test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reimagining Caliburn (New 22)

Just a light aesthetic update, and his face was given more characterization with a more hardened, run down, yet meaner edge to his natural demeaner.
52032888434_fbbcc51eb2_o.png
52031595342_6121fed82a_o.png

Comments

• Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    It's a nice rendering, but for my impression of the character it leans a little too hard toward his Frank Castle side and away from his John Constantine one. But hey, superhero comics. ;)
  • Options
    locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 331 Arc User
    bulgarex wrote: »
    It's a nice rendering, but for my impression of the character it leans a little too hard toward his Frank Castle side and away from his John Constantine one. But hey, superhero comics. ;)

A fair assessment from someone who knows the IP better than I do. I got a very no-nonsense vibe from him, as well as a sort of... How to exactly word it... Not so much run-down, but a man who sacrificed a lot personally for his work and heroic efforts.

When focusing on trying to characterize his face some, the roughian edge emerged.

• Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Yeah, it's not his face, so much as the outfit without the coat, which displays biceps that would make Chris Redfield jealous. :D To be sure, that's where Cryptic tends to take these characters visually. But the "weathered by life" look and attitude you divined is certainly consistent with how he's presented in the Vibora Bay book. Magic has kept him much younger looking than his real age, which would be close to 70 now.

FWIW here's how VB describes him: "Robert Caliburn appears to be in his late twenties or early thirties, with a tough, rawboned appearance that makes it clear he's experienced many things in his time despite his young age. He usually seems to have a touch of five o'clock shadow, rarely looking either clean-shaven or bearded. His hair and facial hair are black, his eyes green. He typically wears combat boots, jeans, a t-shirt or other cheap shirt, an Army jacket, and no gloves (thought he puts on fingerless gloves in cold weather or if he needs to protect his hands). He hides his weapons with his jacket -- or spells of concealment. He smokes cigarettes, and almost always has one lit (he uses Fire Magic to keep it, or its smoke, from harming him or anyone nearby). He's usually got a special deck of tarot cards he made himself in one of the jacket's pockets."

That was written 18 years ago, so it would be fair to say he looks in his mid-to-late thirties now. And I have no clue as to whether or how his attainment of Archmage status in CO might have affected his appearance.

BTW I can't remember if CO ever shows Caliburn's miniature dragon familiar, "Nicotine?"
  • Options
    locochoco#7652 locochoco Posts: 331 Arc User
    I had saved two version, one with the coat, one wit the coat off so you could see the shoulder holster vs the classic thigh strap.

I wanted to try maybe the aviator style jacket for him, but you know what, funny you said it, it didn't feel right and I didn't want to betray tat aesthetic choice because it seemed so specific as a bold stylistic choice that speaks more than perhaps a more commonly seen jacket. It has that broody, mysterious and dangerous look. :) I agree. But He also didn't look quite put-together without his gun in sight.

I could have snapped both, should have.