test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Solar Blade - TK/Celestial/Darkness - Build Help Request

bladedragon80bladedragon80 Posts: 146 Arc User
edited June 2018 in Builds and Roles
Hi. So, I am working to adapt something to the Champions Online and wanted to get some opinions on the build I have. Mostly because it's level 25 now and I am unsure how/where to go from here.

The concept in question comes from a tabletop RPG. The general gist of the concept uses an energy weapon, projects flames that are star based (point blank AoE explosions, flaming charges, etc.) and has gravity powers (mostly pulls or wall running/self-rooting stunts) for abilities. In any case, here's the current build I'm working with.

Solar Blade - Freeform

Link to this build: http://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=29&n=Solar Blade&d=16530GVgfOhj171000F104F227FF089A03L305FG00KA00K800FP00LL0400000000000000000a610E2i0000
v2.4.2-29

Super Stats
Level 6: Presence (Primary)
Level 10: Ego (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
Level 1: The Hero (Str: 8, Dex: 8, Con: 8, Int: 8, Ego: 8, Pre: 8, Rec: 6, End: 6)
Level 6: Showmanship (Ego: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 9: Command Training (Int: 3, Ego: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 3)
Level 12: Sniper Training (Dex: 3, Ego: 3, Pre: 3, End: 3)
Level 15: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
Level 18: Survival Training (Dex: 3, Con: 3, Pre: 3, Rec: 2, End: 2)
Level 21: Jack of All Trades (Str: 2, Dex: 2, Con: 2, Int: 2, Ego: 2, Pre: 2, Rec: 2, End: 2)

Powers
Level 1: Ego Blade (Leeching Strikes)
Level 1: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Challenge!)
Level 6: Ego Blade Dash (Nailed to the Ground)
Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Voracious Darkness)
Level 14: Telekinetic Reverberation
Level 17: Expulse (advantages)
Level 20: Compassion (advantages)
Level 23: Ego Blade Annihilation (advantages)
Level 26: Dark Tether (Work Up)
Level 29:
Level 32:
Level 35:
Level 38:
Adv. Points: 19/36

Travel Powers
Level 6: Prism Speed (Rank 2)
Level 35:

Specializations
Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
Sentinel: Rejuvenated (3/3)

Thanks to a suggestion from a friend I went with TK, Celestial, and Darkness for it. It almost seems like it's missing something, however, and I was hoping to get some input. At some point due to the original version of the character I'm adapting I plan on taking Richochet Throw or Shuriken Throw. Not sure which yet. It's mostly just concept a bit there. It was the orignal's back up weapon.

Hope to get some help/advice/ideas from other players on this.

EDIT: Updated build to show progress so far.
Post edited by bladedragon80 on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,814 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Do you intend to make this a group tank? And if so, for what content? Making it Pres-based w/o being a Support isn't really ideal, either way.

Anyways, here's some tweaking of it as a dps unit:

https://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=29&n=Solar Blade&d=12730iGPKQLa170000F100F209FB00FA03FG00F50HK503FP05L305ON01FF00KA0HLL042Q000n2E3SWh11KW

Super Stats
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 6: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Impresario (Dex: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Ego Blade (advantages)
    Level 1: Ego Weaponry (Rank 2, Stressed Out)
    Level 6: Mental Discipline (advantages)
    Level 8: Id Mastery (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Telekinetic Reverberation
    Level 14: Ego Blade Frenzy (Rank 2, Mental Block)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Ego Blade Annihilation (Rank 2, Mental Acuity)
    Level 23: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Voracious Darkness)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Ego Blade Dash (advantages)
    Level 32: Expulse (Rank 2, Daybreaker)
    Level 35: Dark Tether (Work Up)
    Level 38: Fiery Embrace (advantages)
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Prism Speed (advantages)
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (2/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Brawler: The Glory of Battle (1/3)
    Brawler: Penetrating Strikes (2/2)
    Brawler: Ruthless (2/2)
    Brawler: Setup (2/2)
    Brawler: Flanking (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

I threw Dark Tether in there to have a Darkness attack, but also cause it can provide some nice utility (HoT adv, knock-to), and cause it could fill the role of a backup thrown weapon. The build mostly plays like a normal TK Blade build, but has a few thematic extra powers to help out. Main boss rotation is alternating between Ego Weaponry and charged TKA. Gears mostly for Dex, w/ some Con and Rec.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • bladedragon80bladedragon80 Posts: 146 Arc User
    I think I was aiming at more of an "all arounder" type of guy. Plus, I like that I'm taking some of the pain off of the healer if I do choose to tank or can play as an off tank. Mainly I'm aiming towards a multi-function as I like to try to fill whatever role is needed here.

