test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Good evenink

rajakajirajakaji Posts: 69 Arc User
Hi all,
So I usually shy away from MMOs, generally preferring games that one can pause and exit easily without losing too much progress, 'cuz family, pets, and other various household emergencies. But I've been looking at this game for a long time and my spouse had a dream with me as a shadowy superhero, which of course is my ultimate goal here, so I figured that was a sign that it was about time to check it out.

Currently playing a Grimoire while he "researches rituals to summon an eldrich abomination from beyond the stars" (a.k.a. collects Questionite to trade in for Zen and watches for sales to build my future character).

Few questions, of course, on account of being a noob. I can't really find a good flow chart for "Buy this archetype to unlock this power tree in free form". The Void seems pretty straight forward to unlock Darkness skills, but I'd also like to check out the stealth system and that I'm not too sure about which archetype I'd need to buy to get Sneak, or which would be best for it.

Also, any advice on (eventually when I get the hang of it enough to trust myself to build a free form character) how well a Darkness/Stealth Hybrid might go and what to watch out for would be appreciated

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    rajakaji said:

Hi all,
    I can't really find a good flow chart for "Buy this archetype to unlock this power tree in free form".

Every power tree is available for Free Forms from the start.
    Except few Powers trough Lockbox drops and GCR Vendor.
    There is no "Buy archetype, get powers for FFs" type of thing. You just pay for subscription. Or buy a Free Form Slot.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9065413
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/3028173
    (these are accurate in most parts)

CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rajakajirajakaji Posts: 69 Arc User
    Oh, well thanks a lot. That helps. I guess I'll just work on getting a Free Form Slot.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Unlike some free to play games, Champs lets you do all the missions, even the last endgame missions, for free. You are limited in character classes (archetype) and some other QoL things (power tinting, for instance).

Probably more common the other way (all or most character options for free, missions are sub/transaction locked), but Champs is bananas like that.
    :)

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Honestly if you're into customizing your character's looks there really isn't a better F2P game that I know of, as Roughbearmattach points out there's a lot of free content to play though as well, sadly however the powers and power hues are either locked off or behind a pay wall. You can unlock a free form by playing the game, it will take a while, but it's entirely possible as I've known silvers to do it in the game, but my advice is rather then grinding to get what you want, just adjust your story and look to be the hero you want now and enjoy the hours of free content that the game already provides. If you enjoy that then maybe consider subscribing and making the character you dream of then if the game seems worth the investment.