test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Here's What I Don't Get?

Why charge other heroes people have have not tried yet with zen? It's like you don't want people to like this game and that you want them to pay zen to try the other options to make heroes with. That just discourages people to stick around games like this. You're actually hurting the process, you;re basically saying " shoo, go away we don't want you here, unless you can pay to play." Talk about harsh...

Comments

• nevyn34nevyn34 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I'm going to assume you're referring to the limited archetypes available to ftp or silver accounts. You're far from the first to notice it but I gotta warn you: You're beating a dead horse and people here are dicks.
    Current Roster:

Frostbiter (Freeform Ice DPS)
    Battle Hazard (Unleashed AT)
    Glacial Tyrant (Glacier AT)
    Silver Mantra ( Freeform Single Blade DPS)
    Magnetros (Freeform Heavy Weapons/Lightning Hybrid)
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,424 Arc User
    That's a bit hard to follow I think you are asking why they charge Zen for people to play certain premium Archetypes (ATs) without some sort of trial period? Even if they let you "try" a premium AT it would likely be for some relatively short period. I.e. they are not going to let you level it to 40 and then decide. That being the case, you would never get the full feel of a premium AT, even in a try out. Some ATs only shine after you get to a certain level.

Note that they do give some basic ATs for free. They also make some of the premium ATs available during events by letting players grind out event currencies to buy them (there will probably be one for the holidays coming up). Those are free, except that you have to invest time. You can also accumulate Questionite, exchange it for Zen and then buy an AT. Also free. You can even grind Q to buy Free Form slots; i.e. you can get a free form character by just spending a lot of time playing the game (and watching for when those slots go on sale, probably there will be one for the holidays). Some players are very proud of not paying any real money of their own in-game. Remember, though, the motto is free for play, not all for free. They do have to make some money to keep the lights on.

Best course of action is to ask on the forums if a particular premium AT is good or not, and what the problems are in the not so good ones.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    Most events (all now?) have one premium AT available to get with in-game currency, not Zen.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    > @nevyn34 said:
    > I'm going to assume you're referring to the limited archetypes available to ftp or silver accounts. You're far from the first to notice it but I gotta warn you: You're beating a dead horse and people here are dicks.

If someone comes in insulting, what do you think happens?

Guy has a thread earlier about a mission and instead of helping us figure out what he is doing wrong...he just bashes it for 90% of thread.

There is a right way and a wrong way to vent your frustration....and guess which one he is using.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    I kinda miss the Archetype Rotation promotion from way back when. Anyway, dead horse is dead.​​
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    You get to play whole game for free.
    You get to buy stuff without spending single $. Just by playing the game. For free.
    "Free For All, Not All For Free".
    Seems your mind is set to a 1 track. Switch lanes, have fun. It's free.
    I don't think the OP can wholy process how games actually work. Games that have stayed alive over 8 years.
    How much free stuff now dead Marvel Heroes gave? The game that was so awesome and stuff.
    :#
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    One of the best, most useful ATs, in my not-so-freaking-humble opinion, is a free one - the Unleashed. The only change I made for it when using the powers for a FF was to swap out Force Pull (which I find takes too long to charge to be useful in most combat situations) with Lunge (justified because the character was a parody of a Jedi knight, and they do have that thing where they jump across the set during fights).

Soldier's not bad either. Captain Americlown is still a Soldier AT.

So, if you don't want to buy a premium AT, or grind Q for Zen, or just earn one with event currency during an event, you can still play with a fun and useful powerset. Completely up to you.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    nevyn34 said:

You're beating a dead horse and people here are dicks.

/signed as your proof of that.

nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited December 2017
    Indeed. =) That was even my way of saying I'm playing again.

There's no reason to pretend that we all don't know how theses threads turn out though. A lot of drama, a lot of wrangling, some booze and then it's all slamming doors and mommy and daddy fighting again.
    Current Roster:

I thought you were a dead cat?
    nepht said:

nevyn34 said:

/signed as your proof of that.

JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
  • scildtrumascildtruma Posts: 76 Arc User
    Glacier is an awesome sliver AT IMHO.
    My lvl 40 champs in random order.

=Pieces of Stuff=Knock Dead=Cruel Yule=Cremator=Toys from the Attic=
    =Gnosis Arcanum=Twenty Seven=Kama D=Critic=Creep Freeze=
    =Mangled Man=G.I. John Doe=2D.=Lung the punch drunk monk=
    =By the sword=Scild Truma=Shadow Puppet=Lu-7=Erysichthon=
    =Nimravid=Buzzard Kill=Lorenzini=Schema=

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    my favourite is grimoire, especially when i can spam heal or spam aoe damage. I have 3 grimoires.
    ------
    in answer to the opening post.
    it's a business.
    they need money to pay staff.
    if everything is free then they don't get money.

see methods of acquiring at's free above
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

nevyn34 said:

And half of those are vags, since gender equality.

• wisedoomwisedoom Posts: 19 Arc User
    Well, I came here from playing Marve; Heroes Omega for a long time, too bad they had to shut down because some CEO could not keep his hands to himself. Unlike this game they offer people a great selection of heroes to play and a better controller layout function. So whether how the people at Arc may or may not be, they can't take away the fact that even in the gaming industry it's also always about comparing apple with oranges. They have no choice but to be open for the criticism that people give to them, just by leaving what their products do out of exposure. That's on them...not the gamer who plays the game.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    nevyn34 said:

people here are dicks.

Lemme just run that through the translator. Okay, the readout says "People here don't agree with me".
  • beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    the scientific term is penis

wisedoom said:

Well, I came here from playing Marve; Heroes Omega for a long time, too bad they had to shut down because some CEO could not keep his hands to himself. Unlike this game they offer people a great selection of heroes to play and a better controller layout function.

Since this is the only part that I could understand...I'll just comment on this.

UNLIKE Marvel...Champions lets you create an endless variety of heroes to play. So you may have a "great selection....*clears throat* HAD, but in no way were you able to make your own hero.

And a lot of people use a keypad to play CO...not sure what is hard about pressing the arrow keys and numbers.
    spinnytop said:

nevyn34 said:

people here are dicks.

Lemme just run that through the translator. Okay, the readout says "People here don't agree with me".
    No-one understands me! *slams door*
    Current Roster:

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User

wisedoom said:

Well, I came here from playing Marve; Heroes Omega for a long time, too bad they had to shut down because some CEO could not keep his hands to himself. Unlike this game they offer people a great selection of heroes to play and a better controller layout function.

Since this is the only part that I could understand...I'll just comment on this.

UNLIKE Marvel...Champions lets you create an endless variety of heroes to play. So you may have a "great selection....*clears throat* HAD, but in no way were you able to make your own hero.

And a lot of people use a keypad to play CO...not sure what is hard about pressing the arrow keys and numbers.
    Yeah really this game works great with just keyboard most of the time.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    Well you can do a lot more here for free than you can with DCUO... so there's that.

- Plus... almost every event has a way to earn one of the Premium AT's for free. And events are frequent. Should be a Holiday one coming up soon. My guess is the Icicle AT will be up available for free then.. since it's Winter themed.

- Premium AT in this game doesn't necessarily mean better. The Soldier, Glacier, Unleashed, and Grimoire are just as good as any of the Premium ones. In fact, I'd recommend them over just about anything other than the Invincible or the Savage.

- AT's aren't THAT expensive I think they come out being roughly $20 - which is cheaper than some other games monthly sub cost. Actually, the monthly sub here isn't too bad either. And there are regular sales on AT's that make them even cheaper than that.

Basically, when it comes to MMO's CO gives us a ton of options for free. There's no DLC pay-to-play content -- it's all free. You can enjoy the entire game without spending a single dime. Also, no gear checks and the leveling is fairly straight forward. You don't even have to gear much other than what drops if you want to.. which makes the game extremely alt-friendly.

