test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Having trouble picking powers for Ranged DPS (munitions)

renegade0renegade0 Posts: 119 Arc User
I've considered getting the sniper rifle power, but I'm not sure about it because I want to stay in range for healers during cosmics. My character's theme is using guns obviously, but I'm fine with any abilities really. I'm also not sure about which Passive and Toggle/Form to use. I've heard people like Targeting Computer, but I don't know.

Playing around with both melee and ranged DPS, I've found that I run out of energy super fast, so I tried to build around that.
I'm also not sure about Ultimate powers because when trying them out in the training, they all seem really weak standard attacks with long load times.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
v3.44:37

Super Stats
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
Level 6: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 9: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 15: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
Level 18: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
Level 21: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Gunslinger
Level 1: Bullet Hail (Wall of Bullets)
Level 6: Concentration
Level 8: Frag Grenade (Cuts and Scrapes, Open Wound)
Level 11: Smoke Bomb
Level 14: Overdrive
Level 17: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
Level 20: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
Level 26: Rebirth
Level 29: Death's Embrace (Pact)
Level 32:
Level 35:
Level 38:
Adv. Points: 19/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Swinging (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35:

Specializations
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Insight (3/3)
Ego: Aggression (2/2)
Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Make It Count (3/3)
Guardian: Find the Mark (1/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Devices

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    Yea, Targeting Comp is typically what you want for a Muni dps build, though other passives like NW or Composure can also work. You don't need an Ult, but it can be a decent burst dps power that can potentially put up Overpower (depending on which one you take), which is good for group dps. The main issue w/ many Ults, imo, is more their high energy cost than anything, but you can work around that w/ decent gear/stats and their longer cd. Regardless, I'd prob also use KI as the energy unlock here, if sticking mostly to Muni. You'll also want to get 3/3 in Follow Through for Ego PSS, and Ruthless in Guardian spec (Make It Count is pretty weak, and you don't have a Blast power here anyways). Here's a quick edit of it, keeping most of the powers in:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
    v3.44:37

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 18: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 21: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Gunslinger
    Level 1: Bullet Hail (Rank 2, Wall of Bullets)
    Level 6: Concentration
    Level 8: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Killer Instinct
    Level 14: Frag Grenade (Cuts and Scrapes, Open Wound)
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Mini Mines (Stim Pack)
    Level 26: Smoke Bomb
    Level 29: Death's Embrace (Rank 2, Pact)
    Level 32: Energy Shield (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Fiery Embrace
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 29/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Swinging (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

The open power slot can be w/e ya want.

Pistol Muni is pretty straight-forward: use Frag Grenade to debuff, TGM for single-target filler dps, and Bullet Hail for filler AoE. I added Mini Mines since they can put up a small heal when deployed, but you could take a different power there. Gears mostly for Ego, w/ some Con and Rec.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    Thanks! I appreciate all your help!

I definitely having an easier time with this compared to the melee DPS i was trying to play before. This makes me want to try out the other powers. But i just love playing with the weapons too much lol
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    You can always use weapon-like hand costume pieces and fire anything you want from them. People tend to get hung up on the names of powers or power sets instead of thinking about the effect they want. E.g. myabe you really like the way Soul Beam looks and there is no reason you could not have have a hand or bracer costume piece that gives you that ranged weapon feel and look when you fire it. You just have to break yourself from calling it "magic" and call it a laser (or whatever) instead.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 664 Arc User
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    You can always use weapon-like hand costume pieces and fire anything you want from them. People tend to get hung up on the names of powers or power sets instead of thinking about the effect they want. E.g. myabe you really like the way Soul Beam looks and there is no reason you could not have have a hand or bracer costume piece that gives you that ranged weapon feel and look when you fire it. You just have to break yourself from calling it "magic" and call it a laser (or whatever) instead.

This here so much. What I try to keep telling a friend also, he is very hung up on tech powers and their names. People would go more wild if they had that thinking of everything goes if you just use your imagination a bit more.
  • Options
    Yeah, I already do that. My healer is a scientist who uses satellites to beam healing rays to people and not "divine" power.

When I say I like weapons too much, I mean just that. I like the way the weapon powers look and feel. I prefer guns over attached hand canons or whatever.
  • Options
    ansemthedarkansemthedark Posts: 664 Arc User
    renegade0 wrote: »
    Yeah, I already do that. My healer is a scientist who uses satellites to beam healing rays to people and not "divine" power.

When I say I like weapons too much, I mean just that. I like the way the weapon powers look and feel. I prefer guns over attached hand canons or whatever.

Can relate to this also, I wish we had more Emanation options again, instead of just fist, chest, head and palm, for only certain powers. Same with Pistols on my side, I wish we had something like TK Blades has on the Form and Passives to choose between one or two.