test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Coruscating Might?

jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
Is this new mod useful? Helpful in any particular kinds of builds? Anyone know how this aspect of the trigger mechanism works: "The base chance to trigger this effect is 5%, but is modified by your power's charge and activation time"?Assuming it means that the longer the charge/activation time the higher the chance? How high can it go?

I keep thinking this is part of an add for either a tooth paste or cleanser: "... now with coruscating might, for that fresher, brighter look."
JwLmWoa.png
Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!

Comments

• theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    I keep thinking this is part of an add for either a tooth paste or cleanser: "... now with coruscating might, for that fresher, brighter look."

Haha, I like that.

I think it could potentially be useful for Wardicator / Guardicator Tanks or DPS, since it should count towards "Geared Offense" so would also increase defense, provided you used Aggressive Stance.

Might be worth testing on the PTS....
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    I tried it with Wardicator back when I still had Gold Sub. At r9 I think it gave like 3-5% all dmg resist when triggered iirc. But that was when Wardicator wasn't fixed.

It's a risky mod and trading a gambler/confront/DUC for 5% chance is just not worth the hassle. Unless devs give a reason to use Offense, I'd consider this another trash mod.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Is this new mod useful? Helpful in any particular kinds of builds? Anyone know how this aspect of the trigger mechanism works: "The base chance to trigger this effect is 5%, but is modified by your power's charge and activation time"?
    It means multiply chance by the power's charge+activation, so on a power that takes 3s it is 15%, on a power that takes 0.5s it is 2.5%. If the buff can refresh itself it would apply about half the time when attacking continuously (so more average offense than an offense core unless you're not attacking a significant fraction of the time), if the buff cannot refresh it's about 1/3 of the time.

If the buff can refresh, it's slightly more effective than an offense core on characters who expect to attack continuously (dps), but worse in content that requires blocking more than about 20% of the time. If the buff cannot refresh, it's pretty much always worse than an offense core. As offense cores aren't very popular in the first place, I'd probably skip this one as well.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Okay, so it's better than an Offense core, but is it better than a crit/severity core?

One use I could think of is for tanks in aoe situations. Since they'll be hitting a bunch of stuff constantly, lots of chance for the buff to apply, and a bit more damage+defense.
    doubt the proc chance is per target.
    edited July 2018
    doubt the proc chance is per target.

Doubt is nice. Testing is better.
  • nbkxsnbkxs Posts: 768 Arc User
    It doesn't seem to refresh, and multiple targets don't seem to help the chance of applying it much either. In all of my tests both before, and after the adjustment, it seems to hurt more than it helps. The only place where I can see it having a decent enough application rate would be from a PA that's constantly got 3 things going. But I don't know if it's going to beat a lucky gem.
    [NbK]XStorm
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    Interesting to hear all this. Now I'm curious what the easiest thing they could do to fix these to make them on par with the good old standard mods would be.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Interesting to hear all this. Now I'm curious what the easiest thing they could do to fix these to make them on par with the good old standard mods would be.
    Make the buff refresh.
    So basically it is hands down worse than a lucky gem. Maybe crits are gonna get nerfed in some way soon?
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,429 Arc User
    They tried to better balance the Crit vs Offense situation a few years ago. I wouldn't be surprised, and wouldn't mind, if they went back to trying to do that ab it more.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Make the buff refresh.
    Actually, that's not good enough; making the buff refresh increases uptime from 33% to 40%, so at r3 138 x .4 = 55 average, which is not enough to be better than an offense core. However, the rank scaling seems different, so it might be worthwhile at higher ranks.
    Well, should it be better than an offense core? They both provide offense, so once the Corr mod is better, offense cores become obsolete. I doubt that making offense cores obsolete in offense slots is the goal here.
    Has anyone seen it proc back-to-back? I'm wondering if it has a cooldown
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Well, should it be better than an offense core?
    It should provide somewhat more average offense, because (a) it's not available for initial attacks, (b) the bonus is reduced if you spend time blocking or otherwise not attacking, and (c) offense has DR, so a constant low level is better than something spiky.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    I tested for about 10 minutes on my PA main, Warcan. Swapped out a gamblers for an r9 (r9 Coruscating Might = +552 Offense). Went from +4.6% Offensive bonus to +20% for the 20 seconds.

Tested it only on a regen dummy.

It never procced back to back. It does seem to have maybe a 5 to 10 sec internal cooldown. I was paying attention to the proccing, so not full, proper numbers on that. With 3 PA toggles running near constantly, it procced a good deal. So, maybe it is worth it on a PA who already has good other stats (crit chance, crit sev).

I didn't try it on anything else.​​

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Hmm maybe good for build that use stuff like Soul Beam or other maintains?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Hmm maybe good for build that use stuff like Soul Beam or other maintains?

Well the proc chance gets increased for charges, so it doesn't need frequent hits from one power. On my HW toon it was proccing pretty reliably with Annihilate.

So I was about to say "hey maybe it works good with builds that have a lot of dots?". But then I went and tested and spamming dummies with Condemn(poison) and Ego Sprites for five minutes didn't get the darn thing to proc a single time so despite what the tooltip says its not dealing damage but casting a damage power at a target that procs it​​
  • I think one thing to point out is that this mod does not drop off in incremental value at r8 and r9 like gamblers do.
  • scildtrumascildtruma Posts: 76 Arc User
    I use this on one of my Glaciers. Works great with Avalanche. Seems like a great match for maintains.
    My lvl 40 champs in random order.

=Pieces of Stuff=Knock Dead=Cruel Yule=Cremator=Toys from the Attic=
    =Gnosis Arcanum=Twenty Seven=Kama D=Critic=Creep Freeze=
    =Mangled Man=G.I. John Doe=2D.=Lung the punch drunk monk=
    =By the sword=Scild Truma=Shadow Puppet=Lu-7=Erysichthon=
    =Nimravid=Buzzard Kill=Lorenzini=Schema=

Thoughts on using this in a Healer/DPS hybrid build where your offense fuels your healing?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • scildtrumascildtruma Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Thoughts on using this in a Healer/DPS hybrid build where your offense fuels your healing?
    I used it for a while on my FF. My attempt at making a solo build. My build produces mad energy so I am attacking, buffing, or healing at any given moment (Mostly attacking). This makes my attack rate pretty fast. Any build that is throwing constant attacks will benefit from this Mod IMHO. Its playing probabilities. I hit with it 2 to 3 times in 2 minute drills. I replaced it on my FF in favor of a higher ranking Mod but I'm going to rank one up and put it back in.
    My lvl 40 champs in random order.

=Pieces of Stuff=Knock Dead=Cruel Yule=Cremator=Toys from the Attic=
    =Gnosis Arcanum=Twenty Seven=Kama D=Critic=Creep Freeze=
    =Mangled Man=G.I. John Doe=2D.=Lung the punch drunk monk=
    =By the sword=Scild Truma=Shadow Puppet=Lu-7=Erysichthon=
    =Nimravid=Buzzard Kill=Lorenzini=Schema=

Cool, the character i have in mind spends most of her non-healing time spamming incinerate.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters