test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Supra Shotgun Build (still possible?)

Some years ago, a Shotgun Blast heavy build was posted here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/championsonline#/discussion/242445/super-shotgun-build-reloaded

With all the changes to Muni over the years, I was just curious if this is still a viable powerset? The biggest change since then is that Shotgun is now a charge instead of a tap, other than that i'd like to know if there could be a modern update to this old build?

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I think you mean build or concept instead of 'powerset', since powerset in CO usually means the power categories like Munitions, PA, etc.

Anyways, assuming the goal is to spam Shotgun as much as possible, then yea its still feasible. I wouldn't normally use Defiance on a non-tank Hybrid build, unless you are only playing solo (you shouldn't really need the extra energy anyways, if the rest of the build is in order). Ofc, there's also the potential annoyance of knockback for your teammates when spamming Shotgun, but I'll leave the importance of that factor up to you.

Here's a 'dps' shotgun build:

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=30&n=&d=15730bNPWQXa000000800087038D008E0099038J0CK5038H0CON019D038O03K6007N031L000ckr3BIR42ct500000000&e=

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Gunslinger
    Level 1: Shotgun Blast (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Concentration
    Level 8: Killer Instinct
    Level 11: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Frag Grenade (Cuts and Scrapes, Open Wound)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Mini Mines (Wall of Fire, Stim Pack)
    Level 23: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Imbue
    Level 35: Toxic Nanites (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Thundering Return
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Its single-target dps won't be good, but throwing in Frag Grenade, Toxic Nanites, and 2 AO's can help w/ that a bit- and w/o taking that much away from the shotgun spam. Mini Mines can give you an extra self-heal on use, and can KD enemies that get close. Gears mostly for Ego, w/ some Con. If energy is abundant (and it could be), then you can consider switching Rec SS for Dex SS for more dps.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    I noticed you didn't include the Iron Cyclone power, the build seems to highly recommend it though from watching the video i'm not sure why. I mistakenly thought it had the Vortex option to crowd enemies together so more could be hit by the shotgun blast. But in keeping with the build's theme; would the Sonic Device and Miniaturization Drive powers still be a good fit? It seems like the goal is to always have "on next hit" powers going.

I see you picked Ego/Guardian/Vindicator/Ego mastery, this other build has Constitution/Avenger/Vindicator/Constitution Mastery, is there a significant difference to your choices versus theirs?
  • Options
    Again, my build is more of a dps focus, and Con PSS is not a good pick for that. I didn't really aim to follow the original build much- mainly since its old. Avenger + Vind could work too, but Guardicator is still a fine option.

Iron Cyclone was there I guess because that poster was going for a specific theme that also used some chains, but since its a non-Muni power and kinda costly it wouldn't play too well in the build (its a decent corralling power w/ Vortex, though). But yea, the other On-Next Hit powers can work too; I chose nanites cause its the best one for pure dps.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    If I do Dex instead, what talents would be a good replacement?
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    Since Shotgun is a Blast, couldn't it get some mileage out of Avenger Mastery?​​
  • Options
    beerbanebeerbane Posts: 197 Arc User
    Speaking of blasting things, give us a Spinny Fire Build already! ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Since Shotgun is a Blast, couldn't it get some mileage out of Avenger Mastery?​​
    Sure, that'd be a good pick w/ Dex SS'd in particular.

something like-
    Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Round 'em Up (3/3)
    Avenger: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Avenger: Preemptive Strike (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Avenger Mastery (1/1)
    If I do Dex instead, what talents would be a good replacement?
    Assuming its still w/ Ego PSS and Con SS:

Talents
    Level 1: The Gunslinger (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Ego: 8, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 18: Shooter (Dex: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 21: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
  • Options
    Preemptive Strike appears to apply to non-blast attacks, but the powers you listed don't appear to have a non-blast attack aside from the energy builder. What besides Shotgun are blast attacks anyway?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Frag Grenade is a non-blast ranged attack here. Most ranged attacks aren't blasts, but the ones that are will generally have the 'Blast' label somewhere in the tooltip.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    What besides Shotgun are blast attacks anyway?

Burst Shot and Shotgun are Munition's blast attacks. Munitions doesn't seem terribly well suited to taking advantage of Preemptive Strike, at least not as well as other sets. It only buffs the first tic of any dots, so Frag Grenade won't get much from it. Conc grenade, Incen grenade, Rocket, and Holdout shot seem like the primary candidates - maybe Sniper Rifle, but that'd be a bit iffy to actually pull off. Execution Shot is melee so it likely won't benefit, same with Mini Mines.

Could be a shotgunner who throws grenades? Swap out Energy Shield and Thundering return for Conc Grenade and Incen Grenade. Might be more damage I dunno u3u WIthout something to take advantage of Preemptive Strike might as well take those points and put em in Anguish and Can't Touch This.​​
  • Options
    If only Plasmite were a thrown power instead of one you place on the ground, a TNT bundle would look great in place of a pineapple grenade.