test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Most Helpful" Steam Comment help?

gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator
Hello all,

Perhaps a small favor for you steam users, if I may ask for a moment of your time?
To please Upvote this Steam comment as the most helpful to let players know it still is even today?
https://steamcommunity.com/id/GentleGiantVexx/recommended/9880
Really wanting it to be the very very FIRST review you see as the most helpful

I didn't think too much back then to review Champions Online or any game for the matter during my beginnings here, and now that quite a few things are into fruition and super heroes are on the up and rise in the media. Quite a few of us players are collaborating to make CO Pop out as a place to make your own super hero of course, especially since we do it better than the other Super hero MMORPGs out there. And with this steam comments commonly ranging from most helpful descending, I aim to keep the comment as honest, promotive, and joyous as possible with each and every edit I come across to add.
Post edited by gentlegiantvexx on

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    also downvote all those nerds making reviews calling it abandoned. lies shall not be tolerated!
  • Options
    And it's the first one you see~! Very much appreciated y'all!
    Keeping the review as the most helpful, even if it's a (perhaps poorly written) college essay haha.
  • Options
    *Upvotes too* Ahaha!
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Posts: 65 Arc User
    *Clears her throat* First I noticed the mention of "Absolutely not a cheap knock-off of City of Heroes and City of Villains." True, but Cryptic is the same company that made City of Heroes for NCSOFT to screw over. So yes, this is by default "City of Heroes" but not by name. So Bandit Xaviera can bite me!

"MARVEL FANS, LOOKING TO CREATE YOUR VERY OWN UNIQUE HERO, THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU!" Great line but they should have said "Comic fans" because Marvel and DC get lawsuit happy. Now that Marvel is own by Disney it just gets worse. They will not allow you to make clones of DC/Marvel and other IP because it causes legal issues. So I am happy to see "CREATE YOUR VERY OWN UNIQUE HERO" in that shout out. We love unique here.
    banner.png
    Raging Princess Blaze + Model 286 + Red Inferno + Burgundy Beetle
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    well, I'm seen people describe CO as being like CoH and CoV but better :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    If you sat them side by side, people would think CoX was a cheap knock off of CO.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

*Clears her throat* First I noticed the mention of "Absolutely not a cheap knock-off of City of Heroes and City of Villains." True, but Cryptic is the same company that made City of Heroes for NCSOFT to screw over. So yes, this is by default "City of Heroes" but not by name. So Bandit Xaviera can bite me!

"MARVEL FANS, LOOKING TO CREATE YOUR VERY OWN UNIQUE HERO, THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU!" Great line but they should have said "Comic fans" because Marvel and DC get lawsuit happy. Now that Marvel is own by Disney it just gets worse. They will not allow you to make clones of DC/Marvel and other IP because it causes legal issues. So I am happy to see "CREATE YOUR VERY OWN UNIQUE HERO" in that shout out. We love unique here.

*Dusts off chest fur, and fastens his invisible tie* Sure, while the glory days of those that love to wear the nostalgia glasses that is CoX, You've really gotta realize. . . CO's now the longest running super hero MMORPG for a reason. Even though there's a small community to the point you see quite a few of the same folk and think they're family, After looking at CoX's videos quite often to try and see it's value after it's closing, I can absolutely say... CO's got way more potential, and then some, especially with it's action combat and nearly unmatched character creation. So despite NCSoft "screwing over" Cryptic, kinda gotta give PWE/Arc Props for saving Cryptic truly. Else, you'd not really have a forum to exude such feelings in. So about that "Cheap knock off of CoX" or "This is by default "City of Heroes".", look at how Alive and fine one of these games are t'day~, Aye?

And absolutely, "Comic fans" seems so specific to a "decent" audience, I could up the ante to even a wider audience (Especially nowadays with non-comic readin' movie n' show watchers) and actually say "Hey Marvel/DC fans, we're not Marvel or D/C at all, but you can very much create your very own hero" instead if that makes it any better, because in no shape or form do I represent the company (Cryptic and/or PWE ) to be under legal matters, added that it's definitely stated in the game's ToS about clones n' such. Would that suffice in your eyes?
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    And absolutely, "Comic fans" seems so specific to a "decent" audience, I could up the ante to even a wider audience (Especially nowadays with non-comic readin' movie n' show watchers) and actually say "Hey Marvel/DC fans, we're not Marvel or D/C at all, but you can very much create your very own hero" instead if that makes it any better, because in no shape or form do I represent the company (Cryptic and/or PWE ) to be under legal matters, added that it's definitely stated in the game's ToS about clones n' such. Would that suffice in your eyes?

You don't have to change anything since you don't represent Cryptic or PWE.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Negative comments are valid. People in game say the same thing, it’s important to see both sides.

Is this game perfect, hardly. But what they excel at they knock out of the park.
  • Options
    What boggles my mind about all of Cryptic's PWE games is this; How did they take the same game engine and made it get cruddier along the way?
    RANT WARNING!
    Examples
    Champions Online - Features never carried over to the next 2 games: Nemesis Creator, Detailed Costume Designer, Auras, Flight in City, and Deep Sea Battles.
    Star Trek Online - New features never carried over to Neverwinter: Factions, and Away Team (multiple AI) and controls for them.

In Star Trek Online you can't jump in a shuttle and fly around on Earth. They limit you to a jetpack rental only on Risa and no where else. The only vehicles work in space and the flight between planets it dull. My son played STO and said, since they had the bridge available you should set course and be able to go about your business as they do on TV. Not fall asleep watching your ship travel through a void. There is nothing boring about jumping on your bike or car in MC and flying and shooting enemies.

In Neverwinter D&D you get 5 or more (pets/companions) but only 1 is summoned at any time, in old school D&D we called them retainers and the number of retainers was based on your charisma score... I must be a hated person. You cannot control them, they are working on their own and often run off to get more enemies to attack you. Neverwinter has armor enchantment effects (like auras) but look so horrible players don't want them. Recently in October of last year, we got offered "Flying Carpets" just one issue... they don't fly. Champions had real Flying Carpets for a very long time. Now we have left over dinosaurs from the failed Jurassic World MMO they planned. There are no factions to join. In short, they claim everyone is a hero and none are villains. This doesn't make for good RP or PvP. At least STO has the factions where you joined the Federation or the Klingon Defense Force.

I still actively play both Neverwinter and Champions, but the difference is so weird, they pulled out all the great features when it came time to make D&D. Champions is the better designed MMO and the only reason I don't play STO, I am not into science fiction. Fantasy and magic doesn't need to be explained. Now I understand they are hard at work making Magic the Gathering MMO for WoC. I wonder what they will remove from Neverwinter to make that one?
    banner.png
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    What boggles my mind about all of Cryptic's PWE games is this; How did they take the same game engine and made it get cruddier along the way?
    RANT WARNING!
    Examples
    Champions Online - Features never carried over to the next 2 games: Nemesis Creator, Detailed Costume Designer, Auras, Flight in City, and Deep Sea Battles.
    Star Trek Online - New features never carried over to Neverwinter: Factions, and Away Team (multiple AI) and controls for them.

In Star Trek Online you can't jump in a shuttle and fly around on Earth. They limit you to a jetpack rental only on Risa and no where else. The only vehicles work in space and the flight between planets it dull. My son played STO and said, since they had the bridge available you should set course and be able to go about your business as they do on TV. Not fall asleep watching your ship travel through a void. There is nothing boring about jumping on your bike or car in MC and flying and shooting enemies.

In Neverwinter D&D you get 5 or more (pets/companions) but only 1 is summoned at any time, in old school D&D we called them retainers and the number of retainers was based on your charisma score... I must be a hated person. You cannot control them, they are working on their own and often run off to get more enemies to attack you. Neverwinter has armor enchantment effects (like auras) but look so horrible players don't want them. Recently in October of last year, we got offered "Flying Carpets" just one issue... they don't fly. Champions had real Flying Carpets for a very long time. Now we have left over dinosaurs from the failed Jurassic World MMO they planned. There are no factions to join. In short, they claim everyone is a hero and none are villains. This doesn't make for good RP or PvP. At least STO has the factions where you joined the Federation or the Klingon Defense Force.

I still actively play both Neverwinter and Champions, but the difference is so weird, they pulled out all the great features when it came time to make D&D. Champions is the better designed MMO and the only reason I don't play STO, I am not into science fiction. Fantasy and magic doesn't need to be explained. Now I understand they are hard at work making Magic the Gathering MMO for WoC. I wonder what they will remove from Neverwinter to make that one?

Retainers, heh, in truth, the feat in older DnD called them Followers and Companions. Retainers, while cooler sounding, was a home rule for your group. Not saying it is wrong. Just needed to correct you on the official name. Also, the engine was actually upgraded between the games. Just that, despite being based on the engine CO uses, and being upgraded, the devs for those games decided to not use the features that you listed from the older games. I would LOVE if they made sidekicks more into a Away Team type feature, instead of the thing we got right now in CO. Unfortunately, STO and NWO are not fully under control by Cryptic on how they are developed. There is some say from the owners of the Star Trek IP and DnD IP. Hence why we do not get certain ships in STO. Hence why they have yet to add in all the classes that are missing and/or overhaul the existing classes (in NWO) to be more in line with their actual classes.

Also, due to how, while they updated the engine for STO and NWO, they did not upgrade the engine for CO (or STO when NWO came out) to match with the upgrades, thus, the features you listed from STO, would not be possible to implement into CO...not without a major Engine update. Last I heard, though this might be incorrect, they also updated the programming language used in STO and NWO from CO's engine.

The problem with the factions bit, is they never had any plans, nor ever will have any plans, for making CO heroes vs villians. So, that is a non-issue. There is also the money issue CO has that limits their ability to update the engine (which would be a huge time sink, and thus, a huge money sink). One could say, that the updating would make it so we would not get ANY new content for several months (including power set reviews). And, during that time, people would claim the game is dead (more so than normal).

