test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Builds Review

blueionstormzblueionstormz Posts: 289 Arc User
Hello, would like to ask for help in reviewing some of my builds before I update them. I'm using dual passives but they are intended to be DPS, and the Unarmed could be an off tank.

MA SB - revolves around Relentless Pursuit

MA SB - apply bleeds and shred then consume them

MA FC - revolves around Dragon Claw

MA Unarmed - can be a pseudo DPS or off tank.
"Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
Archived CO Wiki site

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited June 2021
    For all of these builds, I'd suggest getting Focused Strikes and Mass Destruction in Vindicator spec, esp since you're using FoTempest and Steadfast. I'd also prob not bother w/ a R1 Active Offense (AO) generally.

For the first build, I'd prob get Scything Blade for a decent pbAoE (instead of the AO), and you can get adv points for it by dropping a rank in Tornado Slash, BCR, and/or the block. Could maybe also get Finishing Blow in Brawler (instead of Setup), since you're using Relentless Pursuit in that build.

I'd have similar advice for the 2nd build regarding the AO (although ranking the AO does at least make it more worthwhile, and Brawler's Setup is also fine w/ the usual SB style of combo -> rupture). Also, I'm not sure that I'd take TB here, since Reaper's Embrace can already be made to consume Shredded (and ofc bleeds) w/ it's special adv, if you want that play-style.

The MA FC-based build looks okay overall, aside from the general points I outlined first.

For the last Unarmed-based build: I may pass on Parry's EM (assuming it's not trying to be a 100% dodge tank). The dmg penalty from EM will stack w/ the dmg penalty on BCR, and a R3 block is nice anyway for tanking. It also is a bit redundant to have Rush on both DU and DK. Overall, I think you'll want to decide which role will be the main focus here, since your stat and spec setups aren't really that efficient for either role atm, and w/o Challenge advs it'll be harder to hold aggro if you want to tank.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • blueionstormzblueionstormz Posts: 289 Arc User
    Thank you as always Flowcyto. I have incorporated your advices into the builds.

MA SB - Replaced TS with Scything Blade, took a rank from BCR and placed it in Intensity. Took Finishing Blow instead of Setup. Took Focused Strike and Mass Destruction.

MA SB - I did not realized Reaper's Embrace was modified to rupture Shred as well, thanks for pointing it out. Replaced TB with Conviction. Took Focused Strike and Mass Destruction.

MA FC - Took Focused Strike and Mass Destruction.

MA Unarmed - Yes, this is an 100% Dodge Tank. Took an Offensive passive to make things go faster when Solo. You are right, Forgot to add challenging strike, it is now added to Thundering Kicks and have also removed Rush from Dragon Uppercut and added rank 2 and Ghostly Strike.

Thanks again.
    "Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
    Archived CO Wiki site
    Flow, could you also review the following builds?

Archery Ego PSS - DPS build

Archery Int PSS - Defense Penetration build

Marksman AT - The AT with updated powers

Inferno AT - I have no idea what I'm doing here. She is at level 32 with the old power system.

Fire DPS - Freeform update from old power setup.
    Archived CO Wiki site
    edited June 2021
    The first Archery build looks okay overall, assuming you also wanted to make it a dual-passive one. I may consider the special adv on Rapid Shots, but it's up to you if you want to trade mobility for more base dps from it (both for this build and the others that have this attack). I may also just get Guardian spec (w/ Find the Mark) instead of Avenger, since Preemptive Strike doesn't do much for maintains like Rapid Shots.

The other Archery build is fine too. As w/ the builds before, I'd prob treat any AO as the first power you could consider replacing, if you wanted something else.

The Marksman build is okay, for what you can do w/ it. I may consider turning Evasive Maneuvers into a threat wipe for the AT, but it's up to you.

The Inferno build actually looks pretty good, considering the AT itself is a bit weirdly put together. One issue is that you have Engulfing Flames coming from both Heat Wave and Fire Snake, and that's a bit redundant. You could also get the Wildfire and Fan the Flames advs on Fire Strike to refresh both Fire debuffs, though only if you find that you could use that functionality for w/e mix of powers you settle on.

And lastly, the Fire FF build looks nice overall, though you didn't fill out the specs. Also, if Engulfing Flames is not having full uptime w/ just Fire Snake, then you could get the 3-pt Fan the Flames adv on Flashfire (and prob drop a point in a travel power for that).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    Thanks for the feedback Flow, appreciate it. :)

Archery Ego PSS - took concentrated shots, switched to guardicator.

