test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Red Hood type character?

ares#7140 ares Posts: 40 Arc User
edited July 2019 in Builds and Roles
Initially the character concept also entailed the use of some psionic abilities too, so I was thinking of going int primary and taking hold strength while stacking int and maybe some sort of hold power out of TK or Empath, but as I went along I realised I couldn't really fit the conflicting themes of shooting people with two guns, dodging and hitting people in melee, having stealth abilities and ALSO using TK. This is what I've arrived at, and I intentionally took presence instead of Con, because I figure the guy'd just be mostly non-superhuman in his physical capabilities, mostly relying on skill and foresight.

I'd like to hear an opinion about this build the way it turned out, keeping in mind it is a theme build, and maybe also some suggestions of how I could cram the entirety of the initial concept without making a huge mess of it. I also realise I don't have any aoe at all, which is another problem. Thanks in advance!

My hope is that it'll turn out to be decent in soloing, decent in a cosmic with two gun mojo and maybe be able to hold its own in a duel against another theme build. The low HP potentially off-set by the fact that it has two hold breakthroughs and high dodge.

[(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Any / Multiple)
v3.34:32

Super Stats
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
Level 6: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 9: Finesse (Dex: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 12: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
Level 15: Survival Training (Dex: 3, Con: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
Level 18: Agile (Dex: 8)
Level 21: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)

Powers
Level 1: Gunslinger
Level 1: Burst Shot (Taking Names)
Level 6: Composure (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Evasive Maneuvers (Stim Pack)
Level 11: Sharp Shooter
Level 14: Lock N Load (Two Smoking Barrels)
Level 17: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Killer Instinct
Level 23: Parry (The Elusive Monk)
Level 26: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
Level 29: Masterful Dodge
Level 32: Resurgence (Rank 2, Evanescent Emergence)
Level 35: Thundering Kicks (Floating Lotus Blossom, Demolishing Strikes)
Level 38: Thunderbolt Lunge (Essence Assault, Nailed to the Ground)
Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Swinging (Rank 2, Flippin')
Level 35: Ninja Vanish

Specializations
Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Deadly Aim (2/3)
Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Huh, weird- the linked build is quite different than the exported one. Anyways, I assume Frag Grenade could be thematic for her, and if so then you may want to use that instead of Burst Shot for debuffing. Targeting Computer is also higher sustained dps than Composure (though if you wanted stealth, you could get Night Warrior instead of either of those and still do well). Also, you prob want to get Parry to R3, rather than keep it at R1 w/ the adv (the EM adv lowers melee dps and only procs when meleeing anyways). I'd prob also replace Lock N Load w/ Imbue. BCR will also lower your dps while it's up. The melee stuff won't really work well w/ the rest of the build overall (won't proc the toggle or EU, nor be boosted by Composure or TC), so I may just focus the build on ranged dps. You also generally want to get Deadly Aim and Expose Weakness maxed when taking Dex PSS (the dodge/avoid options are kinda weak, in comparison).

For AoE, you can use either Bullet Hail, SMG, Gatling Gun, or Lead Tempest (keeping in mind you want Furious effects if using Sharpshooter). Here's how I may edit the build:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform (Ranged Damage)
    v3.34:32

Super Stats
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Gunslinger
    Level 1: Submachinegun Burst (Rank 2, Wall of Bullets)
    Level 6: Sharp Shooter
    Level 8: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Killer Instinct
    Level 14: Frag Grenade (Cuts and Scrapes, Open Wound)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Parry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Masterful Dodge
    Level 32: Imbue
    Level 35: Fiery Embrace
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 27/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

The last 3-4 powers can be switched out for other things, if desired. If you're taking melee abilities, though, I'd put ranking them as a lower priority since they'd mostly be there for theme, and not practicality. Gears mostly for Dex, w/ some Con and Rec (and skips gearing for severity rating when it gets Dex Mastery). Other SS setups can work too (say, if you wanted to keep Pres in there), though Dex should stay SS'd somewhere if using Sharpshooter.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    If you still want a stun in there you could take Concussion Grenade w/ adv, Dragon Kick, Crashing Wave Kick, a Lunge w/ a stun as the last power or the Poison Shuriken device from the Q store.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • ares#7140 ares Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Yep, frag grenade is definitely preferable. As for Targeting Computer, my main gripe with it was that it didn't provide any dodge bonus, where composure does. I know Night Warrior does as well, but the bonus it provides is quite small in comparison to something like Way of the Warrior, which I assume provides a similar amount to Composure. Would sticking to Composure really be so detrimental to the dps output of the build?

Also you have a point, conviction is probably better because it interacts strongly with crit chance and severity. I was just thinking that the dodge chance + reiki would provide a no-maintenance self-heal and was generally thinking that perhaps I could have melee be something like a "defensive" mode with high dodge chance, self-healing and then I could come out of it with a Demolish debuff, which is 6% less resistance on the target and after disengaging with Evasive Maneuvers continue shooting things to death. Again, it's important to note that I wasn't making this build with it being optimal for cosmics in mind. I was thinking mostly about how this character would fair against a pack of villains, I suppose. Something like the Night Avenger AT, but made better with FF was what I had in mind initially, but I wasn't sure quite how to build that at the end of the day.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2019
    Well, dodge in general is rng-based, and for a dps that's a bit less desirable overall since you're not expected to take much sustained dmg anyways (at least, not w/ a proper tank around). You can make a pseudo tank-dps w/ WotW, TKick's Lithe, and BCR/RR to get decent dodge/avoid as a dps- and still do fine in casual content w/ it. But that's still a hit to dps, and requires melee-ing pretty regularly. Even then, you still have the issue of a ranged dps toggle not procing w/ melee attacks, and using a universal toggle like FotT instead isn't as good for ranged builds (due to the lower dmg bonus for ranged). Imo, that sort of setup is better suited to a melee unit overall.

You can still take something like Composure as the passive if you want, though; it's an okay option for Tech dps builds, even if it's not ideal for Ranged Tech dps. 'Defense mode' can simply be just that you have 2 AD's and a ranked block to fall back on, and Bullet Hail or SMG Burst's 3-pt dmg shield adv is already a very tanky option for AoE-ing trash with anyways.. but there's room in my build to fit in other things too, if you want (like extra CC, as Jaaz mentioned).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!