test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Animal Mounts?

catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
Im not sure if this has been asked before; but would the game's engine support animated animal mounts?

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    It'd probably end up as a TP replacer.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    Or a vehicle. That griffon actually looks like it might be viable for the weapon system if they are attachment points to an armor.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    We already have bike type vehicles -- seems likely that turning those into mounts is a problem for modeling and animation, not actual new code. It might be a lot of work, though.
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    As for vehicles it would have to be flying only type creatures I think.(for the same reason the devs have said we can't have ground vehicles.) The running ones though... yeah TPs maybe, didn't we just get a TP somewhat recently that turns you into a ghost wolf or something?(obviously I never got it x.x)

• vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Yes please!
    beezeeze said:

As for vehicles it would have to be flying only type creatures I think.(for the same reason the devs have said we can't have ground vehicles.) The running ones though... yeah TPs maybe, didn't we just get a TP somewhat recently that turns you into a ghost wolf or something?(obviously I never got it x.x)

There is, but it has the normal quadruped glitch -- the game does not have the ability to shift your stance to match the surface you're on, with the exception of the traffic which uses prescripted paths.
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User

beezeeze said:

There is, but it has the normal quadruped glitch -- the game does not have the ability to shift your stance to match the surface you're on, with the exception of the traffic which uses prescripted paths.
    So it basically just plays the scurry animation like on the Veractle in SWTOR?

Courage is doing what is right even when it isn't popular or safe. Honor is retaining the dignity and virtue in one's self, so it can light the way for others in the darkest of times. Compassion is showing patience and mercy towards others, even when it isn't returned or deserved. A hero is defined by these 3 words, they set him apart from others as a beacon of hope and excellence.

So it basically just plays the scurry animation like on the Veractle in SWTOR?

Don't know what that is, sorry. Basically, a critter on a slope will still have all four of its legs at the same height, so the uphill legs will clip with the slope and the downhill legs will be in midair. This is true even for bipeds but is usually less obvious.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    This isn't a glitch, it's just how the game was made. Character models are coded so that they are always standing straight up (with respect to the sky), even when on a sloped surface. The bigger the character (especially a quadruped), the more noticeable it is.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • shadowolf505shadowolf505 Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    || Main Tank || DPSer || Healer || CCer || Altoholic || @shadowolf505 in game ||
  • vonqballvonqball Posts: 923 Arc User
    Yeah, I don't see the "quadruped on a slope" thing as a huge deal. I already live with dogs walking in mid-air and mafia thugs stuck in walls. Giving a quadruped a resting pose, where it sits back on its haunches, would be one way to minimize the issue.
  • guest4286guest4286 Posts: 3 Arc User

beezeeze said:

Ooze tunnelling travel powers do tilt according to the ground, so it has to be some shape of possible, but they just stated that they wouldn't do it. Probably not worth tinkering with the code for an uncertain outcome, as opposed to churning out more flying ones.

spinnytop said:

Do we have animated vehicles?

Exocets spin and stuff.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited April 2018

Exocets spin and stuff.

Hm, wonder if that translates into flappy wings being possible.
    Post edited by spinnytop on
    at one point winged characters would have their wings flap when riding bikes.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User

ya but that's not the vehicle. I sure don't plan to hold my griffon up with my own wings!
  • catstarstocatstarsto Posts: 1,129 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

ya but that's not the vehicle. I sure don't plan to hold my griffon up with my own wings!
    Sometimes they get tired ^_^

• guest4286guest4286 Posts: 3 Arc User
    Vehicles (at least hover bikes) are essentially costume pieces, we have proof of that. When you turn on your vehicle, you character equips the costume piece (located somewhere around the crotch) and is forced into the riding stance. So a griffon mount could likely have its own skeleton parts and flap its wings, just like the wings or tail costume piece do.