test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Power Negation build

I'm gonna need help with this one. The theme is a toon surrounded by a power negation field, nullifying the attacks of enemies. I'm curious if Inertial Dampening Field is a viable form for something like this. I've also heard that IDF works very well with AoRP, but not sure how valid that is. Maybe I can also add DE to absorb powers. Other than that I'm at a loss. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited November 2020
    IDF still doesn't scale up well as a flat dmg shield, and it won't give you energy like most toggle/forms. It can have some utility in, say, protecting pet builds vs. weaker mobs. But outside of niches like that I wouldn't generally recommend it. Also, using AoRP w/ IDF will make for a defensive build, but its dmg will be very low, and it could have energy issues.

If you do want to still use IDF, though, I'd like more info as to what sort of attacks you're going for anyways, since I'm a bit unclear on what you envision to fit the concept here (if DE fits, then also having a decent AoE would be nice, at least). It can also help to know what role(s) you'd want to play in, and maybe also what content you'd want to do w/ it.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    ericrightshow82ericrightshow82 Posts: 582 Arc User
    That's disappointing, but I guess explains why I don't hear much about IDF. Perhaps I'll just go back to the think tank to figure out something that fits the concept. Thanks for your help, Flow
  • Options
    I've reworked my concept a bit and have decided to go with a more traditional tank with power absorbing abilities. Something akin to Rogue from X-Men. I'd like to use Devour Essence and Defensive Combo as my primary attacks, but I'm not sure of the best way to go for a form or EU. Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Well, although Defense Combo has an AoE component, you prob want a wider AoE attack to pick things up w/ as a tank. So even if I give you DE for single-target dps (which is fine), we still need to settle on a wide AoE attack that can fit your theme, at the least. Also, which defensive passive would you like? I assume Invuln cause it's good overall and the dmg shield portion could be fitting to the concept of absorbing stuff. Would you also maybe want Force Shield as the block? if you have any other power ideas like that, then let me know.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    Yes, Invulnerability is what I was thinking for passive, as well as Force Shield. I thought of using Energy Wave with adv to gather up mobs for Defensive Combo, but I'm open to suggestion :)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Hm, I guess the EWave and Defense Combo mix could work for AoE. Energy is still prob gonna be an issue if using those w/ DE, cause DE is best fueled by Supernatural Power, and is pretty costly in of itself. There also isn't an easy toggle/form to tie them together, save for FotTempest- so maybe you'll have to settle for that. I suppose you could get Supernatural Power for the EU to help make using DE easy, and for the non-DE attacks you can always help fuel them via Force Shield's Sheath adv, and then you can keep the linger up w/ quick blocking. I also assume this isn't trying to be an MT at Cosmics or something, so you can be a bit more lenient w/ the build overall.

Here's a prototype build- kinda tricky to make a working build for the concept, but hopefully it performs well enough:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Tank)
    v3.44:36

Super Stats
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Power Bolts
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 6: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Form of the Tempest
    Level 11: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Supernatural Power
    Level 17: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Energy Wave (Reverse Polarity, Challenge!)
    Level 23: Force Shield (Rank 2, Force Sheathe)
    Level 26: Endorphin Rush (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Mighty Leap (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 30/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Constitution: Unyielding (1/2)
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

The open power slots can be used for w/e ya want. Gears mostly for Con, w/ some Dex and End/Rec.
  • Options
    Thank you, I'll give this a try!