test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

OS drive swamped by .. nothing .

diggotdiggot Posts: 309 Arc User

Just noticed that my SSD has about 10% free space left out of 111GB, and when i started checking folders,
the largest was the win-folder with roughly 42GM, but even when combining all the folders, it still only adds up to about 60GB,
so for some reason, i can't find the remaining 40GB that is apparently taken up by something.

I don't run games on my OS disk, it is (or should be) only the OS and whatever pics/saves/screenshots from Steam.

Is there anyway to see exactly which programs are taking up what space?, like a defragger does?.
(yes i know NEVER to defragg an SSD).

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    I'd never heard that, so I just went online to check. In point of fact, defragging an SSD is not necessarily a bad thing. Given your situation, I'd say go ahead and run a defrag on that, and see if you recover the extra space. (Turns out that under older SSD protocols, space wasn't automatically reallocated when data was "erased", just rewritten as necessary. If you have one of those, your computer might be showing the not-currently-allocated space as full, even though it's technically available for use.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    blazer2001blazer2001 Posts: 109 Arc User
    I recently had a similar issue with my SSD, I had to download and install a software that would show which files and folders were using much disk space, the tool I used is this one: https://jam-software.com/treesize_free/

It's easy enough to use, I hope that helps you out.
    I'm the ruler of the fire power.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    Typically, un-TRIMmed SSD blocks don't show up as occupied space to the operating system. There's probably some TEMP or cache folders that have accumulated too much cruft, or something isn't properly cleaning its messes. Have you tried Disk Cleanup? 40GB sounds a bit bloated for a Windows folder, so if you run it, make sure you select "Clean up system files".

Windows 7+ and most modern SSDs should handle TRIM commands automatically. If you think it's still a problem, though, there's a PowerShell cmdlet that specifically runs the TRIM only:
    Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter C -ReTrim -Verbose

Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends