test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sovereign Sons Lore Question

sgtken60sgtken60 Posts: 252 Arc User
Just before my computer crapped out, I was able to get the Alligator Head Type. For a old U.S. Navy (Gator Navy - Amphibious), the was just the most wonderful thing, that I have gotten so far in the game.

Well after trying out a few different, builds and types. I decided on a HW build (using an machete), so now time to make a background for my Hero (pictured below), I am thinking of making him a former USN Sailor from Vibora Bay, who somehow was changed into his "Gator" Form by some short of Sovereign Sons Juju.

So lore wise is there anything out there that would support this?
Thanks,
7zi1Xv5.jpg
Pw9DsjR.jpg
Post edited by sgtken60 on

Comments

• overskrulloverskrull Posts: 22 Arc User
    Nothing that I can recall from the books (iirc, in the 5th ed VB book, they're an ordinary gang and Baron Cimitiere is secretly just one of Mr. Gemini's copies), but i'd say "caught up in sovereign sons juju" is perfectly cromulent, given half of them are gator-men with no real explanation
  • sgtken60sgtken60 Posts: 252 Arc User
    overskrull wrote: »
    Nothing that I can recall from the books (iirc, in the 5th ed VB book, they're an ordinary gang and Baron Cimitiere is secretly just one of Mr. Gemini's copies), but i'd say "caught up in sovereign sons juju" is perfectly cromulent, given half of them are gator-men with no real explanation

Thanks, I have been looking myself online and in my few CO books I have and could not find anything.

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Overskrull is right, the whole voodoo empowering of the Sovereign Sons is a Cryptic Studios modification to the setting; although transforming people into humanoid alligators has nothing to do with traditional voodoo. In the context of CO, your character might have had a mutative reaction to the Sons' "Bad Juju" drug, from the "Sovereign Sunset" mission. That sort of origin is not uncommon in the lore -- some people have the innate potential to manifest super powers, just awaiting the right stimulus.

Another possibility would be an encounter in San Sebastien Swamp outside Vibora Bay. The swamp has a sentient collective intelligence shared among all the animals and plants within it, which it controls. It's also home to Al, the legendary Alligator Man. Al isn't some sort of were-creature, but the unfortunate victim of an ARGENT genetic experiment who escaped them and took up residence in the Swamp. (All of that is detailed in the Vibora Bay source book.)

If this was my character, I think I'd have him run into Al, and through surprise or mistaken assumption by one or both of them, there was a fight which left the human mortally wounded. The Swamp attempted to heal him, but the combination of its magic and Al's DNA transformed your character into his gator form. This could have advantages for your character and the Swamp: it gains another set of eyes to watch over Vibora Bay, while the Swamp can telepathically warn him of supernatural threats.

Whatever you want his origin to be, I'm curious as to whether you want him to be permanently transformed, or able to change from human to gator-man and back. From a role-playing perspective the latter would make a relatively normal life much easier, but the former adds complications which might be fun for you to play out.
  • sgtken60sgtken60 Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited May 2020
    Thanks @bulgarex and if you don't mind, I may borrow your idea with Al?
    I never had the Vibora Bay Source book (EDIT: I do now, found it online :) ) so this idea of the two fighting it out in the swamps fits with my idea of my hero.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    I'm glad that works for you. Please feel free to use my suggestion. I'm grateful for you asking, but I put info like this on the forums with the hope folks can adapt it to their own gaming fun. :)