Archery Int PSS - Have an AO all most builds, mostly to help break out of holds. Ok, for tight builds, I can switch that out then. I'll probably take the breakfree adv on Resurgence for builds without an AO.

Marksman AT - Good idea, took the threat wipe, if she reached the point where healing is needed, it is usually too late for a glass cannon AT.

Inferno AT - Took wild fire and fan the flames. Was hard trying to decide between flashfire and fire snake, went with the debuff in the end. Realized now fire strike with adv can refresh the debuff.

Fire DPS - Forgot to fill the specs, took the usual guardicator and also fan the flames on flashfire.

A question, would Call to Battle with Work Up adv be a viable general purpose heal for a build? I used to have Conviction and BCR RR and MD on most build in the old power system. That setup used to be very survivable. I'm thinking of trying out Conviction, CTB WU and Resurgence as standard healings for a build, what do you think?
    Archived CO Wiki site
    edited June 2021
    Yea, you could keep the AOs also for the breakfree, if you want- it's up to you.
    A question, would Call to Battle with Work Up adv be a viable general purpose heal for a build? I used to have Conviction and BCR RR and MD on most build in the old power system. That setup used to be very survivable. I'm thinking of trying out Conviction, CTB WU and Resurgence as standard healings for a build, what do you think?
    Eh, my main issue w/ Call to Battle (and Howl) is that their cds are just too long for what they do. If their cds were quite shorter then they could be decent generalist support/utility powers. That said, the old BCR/RR + MD combo is still pretty good, but you have to rank up MD now to get it past 100% dodge, and these days Resurgence is so strong that you mine as well just use that instead. If you wanted a 2nd short-cd heal to supplement Conviction then you could also get Endorphin Rush, esp if you have some Con and/or Rec in your build (or get a power with a HoT/Restoration adv).
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Eh, my main issue w/ Call to Battle (and Howl) is that their cds are just too long for what they do. If their cds were quite shorter then they could be decent generalist support/utility powers. That said, the old BCR/RR + MD combo is still pretty good, but you have to rank up MD now to get it past 100% dodge, and these days Resurgence is so strong that you mine as well just use that instead. If you wanted a 2nd short-cd heal to supplement Conviction then you could also get Endorphin Rush, esp if you have some Con and/or Rec in your build (or get a power with a HoT/Restoration adv).

True, 30 seconds cooldown is a bit too long, considering BCR w/RR is 15 seconds. Perhaps I will try that again, it is just hard to spend 4 adv points for MD because I find most of my builds tight in adv points. Am thinking for some builds that uses NW or WotW, will get dodge gear and use BCR w/RR. Good point on Resurgence, have it on all my updated builds. I used to find Endorphin Rush a bit weird to use but it's growing on me and am considering taking it on builds with Con and Rec. Is it worthwhile to take it if a build has only Con or Rec without the other one?

Also, what are some Hot/Restoration adv powers? The ones I can think of are EM w/ SP, Holdout shot w/ SP, Desperate shot w/ SP, Chained kunai w/ SP, TK Shards w/ IP, Nanobot Swarm w/ RI, Cybernetic Tether w/ Recharge, Vicious Descent w/ workup, Are there others I may have missed? Usually, I take these powers when using the respective framework, though I haven't found one that's useful as a general utility. My internet connection is not the most stable, sometimes I get snr, rubber banding or dc so I play mostly solo. Have started taking Invul on some builds because I realized that Invul, Conviction and Resurgence is usually enough to survive most hard encounters that a DPS alone may not be able to, it will just take a while.

On another note, would you by any chance, consider updating your theme builds from Powerhouse to Herocreator? That's the doc where you have sample builds for every framework. I got the file from somewhere a long time ago and found it useful.
    Archived CO Wiki site
    edited June 2021
    Eh, I'm not going to review all of the powers to point out all the other HoT advs (as there are many of them now), but typically their relevant adv is called something like Stim Pack, Work Up, Inner Peace, or Recharge. You can tell if you read their adv details and it outlines a HoT named "Restoration" in them. As for ERush: I think it's okay to get it, even if you don't have both Rec and Con SS'd; I would have at least one of them SS'd if taking it, but that's just personal preference. ERush is def better for (most) Tanks than anyone else, due to Con-stacking, but some dps builds can also get some mileage out of it.

Also, I probably won't be updating the old doc for the Themed Tank builds anytime soon, sorry. I made that document more on a whim back then, and it was also partly to get me more practice at building w/ some neatly imposed constraints at the time (I'd also ask that any players that still have that doc to discard or disregard it, as it has some very outdated info, links aside). If you do need help w/ a certain type of set-themed Tank, then you can always ask for help on these forums, and/or use its search features.