test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Returning player~ help with the new crafting system.

aeonjeanaeonjean Posts: 2 Arc User
This week is my first time back in game since 2011ish. After logging in I noticed I have tons of crafting materials and they all say ctrl + right click to convert your components into cores. Is there any downside to this?

My character is level 27 and has 300 Mysticism, after reading some in game text from a vendor it seems this isn't even possible to do anymore. Is my character okay? Do I need to convert her crafting skill like the components?

Comments

• nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 766 Arc User
    Those are pretty worthless now, there really isn't a crafting system anymore, it's just a mod system where you fuse mods of equal rank % chance up to the next level, where rank 9 is the highest, and provides the best benefit. Those components that you have there I believe convert into rank 1s, which are completely useless. You're better off finding some fours, or fives IG, and just slotting those, than trying to mess with any of that old crafting stuff.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • lezard21lezard21 Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    Also I dont' remember how the old crafting ranking work, but 400 is the current maximum. You rank up your crafting by inspecting nodes in the overworld that correspond to your level (in your case level 300 Mysticism nodes). Or you buy Crafting level up +10 from AH.​​
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    If you are at Crafting Skill 300, check the Trainer where the crafting tables are (building to the left of RECOGNITION bldg in Ren Center). Buy the skill up so that you can level to 400. The higher your crafting skill, the better your chance (base) is to fuse mods into higher mods.

DO NOT convert your old crafting mats. They ALL convert to level 1s, and not even at a 1:1 ratio. Pure crap to do that. Your best thing to do is take them to a vendor (good ol Karneeki is close by) and sell them off.

Depending on your playstyle, just do any of the events, alerts, higher content, nemesis stuff, etc and you will accumulate mods of rank 4 and 5. Plus you should get some semi-decent gear drops. In my opinion, blue rank 40 basic gear drops are still worthwhile pieces of gear.

And, above all else (then why is it at the bottom?), ASK IN ZONE CHAT if you have any questions about the game. Lots of players will help you. Of course, that also depends on your time zone that you play. US times are pretty good with player quantity.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • aeonjeanaeonjean Posts: 2 Arc User
    Thanks for all the replies.
    warcanch wrote: »
    DO NOT convert your old crafting mats. They ALL convert to level 1s, and not even at a 1:1 ratio. Pure crap to do that. Your best thing to do is take them to a vendor (good ol Karneeki is close by) and sell them off.

This is extremely disappointing.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    It's about the same thing they do when they "retire" an old currency to introduce a new one. They don't want you starting off with the best stuff immediately. Have to play to earn it.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • casualslackscasualslacks Posts: 17 Arc User
    I had stopped playing regularly in 2011 as well, but I came back last year. While I kept a few of the classic mats for nostalgia purposes, I did convert most of them modern mats just to help me level up my crafting profession. If I recall correctly, they all converted to core mods, which I found useful even though they're low level. Ignore me if you're already caught on how the current crafting system works.

Having Mysticism rank 300 is still valuable because you're got a better chance of successfully fusing mods which is good for equipping your heroes or fetching you a tidy sum in the Auction House. The market goes up and down, but in-demand rank 6 - 9 mods can sell for 30G to 500G. Rank 9 mods are extremely rare and attempting to fuse five rank 8 mods unless you're max profession rank and you're using a safeguard catalyst is just throwing away money. Moreover, if you, with 300 Mysticism, were fusing Science typed Armoring, Enhancement, Vehicle,or Core mods, you might have only a 17% chance to fuse five rank 5 mods into a single rank 6. Which means that you'll probably fail and lose a rank 5 mod. However, if you were fusing five Mysticism typed rank 5 mods, you might have a 70% chance to make one rank 6. The top profession rank is 400, so you'll have to visit the trainer to buy the last rank unlock and then start fusing rank 4-6 modes to get up there.
    World Class Chump
  • jwilliamswku1jwilliamswku1 Posts: 12 Arc User
    aeonjean wrote: »
    This week is my first time back in game since 2011ish. After logging in I noticed I have tons of crafting materials and they all say ctrl + right click to convert your components into cores. Is there any downside to this?

My character is level 27 and has 300 Mysticism, after reading some in game text from a vendor it seems this isn't even possible to do anymore. Is my character okay? Do I need to convert her crafting skill like the components?

Yes, i'm in the same boat. I just came back last week or so after having been gone 3200 days. One of my backpacks is literally full of stacks of mats. I don't even remember how I got them or how the old system worked. I have 285 science, so I must have did some working on it at one point, but now I have no clue what to do, and the game is not explaining what to do either. I think i'm just fubar.
  • omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    IDK if he runs the tutorial on command or just once, but try talking to a guy called Max Planck. He's at the back of the Mods and Fusion building in Renaissance Center.

TL:DR is you fuse 5 of a mod to make 1 of the next rank. There's always risk of it failing though.

Example: I take five of a Strength Enhancement Rank 3 and fuse them to make one Strength Enhancement Rank 4.
  • revanantmoriturirevanantmorituri Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    aeonjean wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.
    warcanch wrote: »

This is extremely disappointing.

Keep one of each as souvenirs. They have vastly more interesting flavor text than the modern junk.

Also, Bloodmoon event comes in October, and it drops scads of Mysticism mods you con use to make the jump to skill 400. (I got my main up in less than a week, but I also had five other characters feeding her their drops.)
    -
    Formerly @Seschat pre PWEmerger. @Seschat on the Titan boards.

Supporter of the Titan Project.
  • omnilord#8416 omnilord Posts: 348 Arc User
    Collecting the mods for the current crafting system isn't difficult. You get piles of them just for doing quests, daily missions, or even goofing off and just beating up random mobs randomly on a random map.
    B)