test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A defining role for Turando

deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
edited January 2018 in Builds and Roles
So my main character, Turando, is known to be incredibly bipolar when it comes to what combat role he fills. Sometimes it's fun just being able to do whatever I feel, but most of the time it seems I have to really narrow down what I should be doing. This chaotic gameplay can be focused, but the question is what should I focus on? Or should I even try to? In any situation, I want to maintain the theme of a combat medic.

I can remain the same and carry on the way I have been.
I could slip into a more defined healing role and play more like a support.
Another alternative is to sacrifice some durability and healing capability to enhance damage output.
And finally, I could focus on my playstyle's advantages in aggressive fighting and healing and forego damage output.

What do the rest of you think I should do?
Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

A defining role for Turando 4 votes

Remain in chaos
25%
draogn 1 vote
Refine the build into a Healer/Support
25%
gabrion2 1 vote
Retool the build for more DPS
25%
shadowolf505 1 vote
Reshape the build into an Off-tank / Off-healer position
25%
danlim 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    Why not take two different passives and have different sets of gear that best match the passives? My main has both Electric Form and Invulnerability and some different offensive gear for each.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    What defines 'combat medic' for you?
  • Options
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Why not take two different passives and have different sets of gear that best match the passives? My main has both Electric Form and Invulnerability and some different offensive gear for each.

Because that's too expensive, both in terms of power selection and gear. I won't have enough powers to apply to where I need directly, so I have to adjust what I already have to better fill the options I've got laid out.
    What defines 'combat medic' for you?

Probably the most basic definition of "Healer that can fight effectively in a variety of situations." It has to be Two-gun based, and be visually appealing for the inventor-type background the character has roots in. Of course, I already have ideas in mind on how to achieve the goals I've set up. I just need a direction because I can only apply for one of these outcomes.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    You can forgo changing gear/stats focus and still get pretty good mileage from the dual passives approach, since you can also change the role. Changing just those two things (passive and role) can do much to shift your focus w/o changing anything else.

Anyways, if you do just want to commit to a role, then that's up to your personal pref. Not really for us to decide on that, imo, since there's a big diff between playing a healer and playing a dps, and not every player is going to like every role.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    flowcyto wrote: »
    You can forgo changing gear/stats focus and still get pretty good mileage from the dual passives approach, since you can also change the role. Changing just those two things (passive and role) can do much to shift your focus w/o changing anything else.

Sadly, I can't do the dual-passive approach. I run out of power choices simply picking up the necessities for Turando's attack powers and heals. The things I can afford to adjust are my AO, Passive, Form, and Superstats/Specializations. Touching anything else is actually harmful to the character's potential AND theme.
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Anyways, if you do just want to commit to a role, then that's up to your personal pref. Not really for us to decide on that, imo, since there's a big diff between playing a healer and playing a dps, and not every player is going to like every role.

At the end of the day, I'll continue playing mostly like I have been but with an actual direction and role to fill. I'm just leaving which direction to take up to the community.​​

• Options
    Can you give a partial build showing the powers you consider essential? I'm guessing OT or dps will be easiest to make functional, but it depends a bit on the powers you want.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    I think you should just use earth powers and be done with it.
  • Options
    Can you give a partial build showing the powers you consider essential? I'm guessing OT or dps will be easiest to make functional, but it depends a bit on the powers you want.

http://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=28&n=&d=100000000000000000800085008E000000G80000007B008S008U00EO007U0037000000OQ00000100000000

Here ya go. I can trade some possible powers for others, but in order to maintain theme those are mostly hard-set.

The block can be adjusted to a different one, BCR could possibly become Conviction, but for the most part everything else is rather theme-locked or too important to the general playstyle to be adjusted. Passive, Form, and AO/AD are really all I can adjust otherwise.​​

• Options
    Hm. To some degree you have to make a choice -- you can go the Compassion route and 2GM/Lead Tempest will be quite unimpressive, or you can go with one of the ranged dps powers and your heals will be quite unimpressive.

It would probably be easiest to go for an offtank/healer, using compassion, but unfortunately lead tempest doesn't have challenge.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    Yea, that backbone is pretty basic pistol Muni, and can be adapted for any of the three major roles (though for tanking you prob would want to switch LT for Bullet Hail for Challenge). Again, I'm just not sure on how you really want to play this toon. Maybe you should stay the more undefined Hybrid route if that's what you've been enjoying most.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    Why not go PRE pss with dps passive in ranged dps role? Use Compassion. You won't do top of the charts dps or healing, but you'll still be OK at both. You could probably make a tank with Pre pss, but if you do with Defiance, you'd still end up wanting a bunch of Con. %HP healing ticks are nice for tanks.

I'm not sure how well a Dex based healer would do. Only Inequity and HoTs can't crit as far as I know. Put +% healing on your gear. Dodge tanks seem to be... out of style now. Plus, there have never been any good options for ranged dodge tanking.

Normally, when I think combat healer, I don't think of a tank or dps, but a support character. If you go with support/dps, you could pick med nanites and take Concussion Grenades w/stun.

You have plenty of choices that would still fit your theme, so it boils down to what you enjoy playing.​​
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    deadman20 said:

http://aesica.net/co/herocreator.htm?v=28&n=&d=100000000000000000800085008E000000G80000007B008S008U00EO007U0037000000OQ00000100000000

Here ya go. I can trade some possible powers for others, but in order to maintain theme those are mostly hard-set.

The block can be adjusted to a different one, BCR could possibly become Conviction, but for the most part everything else is rather theme-locked or too important to the general playstyle to be adjusted. Passive, Form, and AO/AD are really all I can adjust otherwise.​​

Take AoRP for your passive along with the Protector spec's Bulwark+Unrelenting. This way you can offtank + heal. If you want to go further down that path you can start building out a second set of gear with CON mods for when you're offtanking.

Generally speaking, with how restricted this concept is I'd suggest pursuing the least restricted role along with healing. That would be Offtank, whose only requirements are that you can survive by yourself and have an aoe. I'd also suggest getting a Psi Accelerator if you don't have one...it's amazing for both offtanks and healers

Here's an example build that retains all of the powers you specified and is set up as an Offtank / Real Healer (not Offhealer...dunno what those are)

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform
    v2.3.2-28

Super Stats
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: Divinity (Con: 12, Pre: 12)
    Level 6: Enduring (Con: 8)
    Level 9: Intimidating (Pre: 8)
    Level 12: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 21: Prodigy (Pre: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Gunslinger
    Level 1: Holdout Shot (Stim Pack)
    Level 6: Killer Instinct
    Level 8: Empathic Healing (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Force Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3, Force Sheathe)
    Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Resurrection Serum
    Level 23: Lead Tempest (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Two-Gun Mojo (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenge!)
    Level 29: Rebirth
    Level 32: Iniquity (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Compassion
    Level 38: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Athletics (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (1/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Presence: Vulnerability (2/2)
    Sentinel: Torment (2/2)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)