test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

About time I tried this....

So I'm finally going to delve into the table top RPG. I have a few neat ideas for campaigns and far too much time on my hands. Anything anyone recommends that might not be on my Wishlist?

Comments

• Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Welcome to this side of the game, kojirohellfire! I hope you enjoy the experience. :)

Mind summarizing your wishlist, so we can suggest anything else?
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    Well, I have already purchased Champions 6th ed, Champions Complete, and Powers. They're arriving from Amazon tomorrow.

As for the wishlist, well there's the villain books, the Universe and Beyond book. Some materials that look like they're from 5th but detail some fluff about some groups. Also core HERO stuff for reference.

See for yourself: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/2MGOH91IO5YMF?ref_=wl_share
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Cool. B)

If you're really interested in the core setting, I would suggest adding The Mystic World to your wish list. It deals in detail with the nature of magic, supernatural entities, the Champions Multiverse, the major factions and power players in the occult subculture, and how they all interact. Granted, a lot of the multiversal info is reprinted in Book Of The Empress, but that's really less than half the story. And speaking of half, like almost all Fifth Edition Hero books TMW is half its original cover price.

I'm not sure if you're aware that the Dark Champions book is a campaign genre book for running modern-day adventure games. Despite the title it actually has almost nothing to do with Champions. The NPCs in the book don't have super-powers, and their challenges are much more realistic. The most comic-bookish elements resemble Batman or the Punisher. Even though the default game setting, the crime-ridden metropolis of Hudson City, is technically on Champions Earth, practically speaking it's treated as though it were on another world. HC villains and vigilantes don't operate elsewhere in the world, and superhumans don't go to HC. The books in each line barely mention the other.

Also, be prepared for these books to go into as much detail on their respective subjects as you could ever want. Ever since DOJ bought Hero Games and started publishing for Fifth Edition, even their fluff is crunchy. ;)
  • Options
    Mystic World, eh? Hmmm. I'll keep that one in mind.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    There are a few other setting-related books. Hidden Lands has sizeable chapters on Lemuria, Atlantis, Arcadia the home of the Empyreans, plus shorter chapters on the underground cities of Shamballah and Agharti, Beast Mountain the original community of Manimals, and a couple of other significant mystic sites.

Champions Worldwide covers the superhero scene in the other countries on Champions Earth, including NPC heroes and villains, except for Canada and the United Kingdom. Canada has its own source book, Champions Of The North, while a book for the UK was planned but never written. Millennium City, Monster Island, and Vibora Bay are self-evident, of course. There are also a few published adventures and several small "niche" books.
    Post edited by bulgarex on
  • Options
    Thank you for your help.
  • Options
    This sub-forum is often used for inquiries about, not just the PnP game and specific books, but Champions Universe lore in general. If you ever have questions or want to brainstorm about any of that, please feel free to post. :)