test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crowd threat generation

jenniferloganjenniferlogan Posts: 44 Arc User
In short I have a tank that, while it can main tank just fine, has a bit of trouble quickly grabbing aggro from large amounts of mobs. What powers usually come recommended for this? I would imagine large-radius AOEs with Challenge. The use case is grabbing the aggro from the mob spawns in Therakiels Temple, both the sudden large spawns (such as at the Black Fang fight) and the slow constant spawns (at the Baron Cimetiere fight).

Ultimates can hit more mobs so I imagine they will work better for this purpose but they also have a cooldown. I am also not clear on whether maintains have an advantage (different ticks damaging different mobs in the spawn).

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    Yeah, large pbAoEs are prob the easiest to pick-up AoE aggro with, just cause of their wide coverage and not needing to target anything beforehand. Since Challenge was reworked to be more of an actual DoT (though it can't be re-applied until it's expired), it's not really dependent on hit/tick rate like the old CS/CripC system was- which used flat threat values per hit (where maintains ruled, due to their rapid hit/tick rate). Maintains can still have an edge in some cases, though, but more to due to the ease of applying/reapplying Challenge to fresh spawns while they're maintained. Taps of charged powers or instant powers can also put up Challenge quickly, though.

Otherwise, damage still matters a bit for threat gen, ofc, so stuff like having a stacked dmg form/toggle and/or powers w/ decent base dmg can help w/ threat too.
    Post edited by flowcyto on
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    The pbAoE are powers tagged as "affect foes" here such as any cyclone, dragon kick, eye of the storm, etc...

Challenge adds threat but if the base damage of your aoe is low, the total threat isn't that good so it's best ot have a strong pbAoE (tier 2 or 3).
    I've also noticed that mobs hated you more when you cc them, especially stun. Try to get an aoe stun.

A R3 ultimate with the threat adv can definitely bump your aggro. Despite the cd it's worth it as an intro or whenever you need to steal aggro.

Note that for endgame contents, most tanks are using confront mods.