test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Image file question

I was wondering if anybody could answer this question; I saved a costume file, got a new computer and went from Win7 to Win10. The costume's name wasn't what it should be, it was a jumble of letters/numbers. I put it in the screenshots folder, it doesn't show up in the character creator. I tried making a generic hero and giving my costume that file's name, but that didn't work either. Is there any way I can get this outfit to load if I now have a different operating system? (recreating the costume isn't the hard part, I spent a whole day getting the slider scales just right so I was hoping I could get this outfit to load so I don't have to do it all over again)

Comments

• Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    It seems like at some point you may have uploaded the file to a service that changed it a bit. For instance if you used Discord to send the file from one computer to another, it makes changes to the file (including the name) which ruins it as a costume file. Costume files are pretty fragile so you can't really mess with the hem a lot.

Going from one operating system to another shouldn't be an issue at all. The best way to protect the file would be to use a method of transfer that doesn't alter the file at all. You could zip or rar it up and email it, or stick it in a usb stick or memory card. Of course this only works if you still have access to the old, original file on the previous computer.

If not, you might try the Costume Renaming Tool you can find somewhere on these forums. I'm not sure if it'll fix the file (if it's only the name that's changed it might be salvageable but if the text within the file has been changed or erased the file is probably toast.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    I found the thread you mentioned. It appears that a Win10 update has broken .NET files, so it looks like i'm all out of luck. :|
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    It's possible to manually rename it and get it to work IIRC. Kinda fiddly though.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    It's possible to manually rename it and get it to work IIRC. Kinda fiddly though.

It appears to be a JPEG file, I am not sure what the text within the file is or how to find that. I am not sure how else to manually rename it since there appears to be a unique set of numbers attached to each saved costume in the screenshot folder. If you have any ideas feel free to share them but I think it's a lost cause by this point.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    It is a JPG file but it does have text in it. If you drop it into a text editor you'll see it. If it's been changed at all (and saved as a standard .jpg) it'll erase all that data. I don't think the filename has much to do with whether or not Champions can read the file.

If you no longer have access to the old file to re-export it you might be out of luck. Did you never save the costume to a character? If you did you could just export it again.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    It's a jpeg file that stores costume information in file metadata (if you actually look at info on a file, it will show you all kinds of gibberish); anything that modifies or deletes file metadata will make it unreadable.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Oh, Metadata, yeah things that eat metadata ruin costume files. But IIRC things that rename files instead of corrupting the file make it so the game ignores it's existence.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters