test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Folv's Hero and Costume Designs

folv#5303 folv Posts: 96 Arc User
edited May 2018 in Costumes and Concepts
Hey all. I've decided to start compiling, organizing, and posting my screen shots for both my own use and hopefully for the entertainment and inspiration of others. I use to play city of heroes, but young Folv unfortunately left little for me to help reminisce in terms of screen shots and what have you. All I have are vague memories of the costumes I created. This time around, I'd like to have something to remember the fun I had with Champions when all is said and done.

My first major inclusions to this thread will be in the form of a team; starting with my mock-DC creations (which is what I shot for when first joining Champions Online). I enjoy the creation of characters that are loosely based on their counterparts likely due to my fascination with the "Freedom Force" franchise from my earlier gaming years. They handled that approach very well.

Invoker

YJmp6Xz.jpg

qWhqNLf.png

I've always been a sucker for mage-type classes in any MMORPG i've ever played. I am also a pretty big fan of old-school Dr. Strange and Dr. Fate. This character draws from quite a few sources relating both to super heroes and other wizard-type inspirations.

Norh, Lord of Cinder

LR4VC03.jpg

9yZKpVm.png

"Norh" is obviously a play on the word "Norse" in reference to the Norse Mythology where Thor (the inspiration) originates. The god of thunder has always been one of my favorite super heroes ever since the 90's, and is in fact the only icon that I have any memorabilia for. So it shouldn't be to hard to see why I made an homage to his persona. The two-handed weapon set features moves that include fire damage, so I decided to shift the element in that direction for this build to create both contrast between the inspiration and ease of building the character.

Ronin

Sy1FOsH.jpg

pVDlFZV.png

This was my attempt at a typical samurai-esque archetype. I went with the way-to-many-weapons theme in my head before I started and made it a point to cram as many blades as I could on his person. Needless to say, you can display a lot of blades..

The Ancient

JcDB4rd.jpg

Uq3BlZ3.png

The Ancient was really just my excuse to use the Arcane Tattoos. I wanted to make a mystic being that emanated power, displayed through those glowing marks. As I got further into creating him, I decided to go more of the "peaceful solemn" approach to the character. The mixture between the falling pedals and leaf auras really does a lot to develop the atmosphere I was shooting for.

Mayaman

rzkl5bt.jpg

RgjXJeW.png

Architech and The Incredible Bomb

3BPMT1G.png?2

Architech

b0ln3bb.jpg

NZMapAM.png

I was going for somewhat of a Dr. Doom look at first... but then it ended up with a bit more of a Mysterio vibe... (okay, a lot more). I'm happy with the way it turned out, but the similarities are undeniable. Architech is a gadgeteer as opposed to a magician, though. But if I am being honest with myself Mysterio is a bit of a techy himself with his illusion inventions meant to mimic magic.

The Incredible Bomb

grLZaJR.jpg

Z57AqQ1.png

The Incredible Bomb idea happened when I was cycling through color schemes for Architech. At one point, I cycled through black and at the time had the single antenna sticking upwards out of his helmet. It struck me as funny because it looked like he had a bomb-shaped head, but then I realized that I had something there! The Incredible Bomb is one of Architechs gadgeteering inventions and consequently is his sidekick.
Post edited by folv#5303 on

Comments

• folv#5303 folv Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Captain Capitalism

pXrzVVF.jpg

kPAVCxR.png

Captain Capitalism is an homage to my unapologetic love for the good ol' red, white, and blue draped heroes. Whether it be Captain America from Marvel sporting his national colors or Minute Man from that great 2002 RPG super hero title, I can't get enough of it. My main toon back on city of heroes was named "American Legacy" and sported a similar design. This time around, I went with the old cold-war sentiment of some of these tunes in the war against "the Reds". Cap-Cap is a mix between essentially all of the American super-hero icons. He possesses the powers of superman, the patriotic fervor of Captain America, inspiration from my city of heroes American Legacy toon, and the tongue-and-cheek old war sentiments of Minute Man.

known nemesis:
    • Comrade Communism

quCthAl.png

Falcman

gn27Csw.jpg

8ykO5XP.png

and Finch

HOeuJEW.jpg

Both of these characters speak for themselves in terms of inspiration. I wanted to work with the bird theme for both characters to make use of all those cool bird people costume pieces. The "dark knight" concept has always been one of my favorite hero sub-sets. Whether it be the caped crusader himself or a crazy dude with shattered personas and affiliation for the moon, this sort of archetype has always been fun to play around with. It also gave me an excuse to dive into some pretty fun stealth builds.

