test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rename tokens

I have four similarly-themed characters that have a word in their hero name that could be considered by "sensitive" members of the community to be offensive. The word is meant to be an acronym for Transforming Reinforced Automated Persona, but I am afraid that my characters will be reported and deleted. I have worked hard levelling them up to level 40. I put alot of time, effort and money into making them look nice and play amazingly. Is there anyway I can request rename tokens so I don't get reported by sensitive players? I don't want to offend anyone, and I don't want to get in trouble. Someone told me to try reporting myself (I can't).

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    You only get a "forced" name change, if it's a "problematic" name. No charater deletion, even if the look is "offensive", just a "defaulted" costume.
    You can also report your own character to see if the name is "bad". :#
    Just keep on playing, don't get bothered what other may think. People get sensitive on lots of things.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cowbellhero17cowbellhero17 Posts: 10 Arc User
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    You only get a "forced" name change, if it's a "problematic" name. No charater deletion, even if the look is "offensive", just a "defaulted" costume.
    You can also report your own character to see if the name is "bad". :#
    Just keep on playing, don't get bothered what other may think. People get sensitive on lots of things.

I wish I could give you kudos or something. I doubt those types of people will join a superhero MMO specifically to target
    my dumb self. It seems like a long way to go out of their way to target me. I'm sure I'm not that important to a bunch of pre-offended online activists just because I made a boo-boo in a game like this.

And it's not like I don't play the characters respectfully (They are robots with platonic love-programming built-in), I make sure they keep their olfactory sensors clean, they treat people with respect, they care about the community and the world they're trying to save. I know it sounds a bit difficult to swallow, but these robots were built to care, not to start SKYNET...

Thanks for talking sense into me. You are one of this community's big heroes.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    I doubt those types of people will join a superhero MMO specifically to target
    my dumb self.

Gee I wonder what you mean by "those types" *eyeroll* don't worry, your boogeymen can't get you here, this space is totally safe.
  • jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    Report the names and give the explanation so you can get it out of the way. If you don't, you'll go nuts looking over your shoulder all the time.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    Some names or words you just can't use. However, speaking from experience, if you are concerned, do as previously instructed and report yourself.

I had to do it twice on one char because they said one word could not be used. I added 1 letter to one word and then the whole thing passed muster.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • galactickirigalactickiri Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    I had it happen once...was prompted for a rename, and nothing more came of it.

Nothing in the name was truly prohibited or bad...it was just something that some might see bad in some contexts.

But yeah; it's definitely a problem- we have some 'sensitive' members among the community at large.

Especially among the RP'ers....who love to clutter up Renn Center with their furries, or 'elite' bios...some of them are 'soft'.
  • cowbellhero17cowbellhero17 Posts: 10 Arc User
    I had it happen once...was prompted for a rename, and nothing more came of it.

Nothing in the name was truly prohibited or bad...it was just something that some might see bad in some contexts.

But yeah; it's definitely a problem- we have some 'sensitive' members among the community at large.

Especially among the RP'ers....who love to clutter up Renn Center with their furries, or 'elite' bios...some of them are 'soft'.

I just like writing informative bios that let people know who my character is and how I like to play them. I never discriminate being friends with anyone (except language is a barrier I often come across with this mindset, I can't be friends with people who can't type sentences I can understand. That and cheaters. The cheating problem isn't as bad in Champions as it is in other games, but it's not impossible not to come across someone in pubs who cheats. I'm getting off-topic though. I'll cross this bridge when I come to it. In the meantime I'm not going to spend precious Zen on name changes just because my social anxiety is acting up.
  • galactickirigalactickiri Posts: 92 Arc User
    I leave detailed bios too...I can't guaranteed they'll all be G-rated, but all have a background.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I have a word in mine that could be considered offensive but it’s been seen by at least 3 devs.

It’s an Ironman rooster homage.

And I just play like normal and try to never mention one part of the name without the other part.
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    Hmm… I did almost name a Nemesis
    “Funkbox”.
    Bc it sounded funny and starts w/ an F (he uses Foxbat’s belt). Very thankful for good friends and Urban Dictionary. :grimace:

Which reminds me: we need Nemesis rename tokens, and a feature allowing us to delete old ones.