test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Nova build?

Favorite character is Nova from Marvel (I like both Richard Rider and Sam Alexander). I like the concept of shooting enery beams that are flashy, sound great and being incredibly fast as well. One of my most favorite games died a few months ago, Marvel Heroes. So that play style is no longer accessible in any game at the moment. I'm hoping Champions Online will be able to bring that character to life for me.

I know there is a rule against making characters look the same as licensed characters already, I do not intend to make him look exactly look either Nova, but a playstyle would be preferable and I'll see if I can throw together a fitting costume.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Okay, but what powersets (or specific attacks) would you like to focus on? Force, PA, Celestial, Electricity, etc..

It sounds like beam-based PA is the best fit, but I'm not too familiar w/ the source material.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    believeinsteve1believeinsteve1 Posts: 6 Arc User
    Sorry I thought I did explain. I'll try again.

Nova in Marvel Heroes played in one of 3 ways. For most of his life he played as a fast melee attacker who part of his rotation was literally dashing back and forth to get maximum dps. That being said he also had beam attacks, that probably weren't true to his kit, but he would throw these things called pulsars which would lay on the ground and certain beam attacks would detonate them and 1 of 3 pulsars that you placed would have an effect.

What I'm looking for is a Nova type build that focuses on the shooting of beams from fists that is mostly energy/power beam focused. I didn't see anything like that. Force seemed about vibrations/sound focus, and the other energy type powers looked like it was power armor focused.

I remember in city of heroes we had a force or power "powerset" that was closer to what I'm looking for, which worries me that CO doesn't have that.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Don't worry about the names of the powers! If you see one that has the effect you like and looks like what you want, go for it. Find other powers that build some synergy and you are good to go. In Force you have powers that knock people around, in PA it's going to be beams coming out of your hands/head/chest.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Yea, CO doesn't really have that. That's why I wanted more clarification, since you'd likely have to mix sets and/or make compromises on theme when it comes to CO.

If you want an animation that looks like casting a continuous beam from both fists, then CO's picks there are a bit limited. Concussor Beam comes to mind first, though that's a PA toggle attack that has its own issues (PA toggles lockout all other power types when used, and are balanced around using >1 at a time, so you'd also have to be okay w/ chest or eye beams happening at the same time to get good dps from it). Incinerate also uses that anim and is a beam power, but is Fire-based, and its ideal to use it w/ other Fire powers to optimize it (and it doesn't sound like Nova is Fire based).

Sorcery has Soul Beam (one-handed cast anim), but that's magic-based; Electricity has LArc w/ the same cast anim (but has the same issues as Incin and Fire here). Celestial has Celestial Conduit, but I'm not sure if Celestial's aesthetic or the power's animation would fit either (and the dps won't be great on it). I'm also pretty sure you don't want to use anything from Telepathy or Telekinesis.

Outside of using multiple PA toggles, Force is prob the next best fit, but even then I'm not sure its satisfactory as Force is mostly charged attacks and gravity manipulation (Force is a set in need of a re-vamp as is). I guess you could also use any of the various healing runes if you want a ground-based effect, but it'll be for largely defensive purposes and not for offense (same thing w/ the various 'circle' ground powers in Sorcery).

I guess I'm not really familiar enough w/ Nova to be able to help you, but I hope that shed some light on a few things when it comes to CO.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    Are you freeform?
  • Options

Are you freeform?

yea, I guess that also wasn't clear. W/o a FF slot you can't select your own powers, and have to use one of the free Archetypes (mostly pre-made builds), I'm assuming. That will limit your choices even more.
  • Options
    I did grab the gold pack to see if I can build a character to my liking first before I buy a freeform slot.

Shooting from chest isn't a bad thing, he normally fires them from his hands, but when power overloads he generally just emits the entire power around him like a ...super nova. Overall power looks are more important than me to playability as I don't really play with others in this game so I don't need to be at my best. Doing quests and solo content is what is important to me though.

Using multiple powers at once isn't important either. I think I said that wrong. In MHO he was able to use them because of how his kit worked in that the pulsars would already be on the ground from a prior cast. So using 1 power at a time isn't a deal breaker. When I looked at concussor beam though for some reason it didn't feel right. I'll have another look though.
  • Options
    carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    As Flow mentioned, there's a lot of possibilities that could fit the general concept. Since you're a Gold subscriber, I'd recommend checking out the Test Server if you haven't already. You can auto-level a character to 40 and see how all the powersets look.

I'll toss out a suggestion for Unarmed Martial Arts. There are a few "power explosion" effects attached to some of the punches (notably Open Palm Strike, and Burning Chi Fist with the Righteous Fury advantage). Hand auras can really help sell the "energy hands" concept.

Below is a quick build skeleton you can mess with, designed for Melee role. Use Open Palm Strike to apply Chi Flame, then spam charged Burning Chi Fists. Reapply Chi Flame as needed. Remember that Chi Fist needs Righteous Fury to trigger Enrage. If you're leveling from scratch, use Force Blast instead of Unleashed Rage (run in Ranged role), then swap after you get your punch-splosion attacks. You could also squeeze in an AoE like Force Eruption in the pre-retcon setup, if you get bored with Force Blast spam.

The listed travel powers are just fillers; replace them with whatever works for your theme.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform
    v2.4.2-29

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Devastator (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Force Bolts (advantages)
    Level 1: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Force Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheathe)
    Level 8: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Chi Manipulation
    Level 20: Burning Chi Fist (Rank 2, Righteous Fury, Ghostly Strikes)
    Level 23: Open Palm Strike (Power Shift, Chi Flame, Ghostly Strikes)
    Level 26:
    Level 29:
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 31/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Flight (advantages)

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)
  • Options

As Flow mentioned, there's a lot of possibilities that could fit the general concept. Since you're a Gold subscriber, I'd recommend checking out the Test Server if you haven't already. You can auto-level a character to 40 and see how all the powersets look.

I'll toss out a suggestion for Unarmed Martial Arts. There are a few "power explosion" effects attached to some of the punches (notably Open Palm Strike, and Burning Chi Fist with the Righteous Fury advantage). Hand auras can really help sell the "energy hands" concept.

Below is a quick build skeleton you can mess with, designed for Melee role. Use Open Palm Strike to apply Chi Flame, then spam charged Burning Chi Fists. Reapply Chi Flame as needed. Remember that Chi Fist needs Righteous Fury to trigger Enrage. If you're leveling from scratch, use Force Blast instead of Unleashed Rage (run in Ranged role), then swap after you get your punch-splosion attacks. You could also squeeze in an AoE like Force Eruption in the pre-retcon setup, if you get bored with Force Blast spam.

The listed travel powers are just fillers; replace them with whatever works for your theme.

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform
    v2.4.2-29

Super Stats
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Devastator (Str: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning (Str: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 9: Relentless (Str: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Bodybuilder (Str: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Force Bolts (advantages)
    Level 1: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Force Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheathe)
    Level 8: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Chi Manipulation
    Level 20: Burning Chi Fist (Rank 2, Righteous Fury, Ghostly Strikes)
    Level 23: Open Palm Strike (Power Shift, Chi Flame, Ghostly Strikes)
    Level 26:
    Level 29:
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:
    Adv. Points: 31/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Flight (advantages)

Specializations
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (2/3)