Also, since you are obviously a DnD player (PnP wise), I need some ideas for spells and/or abilities for a path for a class I am making (based on 5th edition, hence path, instead of a new class). The path is called "The Gamer", it will be for a Mage class (that is highly versitile, and different than other spell casting classes). I have some ideas for powers and spells. But, I could always use more. If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

Also, agree with you on CO being the better MMO between it and NWO. Though, because I love Science Fiction as much as I love Fantasy, I do play STO. STO is still better than NWO in my opinion. Also, I need to test out the bridge thing for the ship again, last time I used it, it caused my ship to stop traveling in sector space, which is different than what your son said.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    kamokami wrote: »

You don't have to change anything since you don't represent Cryptic or PWE.

Right, however, I did like her idea. Saying "Marvel" alone was a bit too small, changed it to call for more audiences instead.
  • Options
    soulforger wrote: »
    Just needed to correct you on the official name. Also, the engine was actually upgraded between the games.
    You could have fooled me, at present Neverwinter doesn't work on most Windows 10 machines. I have to use an older back up PC with Window 7 installed. My new HP with Windows 10 won't play it. Yet Champions here plays on any machine in the house, well I haven't tried the microwave or toaster oven yet. ;)
    I would LOVE if they made sidekicks more into a Away Team type feature, instead of the thing we got right now in CO. Unfortunately, STO and NWO are not fully under control by Cryptic on how they are developed. There is some say from the owners of the Star Trek IP and DnD IP. Hence why we do not get certain ships in STO. Hence why they have yet to add in all the classes that are missing and/or overhaul the existing classes (in NWO) to be more in line with their actual classes.
    I am not in love with Star Trek but I doubt CBS controls the game mechanics. One look at that show ST:Discovery would prove to anyone they don't care much about the story either.
    Also, due to how, while they updated the engine for STO and NWO, they did not upgrade the engine for CO (or STO when NWO came out) to match with the upgrades, thus, the features you listed from STO, would not be possible to implement into CO...not without a major Engine update. Last I heard, though this might be incorrect, they also updated the programming language used in STO and NWO from CO's engine.
    Anything is possible, just the money is not being directed to the proper areas. Developer Thomas Foss stated in a video interview that Cryptic doesn't give him a budget for developing the Foundry. I don't expect him and his team to work on it for free.
    The problem with the factions bit, is they never had any plans, nor ever will have any plans, for making CO heroes vs villians. So, that is a non-issue.
    I agree, but I was saying they dropped it for NW and that made no sense at all.
    Also, since you are obviously a DnD player (PnP wise), I need some ideas for spells and/or abilities for a path for a class I am making (based on 5th edition, hence path, instead of a new class). The path is called "The Gamer", it will be for a Mage class (that is highly versitile, and different than other spell casting classes). I have some ideas for powers and spells. But, I could always use more. If you have any ideas, I'm all ears.

Also, agree with you on CO being the better MMO between it and NWO. Though, because I love Science Fiction as much as I love Fantasy, I do play STO. STO is still better than NWO in my opinion. Also, I need to test out the bridge thing for the ship again, last time I used it, it caused my ship to stop traveling in sector space, which is different than what your son said.

I will get with you on "The Gamer" in your private so I don't jack this thread further than I already have. LOL

banner.png
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    You could have fooled me, at present Neverwinter doesn't work on most Windows 10 machines. I have to use an older back up PC with Window 7 installed. My new HP with Windows 10 won't play it. Yet Champions here plays on any machine in the house, well I haven't tried the microwave or toaster oven yet. ;)

That is odd, it works fine on my windows 10 computer. I wonder what makes it not run on others? Are they perhaps running older hardware that is not fully compatible with windows 10 and thus makes it impossible to play NWO?

I am not in love with Star Trek but I doubt CBS controls the game mechanics. One look at that show ST:Discovery would prove to anyone they don't care much about the story either.

Well, you'd be suprised at how much control they actually do have, though, I doubt it is anything like full control. They do have a say in things though. And sadly, I have no interest ins Discovery, Star Trek lost my interest with Enterprise.
    Anything is possible, just the money is not being directed to the proper areas. Developer Thomas Foss stated in a video interview that Cryptic doesn't give him a budget for developing the Foundry. I don't expect him and his team to work on it for free.

Exactly a point I was making.
    I agree, but I was saying they dropped it for NW and that made no sense at all.

Agreed, but, at the same time, the problem lies more with the fact that the players are playing "heroes" in NWO, and NWO is based (losely) on 4th edition, so, there wasn't the factions that 5th edition has. In short, they would have to really think and dive deep to find something for players to do along the lines of factions in NWO. CO would have it easier, Heroes vs Villians. Just like STO has it clear, a war between Star Fleet and Klingons. In NWO, they have way to many groups for the various story lines to make it as such, thus, it would be more work than might be neccessary.

I will get with you on "The Gamer" in your private so I don't jack this thread further than I already have. LOL

If you come up with something, just PM me here. :)