Of course I've been playing DCUO a lot so that has colored my opinion greatly. You want an example of a game that puts just about everything behind a credit card purchase.. go play DCUO and then come back to Champions. You'll appreciate CO a lot more.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    I'm a silver player and yes I've used the store to buy ff slots and ATs but PWE/Cryptic though they don't seem to do premium AT give aways that they often do give aways for Free Form slots. I've personally gotten 2 FF slots for nothing at all and I know I've most likely missed other chances.

You also have to factor in that most paid for ATs are rubbish compared to the free ones.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    I thought the only items we had to pay the real money were gold account $14.99 per month and Lifetime Members for $299.99. Please burden for electricity and internet by your self. o3o

I thought all other, everything, were able to get free. Even FF slot.
    Grind Questionites, transfer to Zen, grind for event tokens, grind for Gs, random drops, and perks.

Most thing we have to spend in game is... time. Anyway. o3o
    "A great selection of heroes to play."

Okay, you asked for it - and keep in mind, this is only my personal menagerie:

Happifun Security System X-4 - a robot Invincible AT
    Short Circuit - a 4' 6" electricity user
    Piqsirpoq - Glacier AT, an RCMP officer blessed by the spirit of Winter and the Hunt
    Captain Americlown - Soldier AT, a Captain America parody
    Hypernova - a black Superman expy (not sure if I'm really going to add cold breath, though)
    Blackwing - Night Avenger AT, former sidekick of Spider-Bat
    Electrocutie - a Tempest AT I created primarily for a costume contest (she didn't win)
    Gunrunner - a speedster who fires imaginary guns
    Dr. Destiny - real name Dr. Randall W. Destiny, PhD in Applied Metaphysics
    Kilbern - former Turakian-Age god, fought his way back to Earth when Takofanes returned
    The Duck Knight - I think it's pretty obvious
    Rudolph the Red-Nosed Pain Deer - a Christmas toon, a HW-using deer manimal
    Patchwork - cyborg inventor with a ton of robot pets
    Supermanx - a cat-man Superman
    Vincit Omnia - a bow-wielding war cupid
    Spider-Bat - Spider-Man/Batman mashup, only less sane
    Starfall - former major hero, recovering alcoholic, trying to rebuild his rep
    Repulsor - only VIPER would think it was smart to put a 9-yr-old's brain into a massive warbot
    Shadow Walker - transdimensional mage
    The Other One - Neo parody
    Pyretta Blaze - fire-user
    Cryogen - John Frost. Call him Jack, he'll freeze your feet to the floor.
    Screwloose - small, toylike electricity-using robot
    Space Cowboy - alien bounty hunter stuck on Earth
    Bulwark - an attempt at a regen tank
    Death Metal - undead bassist, uses his bass as a HW
    Lady Liberty - a little slip of a girl that can bench-press RenCen in a pinch
    Chaingang - supernatural control of chains
    Encantador - a Hexslinger from Phoenix, AZ, sent to RenCen by the Trismegistus Council
    Okee-wan Fenokee - a Jedi parody
    Mr. Softee - former ice-cream-store mascot, now an animated snowman
    Psimitar - mind swords
    Deadfool - undead parody of Deadpool
    Shark Knight - inspired not by a bat in the window, but by Shark Week on Discovery
    Sore - God of Blunder, the Odarnitson
    Wolfwere - a young wolf infected with lycanthropy during the last Blood Moon, uses claws
    Staredown - Scott Winters - his heat vision is concussive! (Kind of an in-joke for people who follow Gail Simone on Twitter)

Plus a few others that ceased to entertain me - they'll probably disappear when I get new ideas.