Extra Terrestrian

p6nLL84.jpg

It's hard not to have fun when messing around with creating alien types with such great influences. Martian Manhunter (DC) and Mentor (Freedom Force) to name the primary's (some argue Vision and Super Skrull are good comparisons as well). I didn't stray to far from the source material here. I really like the way he came together in the end and didn't feel the need to force some type of innovation. (Interesting sidenote: I changed his skin color entirely by accident while messing around with some outfit color blends. I really wanted him to be a dark'ish blue hue but was impressed at how well my color choices worked over the orange).

Kraken

f0InQDl.jpg

Any time I hear any defense given for Aquaman it's almost inevitable that someone brings up the idea that he is theoretically able to summon Cthulu/Kraken. Oh yah? well I'll do you one better. He IS the Cthulu-Kraken. Check mate, dude.

The Beacon

rz2QM5w.jpg

There really is only one super hero with the ability to produce energy manifestations of imagination weaponry. Thankfully, this game's telepathic powers suit this theme perfectly by granting powers that produce weapons out of nothing but energy. Floating swords, lances, crystal shards, etc.

Fletcher

exYaODl.jpg

Sonic Boom

CguTNlV.jpg

Look... Sonic Boom use to be a pilot turned speedster; his outfit was silver, like a jet (which are known to produce sonic booms when breaching the sound barrier). But then I got several critiques and caved into the pressure to turn him into a wannabe flash against my better judgement. That being said, I do think his overall design is good enough. But I think I will be taking this one back to the drawing board at some stage. For now, he exists as a placeholder for a more unique speedster design in the future.

The Vigilantes

yoRIfD5.png?1
    Post edited by folv#5303 on
    reserved
    reserved
  • Hello fellow displaced City of Heroes veteran, I too hail from Paragon City. Unfortunately none of my heroes made it to Millennium.

You've done an excellent job fleshing out the identities and backstories of your heroes. Something I miss about CoX is how detailed bios used to be and that they were even a category when it came to costume contests. I've spotted one or two of your characters in alerts before and it's great to see that you're active here on the forum.

It's also nice to see character-specific nemesis concepts included in these threads, I feel that's one aspect of galleries that don't receive enough attention. I personally have more concept nemesis villains than heroes, even though I prefer being a hero to playing redside.

The outfits for Falcman and Fletcher are good, however my only quibble would be that there's too much black as their primary color. I have lots of costumes I really like but always get stumped when it comes to choosing which color combo to apply and where.

Looking forward to seeing future entries here from you. B)
    Hello fellow displaced City of Heroes veteran, I too hail from Paragon City. Unfortunately none of my heroes made it to Millennium.

You've done an excellent job fleshing out the identities and backstories of your heroes. Something I miss about CoX is how detailed bios used to be and that they were even a category when it came to costume contests. I've spotted one or two of your characters in alerts before and it's great to see that you're active here on the forum.

It's also nice to see character-specific nemesis concepts included in these threads, I feel that's one aspect of galleries that don't receive enough attention. I personally have more concept nemesis villains than heroes, even though I prefer being a hero to playing redside.

The outfits for Falcman and Fletcher are good, however my only quibble would be that there's too much black as their primary color. I have lots of costumes I really like but always get stumped when it comes to choosing which color combo to apply and where.

Looking forward to seeing future entries here from you. B)

Thanks for the input Jeb! I'll definitely consider taking Falcman back to the drawing board. Believe it or not, I actually reduced the overall black color of his suit (hard to believe, I know) and added grays to his undermesh layers. But I agree that it couldn't hurt to further tweak it to try and get it even less saturated with those deep blacks.

