAR (After Action Review) is this. This debuff needs to be extended via duration so that the full charge gets the biggest bang, and maybe refreshes it. OR, have it so that Laser Shotgun does more damage with certain buffs on yourself. OR, increase the base damage overall

Comments

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Don't worry, this is another phase of gimmicks (like vehicles. remember those) created to entice players to open their wallets for lockbox keys. And, like vehicles, at some point either players or devs will get bored with them (or come to see them as problematic) and there will be a need to move on to something else to put in the boxes. It's just too bad that they can't figure out a way to monetize power revamps or new content directly.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    rinzler156rinzler156 Posts: 103 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Don't worry, this is another phase of gimmicks (like vehicles. remember those) created to entice players to open their wallets for lockbox keys.

Except this is not for lockbox keys. It's specifically a drop from an alert