test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Size-manipulation Powers

deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
Nothing to see, no euphemisms here.

Changing size is a rather hot topic as of late, so here's a couple of thoughts and ideas for its "practical" use for combat. Currently, we have Gadgeteering's "Miniaturization Drive" which allows us to apply a Damage Output reducing debuff on a target as an "On Next Hit" effect. This sort of effect feels wonky for the effect it gives, but not out of place for the set as a whole. What I mean is, for the shrinking effect, the application can be changed. We don't need it to be an On Next Hit ability, as its capacity can be made into its own ability. Perhaps it can be changed into the ever obvious shrink ray, a staple for comics.

Shrink ray
50 Foot, Single Target Maintain
Deals consistent Particle Damage
+ While maintaining, the target loses Damage Output and Resistance which persists for a short time after the ability stops.
+ While ineffective against high-rank targets, the shrinking effect makes enemies look small and insignificant... at least to the user. Puny henchmen.
- Short Cooldown.
(2-point Advantage) Deals escalating damage the longer it is maintained

As far as a power to make the user "grow", I would suggest a type of Active Defense that simply adds Resistance and Max Health. The user's size doesn't have to change to drastic levels. Something noticeable, but not crazy. This sort of thing can become a Might-based ability as well, since Might as a Tanking set doesn't have an in-set AD.

Giant's Growth
Active Defense
+ While active, the user gains significant resistance and max health.
+ In addition, the user's size also grows. Their ego may also be inflated well out of proportion to their body.
- Long Cooldown that is shared with other Active Defenses.
(2-point Advantage) User gains additional Strength.

Here's a few bonus ideas to throw out there as well.

Miniaturization Drive (Replaces current Mini-drive... because that Mini-drive would be replaced with a Shrink ray.)
Active Defense
+ While active, the user gains significant avoidance and moderate resistance.
+ In addition, the user shrinks.
- Long Cooldown that is shared with other Active Defenses.
(2-point Advantage) While active, the user also gains an escalating chance to dodge an attack. This stacks as the user takes damage, and becomes consumed when an attack is dodged.

Growth Empowerment
50 Foot, Single Target Charged Ally Buff
+ While active, the user gains moderate resistance and damage output
+ In addition, the target's size also grows.
+ This effect is considered an Enchantment.
- Moderate Cooldown.
(3-point Advantage) The buff is also duplicated onto the caster, without the growth effect.​​
Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

Comments

• Options
    gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
    What would the duration/cooldown of these be?​​
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    Given that growth is going to be visible to user-only now, I doubt that size-altering powers will be a thing since it affects others.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    What would the duration/cooldown of these be?

Shrink ray would probably be something like 5 or 6 seconds cooldown, shrinking the target for the duration of the maintain and up to 3 seconds after it ends.

The ADs would be more in line with the others, a 10-ish second duration with a minute and a half long cooldown.

The Empowerment spell would last as long as the ADs would, but can be recast in 30 seconds or so.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

Whatever the devs ended up setting them to o3o​​
  • Options
    screwthisprocessscrewthisprocess Posts: 186 Arc User
    If you are big and no one else knows it but you, are you truly big?
  • Options
    xcelsior41xcelsior41 Posts: 1,056 Arc User
    deadman20 wrote: »

Shrink ray would probably be something like 5 or 6 seconds cooldown, shrinking the target for the duration of the maintain and up to 3 seconds after it ends.

The ADs would be more in line with the others, a 10-ish second duration with a minute and a half long cooldown.

The Empowerment spell would last as long as the ADs would, but can be recast in 30 seconds or so.​​

Sounds like neat ideas!
    Buffing everything to stupid high levels and nerfing everything to piss poor levels yields the same results, but not the same community reactions.

42 40s, LTSer.
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User

You are being big by not being a hindrance to others. I don't see anything wrong with that.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

I'm gonna go with yes o3o
    QUMCFmp.jpg​​
  • Options
    hollow#2749 hollow Posts: 20 Arc User
    That ape seems very curious about your crotch in that pic.
  • Options
    screwthisprocessscrewthisprocess Posts: 186 Arc User
    spinnytop wrote: »

I'm gonna go with yes o3o
    QUMCFmp.jpg​​

Clearly photo-shopped, you were not that big in the game :p

I get the hindrance part, if it is a hindrance, I don't see why it is needed tbh. I am not attacking people who like the device, I just don't think it was necessary. That is just me and I am only one person.

And Hollow made me laugh, that pic is epic.
  • Options
    ironman12348ironman12348 Posts: 41 Arc User
    Clearly photo-shopped, you were not that big in the game :p

Except that it isn't. This is a demonstration of client-side magnifier that sets you to the size of 5. Pretty sure the guy used maxed out Enrage w/ Giant Growth with this.