I am glad you mentioned the interest in the Nemesis portion of Captain Cap's bio. I definitely plan to continue the inclusion of nemesis for each toon as time goes on! I agree that it helps to flesh out and add depth to the individual characters. I also do hope to create deeper bio's for each hero as well, but that's the absolute last thing i'll be worrying about I'm guessing.
    edited May 2018
    A few more additions:

Dao Fist

TzVdCVy.jpg

eLTWG9G.png

Uni Knight

gyjwudy.jpg

bcwApcB.png
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Keep 'em coming mate :+1: I really like your Martian Manhunter analogue.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    Keep 'em coming mate :+1: I really like your Martian Manhunter analogue.

Will do. Thanks!
  • rfd123rfd123 Posts: 10 Arc User
    > @"folv#5303" said:
    >
    > This was my attempt at a typical samurai-esque archetype. I went with the way-to-many-weapons theme in my head before I started and made it a point to cram as many blades as I could on his person. Needless to say, you can display a lot of blades..
    >

How did you get that effect?
    rfd123 wrote: »
    > @folv#5303 said:
    >
    > This was my attempt at a typical samurai-esque archetype. I went with the way-to-many-weapons theme in my head before I started and made it a point to cram as many blades as I could on his person. Needless to say, you can display a lot of blades..
    >

How did you get that effect?

The weapons on the back? It must've been a monthly costume item I am assuming. If you mean all the other weapons, I used the leg attachment katanas, as well as the hip attachment that has the dagger nestled inside of a waist-wrap. If you want more specifics, I can always hop on and get you the exact names of the individual pieces.
  • rfd123rfd123 Posts: 10 Arc User
    > @"folv#5303" said:
    > The weapons on the back? It must've been a monthly costume item I am assuming. If you mean all the other weapons, I used >the leg attachment katanas, as well as the hip attachment that has the dagger nestled inside of a waist-wrap. If you want more >specifics, I can always hop on and get you the exact names of the individual pieces.

The massive array of weapons on the back. Never seen that before (though I'm just coming off a years long layoff. :bleep_bloop:
    rfd123 wrote: »
    > @folv#5303 said:
    > The weapons on the back? It must've been a monthly costume item I am assuming. If you mean all the other weapons, I used >the leg attachment katanas, as well as the hip attachment that has the dagger nestled inside of a waist-wrap. If you want more >specifics, I can always hop on and get you the exact names of the individual pieces.

The massive array of weapons on the back. Never seen that before (though I'm just coming off a years long layoff. :bleep_bloop:

Just checked it out. It's called "Sword Pack" and it's in the back item slot.
    edited June 2020
    Ah, quarantine. Boredom has set in so I've started working on more costumes for the heck of it. I'll start with a couple updates I've made to older costumes. Below are some newer 2020 versions of Falcman, Finch, Nohr, and Invoker. I would have taken more "action" shots like I did with Falcman but the sky decided to turn purple this week...

Falcman

s7QJHTc.jpg

NUwsP6b.jpg

0TxfGL7.jpg

Finch

pdpqhJU.png

DWNpLBj.jpg

Nohr

mqx4yOL.jpg

Invoker

3DZRtcE.jpg

Some new heroes:

Spider Chan

kC4qxVG.png

pXG4a99.jpg

Countryman

RaZKClB.jpg

0YmEx2o.jpg

• dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    That Pic with Architech and The Incredible Bomb... The reflection in Bomb's helmet makes him look like he's got a large head with an afro, Shades like Bebop's from Ninja Turtles, and a big handle bar mustache. And now I wish we had a head option like that.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Spider-Chan is just awesome
  • speanozspeanoz Posts: 238 Arc User
    Spider-Chan is just awesome
    I was thinking exactly that! "Does whatever a Spider-Chan can...!" :P
  • ultronyte#7191 ultronyte Posts: 48 Arc User
    Dude, Spider Chan has to be my favorite so far. Your alternate version of Invoker is up there for me too.
    edited April 2021
    Just some new 2021 costumes, and a few minor updates to older ones.

New Heroes

Manifest Destiny
    H1uhY2d.jpg

Arachnerd
    ABD2BaR.jpg

American Eagle
    z36wmgA.jpg

Updated Costumes

Ronin (2018-2021)
    8DOwmWG.jpg

Invoker (2018-2021)
    HAU97vj.jpg