test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online is Now the Longest Running Superhero MMO!

2»

Comments

• jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    With our Nemeses, no less!
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Nemesis in space...space...space!

What next? Are you going to tell us we can drive around on the roads with our centaur Sidekick (that we customized ourselves) With our new water plant both staff power… Grenade launcher.

Right before we head to our foundry
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    Yay team, both the players and the devs.

Party time.
  • wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    Will we get something to celebrate that?
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,387 Arc User
    My favorite champions moment was during an On Alert City Hall mission against Kevin Poe. We were all complete strangers but three of us had decided to play giant growth toons (this was before the INT nerf). Kevin Poe ended up jumping into the corner, and then like the Hanson brothers in the movie Slap Shot, we completely surrounded him and punched and kicked him in the corner till he dropped. I've had other fun moments, but given that that was completely random, and it was funny as hell, I have to place that as my favorite CO moment.
  • esonverconradeesonverconrade Posts: 9 Arc User
    Wait, does that mean you guys can remove the region ban?
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User

Wait, does that mean you guys can remove the region ban?

Sick burrrrnnnn
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • screwthisprocessscrewthisprocess Posts: 186 Arc User
    When I didn't make it past the character creation in DCUO, because CO is on another level. I just said, screw this process, and started back playing CO. This is how I knew this game was good. It turned me away from Batman and Superman.

• opalflameopalflame Posts: 207 Arc User
    Congratulations Champions Online! It's hard to choose a favorite memory when there have been so many good ones. I've probably had more good memories here than I've had in any other MMO, and I hope to have even more in the future. Keep being awesome, CO!
    Ink@Opalsky in game
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    I that means Gadgeteering is getting a rework soon!

Glad to still see this game stand and my own shoutout to @flowcyto, he dis best build master eva
    Psi.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    I appreciate what CO had to offer in ways of allowing me to express my Dragon Family with accurate representations and associated power/skills, applying them to a gaming medium like we are visiting Champions Online Universe, kinda wish I could flourish more so despite the variables that have and continue to plague me.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • numaman1990numaman1990 Posts: 205 Arc User
    In honor of Champions becoming the longest rating superhero mmo in history.
    Here is a gift for the developers from me to you!
  • What other superhero MMOs has CO outlived to this day?
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    Champions Online outlived Atari.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User

What other superhero MMOs has CO outlived to this day?

All of them....
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • littleones0709littleones0709 Posts: 1 New User
    I had played the role-playing version of Champions a few times decades ago and still remember learning that it had been made into an MMO. For various reasons I won't get into here, I didn't join CO until the summer of 2015.

My early favorite moments revolved around my first character I created a Soldier AT on a Silver account when I first started and quickly realizing I could relax and enjoy the game on my own pace and still do quite well in PVE. I got her to 40 and farmed UNITY missions for Silver Recognition to buy Heroic gear.

Favorite single moment? Making the move to LTS during the sale in early 2017. I was a happy Silver player for 1.5 years, but a single free FF slot sparked my curiosity. Now I have over a dozen heroes with a great variety of powers and costumes.

My favorite general feeling? I love the relaxed nature of the game. Sure, the push for better gear and battling cosmics is fun, but it's also wonderful that the overwhelming majority of content is completely accessible to everyone. I play solo, on teams, and with my kids. It is always enjoyable.

My top requests? First, an alternative starting point would be great for those of us with many alts. Second, I'd love to have a plant-based powerset even if it means just artistically reskinned versions of existing powers.

Long live CO! Thank you to everyone!

All of them....
    :#
    Well, CoX at least. Then again, the number of superhero MMOs that ever existed can be counted on one hand.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User

City of Heroes (previous record holder), DC Universe Online (still exists but started later), Marvel Heroes and Marvel Super Hero Squad Online (both from Gazillion, both dead).

City of Heroes (previous record holder), DC Universe Online (still exists but started later), Marvel Heroes and Marvel Super Hero Squad Online (both from Gazillion, both dead).
    Both Marvel games do not let you make your own hero, only letting you make your dream team or let you choose which hero you'll play.
  • screwthisprocessscrewthisprocess Posts: 186 Arc User
    You can say DCUO did not let you make your own heroes because you were clones of theirs. I hated that.

I hope we get a exp event so I can speed through some alts. The best leveling event from my experience was not the double exp events nor the double alert events but the Halloween train events. Something like that would be nice.
  • What other superhero MMOs has CO outlived to this day?

So only three?

So only three?

Four, there were two separate games from Gazillion, but yes, the superhero MMO space doesn't have an awful lot of entrants.
  • magpieuk2014magpieuk2014 Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    So only three?

Four. CO was originally a Marvel game which they cancelled... it's been very much the runt of the litter from the outset. Quite likely that no MMO can meet the financial expectations of Marvel, DC, et al and it's much better left to smaller outfits. Niche but fabulous, that's us.

So only three?

Four. CO was originally a Marvel game which they cancelled...

If you're counting never-published games there are probably a bunch more.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    My favorite moment was first booting up into the alpha. It will have been 10 years in September.

Second favorite moment was the day I saw the ability to call contacts to pick up and turn in missions made it into the game.

Previously it was a bug I had discovered and then painstakingly tracked down reproduction steps on. I sent a detailed in-game email to Poz about it, showed him how to do it, and pleaded passionately that in a modern world of cell phones, it needed to stay rather than be removed.

Fortunately, he agreed, and while the bug was removed quickly about a month later the menu was added after Cryptic added new UI for it, and did a pass to remove contacts from the list that it woudn't make sense to be able to call.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Also, since we're only counting MMOs.... Well, there's not a whole lot of games that were actual full fledged MMOs that ever actually got started.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    Came by to offer my congrats! I wish I could come back and play, but my computer busted and I need a new one. :P

Anywho~

My favorite moment was the day I created my first hero, Lupine Fist. He started as the protege of my CoX hero, Power Wolf, and became a succesful hero in his own right. Now he leads his own Supergroup, The Beast Squad, and runs the Power's Hotel chain (which he inherited from his late mentor). ...Man, I miss this game. T_T
    Champions: @ace112233
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Grats and stay awesome. Here's a pirate fish. fish-6.gif

Steam has me at over 8,700 hours. I don't think I can pull a favorite moment out of all that.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • gentlegiantvexxgentlegiantvexx Posts: 321 Community Moderator

In honor of Champions becoming the longest rating superhero mmo in history.

DELETE THIS!!!
  • In honor of Champions becoming the longest rating superhero mmo in history.

DELETE THIS!!!

*saves embarrassing puporc picture*​​
    #LegalizeAwoo
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    beezeeze said:

I like the fact that it is totally "not" thundrax right up there in the first infographic.(it is not him because no maple leaf see?)Also fighting a mega destroid on the great wall of china. dig it.

Odd. The leaf is visible elsewhere.

And Vexx is great. Thanks, big guy.

/CanadaBanner4.jpg