test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Compassion toggle and indirect heals

Does Compassion improve healing from all sources, including Illumination, Moonstruck, and the heal from Furious generated by Howl?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth taking Compassion as a second toggle for a second, more support-y, build for my support-oriented werewolf. Here's the build if it's helpful. (I know Compassion will help Medical Nanites.)

Jericho (werewolf support) 1.5 - Freeform (Support)
v3.42:34

Super Stats
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Presence (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Behemoth (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
Level 6: Paramilitary Training (Str: 3, Con: 3, Rec: 3, End: 3)
Level 9: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
Level 12: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
Level 15: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 18: Discipline Training (Str: 3, Int: 3, Pre: 3, End: 3)
Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Bestial Fury
Level 1: Shred (Rank 2, Penetrating Strikes)
Level 6: Pounce (Nailed to the Ground)
Level 8: Medical Nanites (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Aspect of the Bestial
Level 14: Frenzy (Rank 2, Fear Sense)
Level 17: Supernatural Power
Level 20: Bite (Rank 2, Furor Venenum)
Level 23: Antagonize (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Moonstruck (Rank 2, Midnight Frenzy)
Level 29: Howl (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Will-o'-the-Wisp (Guide)
Level 35: Compassion
Level 38: Last Stand (Fighting Spirit)
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2)
Level 35: Teleportation (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations
Strength: Swole (3/3)
Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
Strength: Brutality (2/2)
Strength: Overpower (3/3)
Sentry: Precise (3/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Fortify (2/2)
Sentry: Stalling Tactics (2/3)
Arbiter: Enforcer (3/3)
Arbiter: Ruthless (2/2)
Arbiter: Rend (2/2)
Arbiter: Concussion (3/3)
Mastery: Sentry Mastery (1/1)

Devices

Additional Notes:
Look at Impressive Physique, Call to Battle, Unleashed Rage from Might; Illumination, Feral Rage, Will-O'-the-Wisp (Ill adv)

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,748 Arc User
    Compassion's bonus heal should improve most heals that aren't %health based. Restoration-granting advs on certain powers should count, as should healing runes like Moonstruck. An exception is Illum's Mend (which also doesn't get better w/ ranks in Illum), but that's prob cause it's sourced from a debuff placed on the target, so not all healing bonuses apply to it (it's a pretty small heal anyways). Furious' Willpower is also an exception- prob cause it's a proc from a dps buff and is balanced to be a fixed amount.

Also, Med Nanite's healing aura scales w/ Pres (and w/ SS's for you), and not w/ bonus healing (or Compassion) in general- since it's a slotted aura passive.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    patternwalkerpatternwalker Posts: 167 Arc User
    Thanks, flowcyto!

Well, now I'm not sure how to move forward. It seems like Compassion won't add much to my heals, and my heals aren't all that great in the first place. I'm not a fan of most of CO's directly applied heals--I find targeting harder in this game than in CoH, and the interface isn't macro friendly for targeting teammates and such. The same problem exists for all the bubbles--hard to bubble easily while maintaining energy as the bubbles are short-term and need targeting.

How can I improve my support abilities and still hold to my theme? Any suggestions?
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,748 Arc User
    edited January 2020
    Well, I'm not sure what type of support you're going for, cause it doesn't seem like you can replace a healer w/o a normal ally heal and/or res powers, and your own dps won't be great overall. If you're using an aura slotted passive and gearing Pres for it, then you could lean more into it and maybe try to have some more standard healer stuff in there, and just use Compassion alone. Here's an example of that:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Support)
    v3.42:34

Super Stats
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Prodigy (Pre: 5, End: 5)
    Level 9: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Infernal Bolts
    Level 1: Shred (Rank 2, Penetrating Strikes)
    Level 6: Supernatural Power
    Level 8: Medical Nanites (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Compassion
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Reverence)
    Level 17: Venomous Breath (Rank 2, Paralytic Bile)
    Level 20: Will-o'-the-Wisp (Guide)
    Level 23: Life Essence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Bite (Rank 2, Furor Venenum)
    Level 29: Death's Embrace (Rank 2, Pact)
    Level 32: Antagonize (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Indestructible (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Rebirth
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (2/3)
    Sentinel: Wither (2/2)
    Arbiter: Enforcer (3/3)
    Arbiter: Ruthless (2/2)
    Arbiter: Rend (2/2)
    Arbiter: Concussion (3/3)
    Mastery: Sentinel Mastery (1/1)

You still have many passive heal effects or auras for allies here- Med Nanites, Sent Mastery, Sent Aura, Wisp's Guide. You also have Life Essence for more upfront ally healing, when needed (and you don't have to target allies for it- just be near them when using it), and both ally and self-rezes. Venomous Breath can also be a wider AoE that can proc Sent Mastery (you could go back to Frenzy and just use Bite for Sent Mastery, though Venom Breath is still more convenient for the build overall). Gears mostly for Pres, w/ some Con and End/Rec.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    panthrax77panthrax77 Posts: 309 Arc User
    As someone who mains healers and plays on a controller, I totally get the idea of being annoyed with targeting.

If you really want passive healing, I'd recommend looking at powers that apply dependency. That scales with bonus healing and comes with several valid attacks.

Look for other HoTs like light everlasting advantages in sorcery. Other more offense based powers can work too like aforementioned runes.

Generally the best heals you can get are drains. But if you have "attack/heal target on assist" enabled in your control settings, you can use direct heals on tanks and DPSes that grab aggro.

Thankfully new support powers have shifted to more targeting friendly abilities like healing runes and AoE drains.

For interface, I tend to map "target next ally" (or whatever it's called) to a button I use often. Then in controls, I believe you can specify the targeting order you want to select them in, but I might be wrong in that it just selects the nearest friendly target.

Hope that helps a bit at least. :P