Enough "selection" for ya?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

jonsills said:

Hypernova - a black Superman expy (not sure if I'm really going to add cold breath, though)

Maybe fire breath recolored to blue?
    jonsills said:

Gunrunner - a speedster who fires imaginary guns

One of my character uses the invisible guns because the concept is a character who uses psionic powers instead of firearms.
    jonsills said:

The Duck Knight - I think it's pretty obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck9QOmCeN94
    It's that guy right? :D
    jonsills said:

Staredown - Scott Winters - his heat vision is concussive! (Kind of an in-joke for people who follow Gail Simone on Twitter)

Is he related to Taffy Winters?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    I was going to include the quotes, but this so-called "Simple HTML" gives me a headache. So, more or less in order:

There is a cold breath power, in the Ice set, but there are some pretty good Might powers that I can still load onto Hypernova. He does have heat vision, though, in the form of Eye Beams.

Gunrunner's backstory is that he was altered by exposure to depleted uranium in Iraq, and that he developed very powerful psychokinesis - but that he doesn't really believe in psi powers, so the only way he can express it is if he imagines he's using the weapons he learned in the Army.

I'm pretty sure you were joking about the Duck Knight, but you wouldn't believe how many people have seen this toon and still thought I was doing a Darkwing thing. (I need to reupload the pic to Imgbb, but basically it's a guy in a Batman suit, with a bird on the chest, and the head of a duck.)

No, Scott doesn't even know Taffy. :smile: Gail's got this running gag on Twitter where she pretends to argue that Cyclops' (Scott Summers) eye-beams are heat-based, because they're red. (Also, there was one pic of Scott using his beams to light a birthday candle, and of course in J. Michael Straczynski's 9/11 issue of Amazing Spider-Man there's a panel showing Cyke using his beams to cut through an I-beam as Colossus lifts one end.) So, I created Staredown, starting with Force Blast (using the Head emanation point) and Eye Beams so he could have heat-based concussive blasts. (Since then, he's also added Fire Blast and Fireball, because there are disappointingly few powers that can be set to fire from one's eyes, and that's Staredown's gimmick.)

jonsills said:

I'm pretty sure you were joking about the Duck Knight, but you wouldn't believe how many people have seen this toon and still thought I was doing a Darkwing thing. (I need to reupload the pic to Imgbb, but basically it's a guy in a Batman suit, with a bird on the chest, and the head of a duck.)

Well, Darkwing Duck is a duck-themed parody of Batman. You did a duck themed parody of Batman. :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    That other game had "a great selection of characters" made by someone else. Here you can make your own great selection of characters.
    gradii said:

They could legit make more money by making freeform free for everyone and monetizing it for silver players, but theyre not quite that business saavy to understand this.​​

free for everyone except silver players? Like how it is now?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    Nobody's going to pay extra for power coloring and emanation points. If they were, there would have been a lot more people subbing - that's one of the selling points of a sub, after all.

jonsills said:

Well, Darkwing Duck is a duck-themed parody of Batman. You did a duck themed parody of Batman. :p
    This is the Duck Knight. Note the bodysuit, and the complete lack of double-breasted jacket or big floppy hat.

(Oh, and just because, the Shark Knight:

)

jonsills said:

Nobody's going to pay extra for power coloring and emanation points. If they were, there would have been a lot more people subbing - that's one of the selling points of a sub, after all.

Yeah really. I have no idea why someone would think that selling that would be more profitable than lockboxes.

And yes I already knew what Duck Knight looked like :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    They've kept Freeform Slots in the store for this long, so that means they're making an acceptable amount of revenue off of them. You'll need a stronger argument to convince them to dump that revenue source.

Also from what I've heard power coloring and emanation points aren't even features that they could package separately like that. I believe FF slots were supposed to have power coloring, but it was a no go because power coloring is either on for everything, or off for everything and can't be done per-slot.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    gradii said:

... the game is mostly abandoned and its good for a quick laugh now and then and some superhero antics. but it's not worth the 15 dollars monthly, and definitely not 300 bucks for lifetime anymore.

Ugh.
    Why spend so much time on the forums for a game that is just "good for a quick laugh now and then"?

Oh, wait--I have just given you the reason. You want attention and responses.

