test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Keep the tank or go nuts

jojenmaihemjojenmaihem Posts: 161 Arc User
This toon is reaching to 40 and need some advice.

Build URL

As to keep or improve as Tank or is better to reconvert to pure DPS or OT.

And equipment still BiS the Merc for Level 40?

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Randomly generated Purples with useful stats are better than Merc. Honestly you can get some decent gear from high level story missions too.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    As to keep or improve as Tank or is better to reconvert to pure DPS or OT.

Depends what you mean by "better". Better in regards to what? DPSing in endgame will be easier, as will OT/Soaktanking, so if easier is what you want you could go switch to those.
    And equipment still BiS the Merc for Level 40?

No, now it's Justice/Distinguished/Virtuous gear that's BiS. However Merc is good starting gear for when you hit 40.
  • jojenmaihemjojenmaihem Posts: 161 Arc User
    Randomly generated Purples with useful stats are better than Merc. Honestly you can get some decent gear from high level story missions too.

I leveled trough quest and the shi- mean "random" gear from the quest is the worst I have seen... only 2 secondary have been useful and they are fixed loot from quest.

And because that I removed all my quest at 34... sorry can't bear do things that give me more slow XP and no rewards.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by "better". Better in regards to what? DPSing in endgame will be easier, as will OT/Soaktanking, so if easier is what you want you could go switch to those.

Cosmics and QWZ are my objectives now (and nearly with every toon now, want to play the game better than only see it from afar so gonna start go srly.)

Don't care much about role, but always feel better with supporting roles (Tanking/Heal/Debuff-Buff/CC) that's why started this toon as Tank to do better Alerts runs.
    spinnytop wrote: »
    No, now it's Justice/Distinguished/Virtuous gear that's BiS. However Merc is good starting gear for when you hit 40.

Yeah sorry that's why I tried to mean... BiS for fresh leveled 40 toon.

• shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    I would do something like this

Swordman
    v2.4.2-29

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Master (Str: 8, Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10)
    Level 6: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 9: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 12: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 15: Martial Focus (Str: 5, Dex: 5)
    Level 18: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Hawk's Talons (advantages)
    Level 1: Form of the Tiger (advantages)
    Level 6: Steadfast
    Level 8: Defiance (advantages)
    Level 11: Scything Blade (Rank 2, Swallowtail Cut, Challenge!)
    Level 14: Dragon's Claws (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Telekinetic Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Masterful Dodge (advantages)
    Level 32: Cut Down (advantages)
    Level 35: Vorpal Blade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Imbue (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Swinging (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Upper Hand (2/3)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)​​
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 709 Arc User
    I leveled trough quest and the "random" gear from the quest is the worst I have seen... only 2 secondary have been useful and they are fixed loot from quest.

And because that I removed all my quest at 34... sorry can't bear do things that give me more slow XP and no rewards.

Well, that's a mistake - around level 34 is when some of the quest rewards start to get really good. Note the "some of the" in the previous sentence; you can't walk into Monster Island, pick up the first quest you find, and expect it to give you gear that'll be viable through level 40. On the other hand, if you actually clear out all of the first chunks of quests involving the manimals, going through Mal Zver, and facing down Hyenaswine in his cave? Yes, that'll give you something useful.

Worse than that, "slow XP" is also inaccurate; the fastest way to level is generally to run missions with as many XP buffs running as you can get. Do one grab, then complete missions until the buff is running low, then run another grab.

For other solo-friendly gear rewards, the Vibora Bay Apocalypse is great; you can start that by talking to Juryrig in Millenium City. (It requires level 34 to get started, but you've got that. It's also a bit slower for XP than staying with Monster Island or Lemuria; I like to go through it on all of my characters, but would probably skip it if not for the gear rewards.)
    Once you've unlocked VB, a good first step is to focus on the mission chain that starts with intercepting a poisonous fish truck; that one ends with a boss confrontation that, again, awards gear that's quite viable as level 40 starting gear. (On the other hand, one of the missions in the middle of that chain can be annoying if you haven't done it before; you have to fetch ingredients from assorted places in a room, while under a time limit, and if you don't know where to go for which ingredients - well, expect to fail that mission a few times the first time you get there. Do not, however, give up and leave the instance - VB still has several bugs where you can lock yourself out of missions that are only available inside the instance generated for a previous mission.)
    I leveled trough quest and the shi- mean "random" gear from the quest is the worst I have seen... only 2 secondary have been useful and they are fixed loot from quest.

Heh, the higher level the quest, the better the loot. Pretty simple really.
    Here's one I found to be useful:
    virtuoushandguardsofnecrull_by_marhawkman-dceysdw.png
    Necrull is actually a level 31 quest in Canada.

The stats of the base item are:
    +39 Ego
    +13 Def
    +44 Off
    +18% bonus healing

With one offense and one enhance slot.

for comparison, Merc Gloves of Healing give:
    +17 Defense
    +25% Bonus Healing

with 2 Enhance, and one Off slot.

The difference between the defense and bonus healing stats is what one would expect of the difference between a level 31 item and a level 40. the OTHER stats though? the Merc gloves are missing 2 stats compared to the quest reward. They have ONE more mod slot to halfway compensate.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    The difference between the defense and bonus healing stats is what one would expect of the difference between a level 31 item and a level 40. the OTHER stats though? the Merc gloves are missing 2 stats compared to the quest reward. They have ONE more mod slot to halfway compensate.

With Merc gear you don't need to rely in the RNG to get your stats, you put in them the stats you need without the need to pray rng-jesus every time you open box loot or do a mission.

RNG? no idea what you mean by that...
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited June 2018
    Some missions give you Cache Boxes (Secondary or Primary) and I took them when the rewards don't have the stats I using.

And they are totally random... until the day only have trash tier gear from them.

I started to doing Vibora Bay Crisis and see what happens but already have a set of Primary Mercs bought so....
    morigosa wrote: »
    Well, that's a mistake - around level 34 is when some of the quest rewards start to get really good. Note the "some of the" in the previous sentence; you can't walk into Monster Island, pick up the first quest you find, and expect it to give you gear that'll be viable through level 40. On the other hand, if you actually clear out all of the first chunks of quests involving the manimals, going through Mal Zver, and facing down Hyenaswine in his cave? Yes, that'll give you something useful.

Can't blame the player who gets bored of doing Waterboy errands and don't get any better rewards until level 36+

Build​​

Rotation is Ultimate as Alpha>DC>Lunge>DC>Scythe?

Can change Vorpal Blade for anything, because I don't have any ultimate from the Lockboxes (only have Crash Incantation) and don't see in the foreseeable future to get any of them.

Post edited by jojenmaihem on
    Some missions give you Cache Boxes (Secondary or Primary) and I took them when the rewards don't have the stats I using.

And they are totally random... until the day only have trash tier gear from them.

I started to doing Vibora Bay Crisis and see what happens but already have a set of Primary Mercs bought so....
    Hah! those things... yeah, junk. Which is why I never get them, even if I don't like the unique rewards.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Totally... and I think I fugged up the Mercs too, but oh well, next time maybe at least can say I have mercs and had playing this game from the moment it go f2p to many years ago.
    As an example of a high-level(Vibora apocalypse) story reward item, Devastating Handguards of the Apocolypse.

+49con, +16 def, +54 off, +3.7 CritSev, one offense, one enhance slot.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters