test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

QoL: Please increase the chatbox character limit

as above...the low character limit has always irritated me because i frequently end up having to split up long sentences into two or even three posts, but now i would really appreciate an increase more than ever, as i was trying to create a keybind for my police werewolf character that would post the typical 'you're under arrest/you have the right to remain silent, etc.' miranda warning to local for shirts and giggles at cosmics or other big bosses

well, the entire miranda warning by itself doesn't even fit before hitting the limit, never mind the 'you're under arrest' bit or the code i have to tack on to make it a keybind​​
#LegalizeAwoo

Comments

• Options
    geez...more than 24 hours and not a single post - you'd think someone besides me would be annoyed by how small the character limit is - like all those people constantly hawking wares in various channels or advertising supergroups or just posting particularly long links along with a description of what's at the other end of it and taking multiple posts to do it​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Personally I don't find it that much of a problem. The only time it really affected me was when I used to advertise our costume contests... I would always have to find ways to reduce the CC ad to fit the character limit without changing the theme or categories.

In hindsight, I think this was a good thing as it meant I wasn't posting huge amounts of text which would have probably resulted in me getting ignored for spamming. It made things more concise for folks to remember too.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    pwestolemynamepwestolemyname Posts: 978 Arc User
    I like the limit on chat. I also wish they would limit posting frequency so people can't spam cross-posting. Nothing draconian, maybe like once every 2 seconds.

I do see your point on doing binds, though. This could prohibit a long, complex bind command. But, I thought the bind text file could be edited directly, which would allow for that.
    - - - - -
    SIGNATURE:
    Used to be coach on the forums. Still @coach in game.
  • Options
    last i checked, text files are only for storing binds so you can lead them across multiple characters - you can't execute a bind directly from one​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    you can use bind_load_file to loads binds from a file. You can't execute them from there, but you can edit the file with a regular text editor so the line length doesn't matter (there might be a line length limit in bind_load_file, but it's not likely to be the same).
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    It has to be restricted in some fashion, otherwise zone would be full of essays when people start arguing.​​
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    It has to be restricted in some fashion, otherwise zone would be full of essays when people start arguing.​​
    More useful to spammers, really.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    like people don't post essays already...the only difference is they currently have to hit the enter key 4 times instead of 2 - not a monumental effort and not a valid reason to keep the character limit as-is, especially when other MMOs like ESO have a far higher one

and even if i did setup a text-based keybind, it still wouldn't work for what i want it to do, because AFAIK keybind-triggered chat messages still have to go through the chatbox, which would then truncate it because of the character limit

now if text messages triggered through keybinds BYPASSED the chatbox entirely...that would work for me​​
    Post edited by legendarylycan#5411 on
    #LegalizeAwoo