Wonder when this thread will close, too.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    I thought about the lifetime sub and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it to me at this late point in the game's life. I bought 4 Free-form slots on sale, some account unlocks and a hideout. That's going to be good enough for me. Subbing isn't really an attractive option either. I might sub for a month one of these days just to color my powers but probably not.
    Current Roster:

only thing I would argue to be free is AT but hell...events you can farm most. So no...no no no. Pay up you filthy silvers, you get no FF

only thing I would argue to be free is AT but hell...events you can farm most. So no...no no no. Pay up you filthy silvers, you get no FF

But it would make money to CO.
    :#
    edited December 2017
    nevyn34 said:

I thought about the lifetime sub and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it to me at this late point in the game's life. I bought 4 Free-form slots on sale, some account unlocks and a hideout. That's going to be good enough for me. Subbing isn't really an attractive option either. I might sub for a month one of these days just to color my powers but probably not.

Glad you found what makes you personally happy. For me, I've only become more satisfied with my LTS purchase over time because currently this game is on a consistent upward slope. I wouldn't be surprised if I'll be playing this game for years to come. Folks years ago said this game was late in its life and was going to shut down soon... here we are years later and the game looks further from a shutdown every day.

But if they pay, they do get FF o3o ( also if they farm )
    Yeah, the game is a LOT more fun than it was when I got LTS! :D
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    edited December 2017

jonsills said:

Yeah really. I have no idea why someone would think that selling that would be more profitable than lockboxes.

And yes I already knew what Duck Knight looked like :p
    actually as son as we got silver FF slots (and people bitched about the price of ownership vs renting and "why can't i put an existing character in it?"

the same day people started asking for emanation points and power colouring, sine silver ff slots get the same bonusOv use per day as subs, it looks like they can't unlink certain sub things from them.
    ---------
    "reasonable and profitable price"
    reasonable for players or the business.
    and what if the profitable price isn't?
    Remembering the complaints on changes to costume prices.
    ----------
    TSW costumes-
    1 hat ,1 colour, buy a different one for a different colour.
    1 outfit, 1 colour scheme, pay more to unlock for all characters

if you don't keep paying your "rent'/subs, you don't get FF

edited December 2017
    Filthy freeloading Lifetimers.

(is LTS) :#
    Post edited by flyingfinn on
    Agreed. I don't agree with every decision the devs make (who does), but definitely more to do now than in the dark days of NW development.

JwLmWoa.png
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited December 2017

Agreed. I don't agree with every decision the devs make (who does), but definitely more to do now than in the dark days of NW development.

How so? because people are 'encouraged' (cause of Revamps) to change their approach then being complacent on self serving/exploitative builds/devices like they did before cosmic revamp? *Shudders at the memories of lack of support for dependent DPS builds suffering in Gravitar Rampages years ago* maybe not so much, still happens.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."

Filthy freeloading Lifetimers.

QFT. Probably going to piss some people off but most of the games lifers have been LTS for a handful of years. That money has already been counted, spent, depreciated and consigned to Valhalla. It's great if they spend more money on the game after that but I don't have any idea how much or what LTS spend money on.

Current Roster:

spinnytop said:

nevyn34 said:

Glad you found what makes you personally happy. For me, I've only become more satisfied with my LTS purchase over time because currently this game is on a consistent upward slope. I wouldn't be surprised if I'll be playing this game for years to come. Folks years ago said this game was late in its life and was going to shut down soon... here we are years later and the game looks further from a shutdown every day.

But if they pay, they do get FF o3o ( also if they farm )
    I usually do. I'm surprisingly good at it. That's why I always have this sunny disposition. I make really good money but I still carefully spend it. That pool in back of my house ain't gonna dig itself.
    Current Roster:

edited December 2017
    I’m not in the average player...I’ve spent way more than the cost of a LTS
  • thistleswift1thistleswift1 Posts: 219 Arc User
    i think i spend more money here now since i got my LTS a few years ago than i did beforehand ... i purchase at least a pack of keys each week for prizes for my SG's weekly CC, more if they release things i wanna have for myself ... gotta have all the pretty costumes, ya know!