test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

80's hair metal concept

Hello again Champions Forum! (and Flow more specifically)

After many months of tweaking and adjusting an outfit, and much difficulty in selecting just the right combination of colors, I have finally finished my latest work in progress; an 80's rocker superhero complete with leather, spikes, hearts, and gloriously large hair in three colors. Now I just need the powerset to match. The obvious choice would be to take the Rocker AT, however I don't want yet another melee character. Plus, the AT lacks the power what makes/breaks the whole concept; Power Chord.

Aside from that, i'm not sure what powers to take. I want to avoid traditional weapons, (guns, swords) eschew technological things like robots or lasers and instead opt for buffs/debuffs, or heals or holds or perhaps Ego power tree. As to what else would fit the theme, maybe healing fire or light-based stuff? Something that is a fitting choice for the glitz and glamor of a hair metal band.

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    I assume you have access to FFs, so no real need to consider an AT atm anyways.

You mentioned not wanting weapons, which makes sense on the surface, but also the Rockstar AT is a type of Heavy Weapons build. Are you okay w/ a melee weapon if you can change its skin to one of the guitars? If its not that, then I'm quite not sure what you want to use to attack your enemy with (aside from the obv Hyper Voice I guess).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    Yes I have a spare FF slot that I haven't filled since I bought it during the last 50% off Freeform sale.

I don't want to do HW because the guitar weapon looks ridiculously large compared to the guitar back accessory. I don't know if I should go with a healer or crowd control build or a blaster powerset because I haven't really tried them to be honest. None of my current heroes are super powered, I wanted to change that with this new toon. I would get Power Chord mostly for thematic reasons but it also looks like a useful AoE knockback to use should I get in trouble. My computer can finally handle FX of fire and electricity and so on, I think i'd like to attempt it if I could find the right combo.
  • Options
    Well, I could give some builds, but I'd kinda like you to decide on a playstyle first, cause obv a committed healer is gonna be built a bit diff than a hybrid-dps or a CC'er.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    Mind posting them all for me to try and decide? :)
  • Options
    I'd rather not spend the extra time w/o more direction given. Here's one build for you, though:

(Unnamed Build) - Freeform
    v2.3.2-28

Super Stats
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Endurance (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Hero (Str: 8, Dex: 8, Con: 8, Int: 8, Ego: 8, Pre: 8, Rec: 6, End: 6)
    Level 6: Shrug It Off (Con: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 9: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 12: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 15: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Prodigy (Pre: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina (Rec: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Throw Fire
    Level 1: Fireball (Rank 2, Charged Attack)
    Level 6: Hearth (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Compassion
    Level 11: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 14: Warmth (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Flashfire (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Incinerate (Rank 2, Rank 3, Burninator)
    Level 23: Absorb Heat (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Electrical Siphon (Rank 2, Charged Up)
    Level 29: Fire Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge
    Level 35: Howl
    Level 38: Power Chord (Rock Concert)
    Adv. Points: 33/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (3/3)
    Sentinel: Genesis (1/2)
    Sentry: Fortified Gear (2/3)
    Sentry: Precise (3/3)
    Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
    Sentry: Fortify (2/2)
    Mastery: Presence Mastery (1/1)

Its mostly a Fire-based Support/healer (that can solo in Hybrid role), and has Power Chord and Howl mostly for theme (but they can also buff/debuff). Can apply Clinging Flames w/ Fireball, Flashfire, and/or Fire Shield (CF can work w/ Absorb Heat). Can also apply Negative Ions w/ Fireball's special adv (to work w/ Elec Siphon). Incinerate is for single-target dps when not healing, but generally you should keep Flashfire up to help proc CF and TReverb. Warmth is just a regular filler healing spell that can be used on you or allies.

Prob best played closer up due to the pbAoE heal of Absorb Heat and Elec Siphon. Gears mostly for Pres, w/ some Con and End/Rec.
  • Options
    I gave the builds above a try, and while I like the way they are structured, it doesn't really seem fitting for my theme. So I tried a basic Celestial build I found the other day, and I really like the way the light and sound and animations look for my rocker. Now that the computer i'm using can handle the FX, i'd like to try a healer or crowd control hero.

Does there exist a build that mixes Celestial with some Sonic powers such as Hyper Voice and Power Chord? I think those two would be fitting for a rocker. B)
  • Options
    Alright, here's a Rocker healer, that should be pretty thematic:

v2.3.2-28

Super Stats

Talents
    Level 1: The Hero (Str: 8, Dex: 8, Con: 8, Int: 8, Ego: 8, Pre: 8, Rec: 6, End: 6)
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Prodigy (Pre: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Lasting Impression (Pre: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Radiance
    Level 1: Rebuke (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Compassion
    Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Iniquity (Rank 2, Justice)
    Level 14: Hyper Voice (Rank 2, Rattle)
    Level 17: Overdrive
    Level 20: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Incinerate (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Masterful Dodge
    Level 29: Redemption (Salvation)
    Level 32: Rebirth
    Level 35: Eldritch Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Power Chord (Rank 2, Rock Concert)
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Sentinel: Genesis (1/2)
    Sentry: Fortified Gear (2/3)

Rebuke is for long-range healing (and self-healing when Conviction is on cd), Conviction for a quick self-heal, and Iniquity for close-range and AoE healing (the self-dmg can be repaired easily via Conviction). Incinerate is for single-target dps, and Hyper Voice for AoE and Disorient. Gears mostly for Pres, w/ some Con and End.
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    If you can handle the oversize guitar for the Block you could use the HW Guard, but maybe the hero is only a singer and can't play an instrument? If you don't want to be a rezzer you could add Fire Snake to buff Incinerate. Fire has a variety of healing tools in it now if you want something with more pyrotechnics in it.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    I was thinking of something like this:

I thought of Dex as a SS to give you a better chance of crits with Arcane Vitality and Incinerate and because some of the Specs rely on crits.

AoPM is great. I put in Medical Nanites since most end game content has a plethora of AoPMs show up.

Bionic Shielding could be lots of things: Iniquity for single target spike heals, some kind of sigils (rock concert pyrotechnics) or Pillar of Poz/Expulse, or an AO like Ascension (to make use of Guide); maybe even Fire Snake for more flames (for Absorb Heat) and damage?

If you want to be a dedicated healer you could drop Incinerate for one of the powers I just mentioned.

I'm sure Flow could suggest some fine tuning.

I'm liking this concept. I may have to build it myself :)

Glam 1 - Freeform
    v2.3.2-28

Super Stats
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Chiller (Dex: 10, Con: 10, Rec: 8, End: 10)
    Level 9: Acrobat (Dex: 5, Con: 5)
    Level 12: Finesse (Dex: 5, Pre: 5)
    Level 15: Prodigy (Pre: 5, End: 5)
    Level 18: Accurate (Dex: 5, End: 5)
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Radiance
    Level 1: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Compassion
    Level 8: Guard
    Level 11: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 14: Will-o'-the-Wisp (Guide, Ghost Fire)
    Level 17: Absorb Heat (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Arcane Vitality (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Incinerate (Rank 2, Rank 3, Burninator)
    Level 26: Rise From the Ashes (Spreading Flames)
    Level 29: Fiery Embrace
    Level 32: Medical Nanites (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Power Chord (Rank 2, Rock Concert)
    Level 38: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Adv. Points: 36/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6: Distortion Acrobatics (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Millennial Flight

Specializations
    Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
    Sentinel: Eternal Spring (1/2)
    Sentry: Reinforce (2/2)
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    yea, you could add Firesnake for Incinerate (and get the 1pt adv for it then), though I may just use Incendiary grenade w/ advs then as its more reliable for CF and debuff rolling. I suggested a mostly Fire build for him earlier and he seems to want something more Celestial-based now. Ofc, Celestial currently doesn't offer too much outside of healing, so I outsourced the ST dps attack to Fire since its okay enough on its own.
  • Options
    jebidiahbeetus#4643 jebidiahbeetus Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    I like the way you think jaazaniah1, theme is very important when it comes to building this kind of concept character.

So I gave Celestial a try and boy..i'm really not liking it at all. It seems in every other game i'm always the healer role and I manage just fine, but in CO I am absolutely terrible at it. I'm either too slow to prevent someone from going plooie or enemies drop me before I have a chance to heal myself long enough for a teammate to notice and grab the aggro off me. I scoured the forum looking at different builds and after trying the roles of healer, crowd control, hybrids of the two, I have decided I should probably stick with what i'm best at: DPS.

Pyrotechnics would be a fitting addition but since there's no "fireworks" type of powers I think electricity is the closest I can get at the moment. I just wish we had more powers to actually play the guitar instead of swinging it like a club. I gave fire powers a try but they don't quite suit the theme the way I want, so for my last build request I would like to try electricity. (with Power Chord and maybe Hyper Voice, unless there's a better equivalent to it in the electric power set) I'm going to assume electricity is better suited toward DPS than control, right?

Please grant me one more custom build Flow, I love the outfit and character too much to scrap the concept. :#
  • Options
    Yea Elecricity is more suited to dps atm. I guess you could throw Elec Current's stun adv in there for AoE, though:

v2.3.2-28

Super Stats
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)

Talents
    Level 1: The Scourge (Con: 10, Ego: 10, Rec: 10, End: 8)
    Level 6: Ascetic (Con: 5, Ego: 5)
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves (Con: 5, End: 5)
    Level 12: Daredevil (Ego: 5, End: 5)
    Level 15: Quick Recovery (Con: 5, Rec: 5)
    Level 18: Worldly (Ego: 5, Rec: 5)

Powers
    Level 1: Electric Bolt
    Level 1: Chain Lightning (Lightning Helix, Superconductor)
    Level 6: Electric Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Concentration
    Level 11: Ionic Reverberation
    Level 14: Electrical Current (Rank 2, Bad Wiring)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Ball Lightning (Rank 2, Triplicity, Supercharged)
    Level 23: Lightning Arc (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Resurgence (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Electric Shield (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Imbue
    Level 35: Power Chord (Rank 2, Rock Concert)
    Level 38: Rebirth
    Adv. Points: 34/36

Travel Powers
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)

More of a standard Elec dps build w/ Power Chord. Puts up NI w/ Ball Lit and Chain Lit, puts up Superconductor w/ Chain Lit, and then use Larc as ur main attack while using Ball Lit when tis available. For AoE, you can use Ball Lit and Elec Current spam. Gears mostly for Ego, w/ some Con and End.