test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shadow Banning

Shadow banning = player can post and we can see they have made a post but their post is invisible. All previous discussions and comments are gone as well.

I expect this thread to be closed as any sort of criticism or questions always seems to be moderated. Yet if you are trolling others and passively aggressively trying to start arguements and derail discussions in 90% of threads, nothing happens.

What is the criteria for shadow banning? Why do players not get warnings?

Is it at the whim of a moderator/dev/arc employee? Is it just feeling biased that day and deciding to abuse power? Or is it the actual forums glitching out and doing it?

How can a player who hardly post in forums make a comment that was meant to be humorous be shadow banned?

Said post goes like this:

“Totally and completely not furry stuff or more cats, that’s for sure!!!”

I don’t know about you....but this is just obscene!

So what is it? Trigger happy banning or a faulty arc forum? Or crab people?

Comments

• Options
    maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    Yep...
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    So far it seems that if you are one of those players that claims to have quit the game but keeps coming back to relentlessly ***** about the game that's a sure way to get shadow banned. Also if they figure out that you're one of those people who got shadow banned on a new account trying to circumvent it. For others I'm not sure but I'd venture to guess that people who just troll constantly, especially if they're too aggressive and insulting in how they do it, it'll happen to them - that's my guess for one person in particular. And actually there is one person who I'm pretty sure got shadow banned for, as you say, constantly trolling and passively aggressively starting arguments and derailing discussions.

I doubt someone got shadow banned for the comment "“Totally and completely not furry stuff or more cats, that’s for sure!!!”". Our mods don't have hair triggers, believe you me, and they are quite deliberate in their application of these things.​​
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Player is a lifetimer, uses forums very little and that was his comment.

So if it’s not hair trigger moderating then there must be something wrong with the actual forum....because we both know that people have said far worse and here they stay.
  • Options
    Player also had no prior moderation warnings or a message to say they have been banned. (As far as I know)
  • Options
    Sounds like something to directly ask a mod about. You know they won't discuss these things in a public thread.​​
  • Options
    nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    The spam filter is overly sensitive, it's happened to me before, and I had to send in a report to get it fixed.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • Options
    I’ll tell him to give it a try.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    I don't get the point to shadow banning. Why let other people see that someone tried to post something but not let people see it. Just make it a complete ban and be done with it.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    I saw this too and know the player, he's been playing for years and has never been a troll in game or here on the forums. He has rarely posted in the forums too. I saw his comment and there was no attacking others or profanity or rage-quitting in it. It was a simple humerous statement about what rewards we might expect from the soon to be updated Destroyer's Factory.

All he said was “Totally and completely not furry stuff or more cats, that’s for sure!!!”.

That's all it was... then Boom! Shadowbanned with no warning. :o

Edit: Just noticed that this thread has been set to not go to the top of the Discussions list when a new comment is posted.

Quelle surprise
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Guys, this may be the first time in history that a forum related to Champions Online has possibly not worked as intended. Record this event so future people may know of it.
    Quelle surprise

Yeah I'm surprised it wasn't closed outright like it should have been. Pretty sure the whole thing is against forum TOU. Mods are being weird and bending the rules.

Hey ealford any word back from whoever he tried to contact? I know it's ambitious to think he'd get a response same day.​​
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »
    And actually there is one person who I'm pretty sure got shadow banned for, as you say, constantly trolling and passively aggressively starting arguments and derailing discussions.

I doubt someone got shadow banned for the comment "“Totally and completely not furry stuff or more cats, that’s for sure!!!”". Our mods don't have hair triggers, believe you me, and they are quite deliberate in their application of these things.​​

I'd ask who, but, I'm sure that is against the rules. So, will not ask who.

(Now to the discussion at hand.)

As for shadow bans... Never heard of those. This is the first time I've heard of them. More often than not, I'd think that a thread/post that gets deleted is because someone reported it, and/or it in some sort of fashion breaking the rules.

But, yeah, I doubt anyone would get banned for the comment that was used as an example. Most times I've seen posts/threads vanish was because of how obnoxious/offensive/trollish the posts/threads were. Sometimes, I hear that is not the case, but, I doubt anyone really could prove that to be the case. Though, I doubt the mods keep copies of the offending posts/threads to show why they banned it.
  • Options
    The more I read, the more it sounds like an automatic ban that was not initiated by the mods, but, something in the system. But, I don't know if this forum has automatic bans in place. And, typically, it is against the rules to talk about bans. But, I guess, as long as we are not actually using names or bashing the mods...they are going to let it slide while they work with the banned person directly?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    soulforger wrote: »
    while they work with the banned person directly?

Here's hoping.

zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    Have not. He is going to do as nbkxs suggested.

Which is why I am asking these questions. Because if there is a fault in the forums and sees something as spam, then it should be seen to.
  • Options

Which is why I am asking these questions. Because if there is a fault in the forums and sees something as spam, then it should be seen to.

I do know of a spam protection type auto system. Hence why I HATE editing posts. Simply put, from my experience, editing/posting to fast results in the forum "eating up" the post, basically, deleting it outright, and they never returned for me. I know it is not a mod doing it, but, the forums itself. Hence why I was wondering if there is a possible auto-ban system in the forum we are not aware of and for some reason it saw his post and auto-banned him.

But, here is hoping that something good comes for him.
  • Options

Are they actually sure they're shadow banned? Have they tried posting in this thread? Have them try to post in this thread just to be totally sure.​​
  • Options
    spinnytop wrote: »

Are they actually sure they're shadow banned? Have they tried posting in this thread? Have them try to post in this thread just to be totally sure.​​

I do. He actually was first comment in here. Clicking on his account shows Zero comments ever and zero discussions. He tried several threads to see if he could.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    He actually was first comment in here. Clicking on his account shows Zero comments ever and zero discussions. He tried several threads to see if he could.

Yet to him his posts appear as normal in threads.... shadowbanned indeed.

zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    Yeah, there's some weird stuff going around...
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Options
    He actually was first comment in here. Clicking on his account shows Zero comments ever and zero discussions. He tried several threads to see if he could.

Yet to him his posts appear as normal in threads.... shadowbanned indeed.

In short, he can see his own posts and threads just fine, while the rest of us cannot. That is an odd way of banning people, though, I'd call it more like excluding people.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,090 Cryptic Developer
    Closing thread. Please contact a moderator (Ambassadorkael or myself) for inquiries involving forums accounts.​​
This discussion has been closed.