That said, I do like the Dark Tether and was considering that as my next power. The "pull" bit is definitely something that I was going to use. Possibly Ego Hold/Ego Choke as well.

Ego Blade Frenzy I'm not a big fan of, though. I'd love to hear alternatives on that one.

Is Stressed Out a pretty good debuff for all around, or just TK Blades?
    edited June 2018
    In this case, 'all-rounder' isn't best facilitated by a passive like Defiance, imo. Typically something like AoPM + Hybrid role would be for that (or just use a Hybrid + R3 Invuln build- less dps, but more passive defense), but you won't want to take that aura to groups where Support is already doing the same, as it can disrupt their stronger version (and AoPM is quite popular). If you wanted to be able to spot-heal allies, you could take something like Arcane Vit or Iniquity- and/or get an ally res. You do have to free up power slots if you want those sort of things, though.

Also would prob just take Challenge on a situational attack (if on anything) if you only plan on conditionally off-tanking, as otherwise you're just drawing unnecessary threat over a main tank (and you could use those adv points elsewhere). I also prob wouldn't take a single-target charged hold, as they can break to inc dmg pretty easily.

EB Frenzy is a good pbAoE for TK Blades, and it can also have a nice dmg shield adv for turtling up in AoE. TK blades itself doesn't have many other options for AoE. TK Burst is another option if staying in TK, but its ranged and likely to be less dps here.

Stress is a good debuff for any build that uses all or mostly Ego-typed dmg (so, basically any TK or TP main build).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    I am going to disagree as I know at least a few who are multi-roles and can work within such builds. I will admit after trying Invulnerability that it works a lot better. I think it is because Defiance took a bit to charge up to being full use.

The Dark Tether is definitely a new favorite. I will have to get used to it definitely. It looks cool, is interesting, and has that advantage like you said. I took it at 26 on the current build I'm working with.

Also, Stressed Out really helped a lot there. As did taking challenges off a lot. I'm going to be waiting a level or two before I can retake Daybreaker, however. (Invulnerability eats up those rank points!)

The rest is pretty open so far, all things considered. I'm still not too keen on Ego Blade Frenzy, as I said, but will consider at least looking at it here.
    edited June 2018
    I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with. Obv you can play a hybrid-like playstyle that's more versatile in CO, but that still takes a pretty well-tailored build. Ofc, it also somewhat depends on the content being run.

The problem w/ other AoEs is that if they are from other powersets then they may not work w/ your current form/toggle and/or energy unlock, which would make them less efficient to use (Expulse already has that issue w/ TK's, for ex., but its a cd power so its not a huge deal). Do you want weapons to also be in that AoE, or just more magic-based?

Again, you can try TK Burst and see if it fits well, and otherwise maybe just rely on Ego Weaponry's frontal cone for cleaves if the situation arises and the enemies are positioned well enough.
    I may have misunderstood, but you mentioned not taking the aura to groups. I assumed you meant the Sentinel Aura that procs the Compassion (a small heal bit to keep that going since the original build is PRE heavy) there which I was disagreeing on.

In any case, if I remember right TK Burst looks like a bunch of sword bursts or the like? So far, with the melee emphasis I've found myself doing with the character it might or might not work. I'll see about it trying it when I reach the next level there for powers.

Now that you mentioned cooldowns, I admit to some curiousity on if Molecular Self-Assembly would work better for my energy unlock. Telekinetic Reverberation does work, but I'm noticing that I don't get the Ego Leech close to every turn. A bit slow build up there, but it works wonders once I get it running mostly.

The energy unlock looks to be the most pressing issue for me rather than future powers at the moment, which is a bit concerning on my end.
    The issue w/ MSA is that you need to keep using short cds to keep it rolling. It can work, but it takes a bit of a diff type of upkeep and playstyle. It also scales mostly w/ Int, so you'd prob have to change SS's.

When I talked about auras, I meant slotted passive auras like AoPM, not spec-related ones. Spec choices just depends on ur priorities. Guard/Wardicator are popular cause they give you large amounts of offense and defense to work with, and decent extra crit bonuses, which are good near-universally. You can pick other things, but it depends on ur goals as you'll gain some things and lose some others.