test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Vaporware finally coalescing?

roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
Both Ship of Heroes and City of Titans are seemingly moving towards a beta release date:

Ship of Heroes

City of Titans

Can't find anything very concrete about Valiance Online, just more of their alpha phase.

I'm surprised, even pleasantly so. That being said, there's no guarantee that either SoH or CoT will be polished enough for me to leave Champs, but I will likely try them out.

Thoughts? Additional news?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.

Comments

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User

Both Ship of Heroes and City of Titans are seemingly moving towards a beta release date:

Ship of Heroes

City of Titans

Can't find anything very concrete about Valiance Online, just more of their alpha phase.

I'm surprised, even pleasantly so. That being said, there's no guarantee that either SoH or CoT will be polished enough for me to leave Champs, but I will likely try them out.

Thoughts? Additional news?

So should be ready in early access in another 6 years.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    I misread the title as Vaporwave and I got really confused

there will be no other MMORPG after CO for me, so not interested ¯\_(ツ)_/¯​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    avianos said:

What gets me is that Ship of Heroes art looks like its ripping off CO.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    nepht said:

avianos said:

What gets me is that Ship of Heroes art looks like its ripping off CO.

It's spiritually creating a successor.
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    SoH wants to have an "open beta" for fifteen bucks a month???

Lots o' luck getting that "mass login test" you guys want - I don't know very many people willing to subscribe to a pig in a poke.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    jonsills said:

SoH wants to have an "open beta" for fifteen bucks a month???

Woof. Takes balls to so blatantly try to cash in on fanboys.
  • Options
    Both of them already have alpha modes, but yeah, charging money for a closed beta is a big ask.
    It comes with the promise (or lure) of "get exclusive stuff that you can keep when game goes live."

My big question remains, "MMOs need a good playerbase to work. How does a small game, without significant marketing or a big publisher, get that initial playerbase?"

Do they assume a big chunk of CoX folks will come back after all these years? Also, because two (or maybe three) of these MMOs will arrive at about the same time, won't they be splitting their target market?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

My big question remains, "MMOs need a good playerbase to work. How does a small game, without significant marketing or a big publisher, get that initial playerbase?"

Well you have a free open beta so players can come in and see what your game is about and build hype around it- oh OOPS!

I mean they are just really crippling themselves with the 15/month beta. Not only is it going to limit the number of players they get, but of the ones they do get if they join the beta and aren't impressed they're going to resent having to pay 15 bucks and will trash the game. Instead of building hype, they're building anti-hype!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    spinnytop said:

I mean they are just really crippling themselves with the 15/month beta. Not only is it going to limit the number of players they get, but of the ones they do get if they join the beta and aren't impressed they're going to resent having to pay 15 bucks and will trash the game. Instead of building hype, they're building anti-hype!

On the other hand, if the game is terrible and people are going to trash it anyway, at least they got a bit of money out of it.
  • Options
    Hence my belief that this is just one big way to scam desperate coh fanboys.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User

On the other hand, if the game is terrible and people are going to trash it anyway, at least they got a bit of money out of it.

What a goal! :p

I might give these games a try. But I'm not gonna hold my breath. If either of them plays like City of Heroes, then I already know I won't like it. There's a reason I dropped that game the minute I saw screenshots of Champs. Looked bad, played bad. All the content in the world doesn't make a boring game less boringer.

Charging a monthly fee, I can't see that as anything other than shooting themselves in the foot. Is it just for the beta that they're charging or will the price carry over to live?

One thing that these games can do to get my attention is stick pretty strongly to comics aesthetics. But seeing as there's tons of money to be made from anthro people, I'm guessing these games will probably favor those styles. If it looks like I'm walking around Disneyland with cutesy wolfvampiredemondragonangels then I'm out.

Speaking of which, can someone make a mod for Champs that replaces all the cutesy animal heads with a hairy butt? Thanks.

City of Titans better have wrestling centaurs though.

biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    spinnytop said:

Hence my belief that this is just one big way to scam desperate coh fanboys.

I don't think there is any active attempt to scam folks. Honestly, I hope one of these games succeeds.
    I'm not betting on it, though.

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

I don't think there is any active attempt to scam folks.

CoT and VO I think are just people being unrealistic about what they can accomplish. SoH seems... strange.