test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shadow destroyer question

Ok, so we know that most or all of Shadow D's Multifarian version of the Champions have counterparts on Earth. This statue is of one of the heroes killed in the Battle of Detroit. Look at her boots. They're nearly the same as the boots Lautna stole from Shadow Destroyer. And the gauntlets which I don't have are very similar to hers. Why? We know that for the most part the shared characters use similar costumes. But this isn't James Harmon's statue, and Earth's James Harmon doesn't wear this style of armor. I guess one could say that it's part of what distinguishes them from each other(aside from how they all use different codenames), but... how many other Multifarian characters dress like a different character from Earth? See?
dc923nr-ffdb1c41-3ca7-4f9c-9842-eb3f9b1e5238.jpg

Also while writing this I developed a fan-theory that Oubliette is actually a Multifarian version of one of the heroes killed in the Battle of Detroit.
ChampsWiki
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My characters

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Were you actually looking for an in-game explanation for the boots? Because of course the probable real answer is that CO devs don't aspire to consistency at that level of detail in reusing costume pieces. But if you do want an explanation, remember that Multifaria IS Earth; just an alternate version, albeit a very unusual one. Champions Earth is another. Some things and people on Multifarian Earth differ from their Champions Earth counterparts greatly, others slightly, and some scarcely at all.

Per Champions Villains Vol. 1: Master Villains, in the entry for Shadow Destroyer's servants, Oubliette was created by SD out of shadows, arcane lightning, and his own blood. Mind you, that in itself doesn't obviate her being an alternate version of someone from Champions Earth with a different origin. "Eclipse, a mischievous, playful heroine with darkness powers who claimed to be a sentient sunspot" (Champions Universe p. 85) would be the most obvious candidate from the victims of the Battle of Detroit.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Actually the statue is not even an NPC so it's a different art asset. If you look closely you'll see that I'm standing on the top of her boot. It could just be that the devs thought that costume style was cool. Not sure which hero's statue it is and I'm kinda wondering what the Multifarian version of that character was like.... or if we even know...

Um, yeah, Eclipse is the one I was thinking of. :) A sunspot is kinda like a shadow... It's merely less bright than the rest of the sun, but shadows on Earth aren't perfect darkness either.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Superhero costume styles tend to be incestuous. After Superman first showed up in a cape lots of supers just had to have one. ;)

Eclipse actually being a "living sunspot" may have been real or just a line she spun. In the supers genre, what sounds cool is sometimes more important than what's logical. :p
    Hmm it could be the old unreliable narrator trope. Eclipse may not know what she actually is because she didn't witness her own origin.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Maybe just a coincidence. They each, separately, happened to design their boots the same way?

Well, I guess that violates Chekhov's Gun...​​
    But it does slide nicely along Occam's Razor. :p
    Well it's a common trope that parallel universes have the same things but get them different ways.

BTW, does anyone know whose statue Lautna is standing on?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters