test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

They say it's your birthday Well, it's my birthday too

sgtken60sgtken60 Posts: 252 Arc User
Well the title that is from a Beatles Song, that I have been listening to for quite a few years.
And what does that have to do with anything?

For most of you nothing, but for me; Well tomorrow, I turn 60 yrs old. And again what does that have to do with the price of Zen, Or anything to with CO?
Nothing really, just an old gamer thinking about the past. So I hope you do not mind if I ramble a little about my past in the R/L World and Gaming as a whole.

I was a shy kid who collected comic books, and model Ships, and Airplanes who started gaming, back in 1977-78, with Advance Dungeons and Dragons (Pen/Paper) while in High School. Where I found a small group of friends, that was the group that this former shy kid did finally fit in with.

In the 1978, I joined the United States Navy (and I served 8 yrs total), and I found gamers in the service. We would play AD&D, Champions, and so many others. I can still remember playing ALL weekend long AD&D games, and that is non-stop from about 1600 Friday to 2000 Sunday Night.

And yes, I still did the normal young sailor stuff - - chase girls and get drunk - BUT I did not drink until I got in the Navy or ask girls out, but for me it was the gaming I remember most.
While in the USN, I met and married my first wife (not a gamer), but I still played Pen and Paper. After our divorce, the games were still there to pick me up.

Then after moving back to Ohio, and playing even more games (everything from Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, WH40K, etc.), when I got into computer games , first with Bard's Tale and many other PC games, but then I heard about this "online game" were you could play with other players, so I got myself a new computer and started a game called Ultima Online (this was about 1999).

I was hooked, (except for the PvP part of it - because of this game I still have a STRONG dislike for PvP), then I met my current wife in 2000, she had a computer but was not a gamer. She would give me heck about UO all the time, "All you do is run around", so one day I told her to sit down and try it!

She did, and loved it! Soon we had a total of 9 accounts between us, and we would sell UO virtual items on eBay (this was before they stopped it), everything from in game housing to Christmas Bells!

But times and games change, I jumped from UO, to Everquest, WoW, Guild Wars 1, GW2, LotrO, Age of Conan, World of Warships, Champions Online, Star Trek Online and so many others.
I even ran my own UO Free Server - Legends of Hope.

SO now as I sit here at work, and think of ALL the players I have met in-game and wondering how many still play? And who has moved on?
My wife still plays, LoTRO and a UO Free server, still trying get her interested in CO.

So I want to thank everyone here on the CO forums for all your help and advice, etc.. But especially @bulgarex, @flowcyto, @holloweaver and @criswolf09 for their help.

Later, and sorry about the wall of text :)

sgtken60 AKA King of Sheba of UO Server - AOL Legends (This was my first in game Name, BTW)

Comments