test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Perk Discription Change

amii85amii85 Posts: 31 Arc User
edited December 2017 in Suggestions Box
I like this game as much as the next person that plays Champions, however having been a vegetarian for the last twenty years, I'd really appreciate the description (the one that you see upon mouse over in the Perks page) of the log-in perk (that's currently being given today) to just drop the word 'turkey', and make it instead "Ate too much". That's all. Please.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]$о мaиу тоой$, $о lїттlё тїмё...
Post edited by amii85 on

Comments

• beezeezebeezeeze Posts: 927 Arc User
    Relax, it was just a tofurky.

• amii85amii85 Posts: 31 Arc User
    I had considered three possibilities: 1): That there would be those that would love to make fun of my predicament, 2) ignore the issue, 3) Refuse to log in until the perk wouldn't be given any more.
    Since it appears that my issue isn't being taken seriously. I guess I'll just have to not log in on any characters that I don't want the 'perk' on. Thank you Cryptic.
    Respect for the commitment you have to your dietary choices.

edited November 2017
    But of course a couple of knuckleheads' lackluster response to your request on a public forum is hardly the fault of Cryptic or the devs or anyone else.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    You're not gonna log in cause the game has the word turkey. Sure u3u
    beezeeze said:

But of course a couple of knuckleheads' lackluster response to your request on a public forum is hardly the fault of Cryptic or the devs or anyone else.

Of course it isn't Crytic's direct fault for making the issue, it's just their lack of thought toward making the perk. It's as if there was a staff meeting or at least a discussion came up toward the wording of the perk, and someone MIGHT have brought up that including 'turkey' might cause some problem with those unable to eat it at all, and the response was, "Who cares about what vegetarians think?" So it went forward the way it was since it doesn't affect anyone of any importance.
    spinnytop said:

You're not gonna log in cause the game has the word turkey. Sure u3u

*sigh* She doesn't know me that well, does she? It IS true that I don't have very many friends in this game for one reason or another, but determination isn't one of them.

• kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    amii85 said:

It's as if there was a staff meeting or at least a discussion came up toward the wording of the perk, and someone MIGHT have brought up that including 'turkey' might cause some problem with those unable to eat it at all, and the response was, "Who cares about what vegetarians think?"

Please. It's not as if you represent vegetarians of the world. I'm a vegetarian and I think it's great. This your very first Thanksgiving? You're gonna hear about turkey. Find a real problem to care about.
    amii85 said:

*sigh* She doesn't know me that well, does she? It IS true that I don't have very many friends in this game for one reason or another, but determination isn't one of them.

I don't know you at all, so "very well" is completely out of reach. Enjoy your turkey protest o3o/

kamokami said:

Please. It's not as if you represent vegetarians of the world. I'm a vegetarian and I think it's great. This your very first Thanksgiving? You're gonna hear about turkey. Find a real problem to care about.

I didn't say anything about representing vegetarians of the world. You did. Sometimes I wish I could latch onto a subject that I would get unequivocal support on. So far, in these forums at least, it's never happened, and probably won't ever happen. This just happens to be something I feel strongly about. I just don't like the idea that any of my characters get saddled with a perk that I don't want just because of how it's described. I'd feel like a hypocrite if I would have just ignored it, so I thought despite no one else supporting me on this issue, I'd express myself anyway.

This is probably my twentieth Thanksgiving being a vegetarian. Just so you know.

spinnytop said:

I don't know you at all, so "very well" is completely out of reach. Enjoy your turkey protest o3o/

You too. No intention of knowing me in the future then?

Namaste.

• roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I have characters with perks for beating people senseless, which is something I wouldn't do or condone in real life. I also have perks that give titles I would never use on a single character. I choose not to use them, and I don't mouse over them once I realize they are not to my liking.

I get your discomfort. The game lacks in-story same-sex romance, and sometimes pushes stereotypes I don't much care for, but is not generally offensive, and definitely not purposefully offensive. I move past the parts I don't like, and play the game.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.

I have characters with perks for beating people senseless, which is something I wouldn't do or condone in real life. I also have perks that give titles I would never use on a single character. I choose not to use them, and I don't mouse over them once I realize they are not to my liking.

I get your discomfort. The game lacks in-story same-sex romance, and sometimes pushes stereotypes I don't much care for, but is not generally offensive, and definitely not purposefully offensive. I move past the parts I don't like, and play the game.

Thank you, but I've been purposefully careful about what perks I get, and use. I even kept from buying or using hot-dogs just so I wouldn't get that perk. Where I can admire you for your tenacity, I can't ignore this issue and just log on anyway. To me, it's like that grain of sand in my shoe. I can't walk a step further until I get rid of it. I can only log in one of two characters that already have that perk, and no more, at least until the perk isn't going to be given any more.
    Could someone at least tell me when the perk won't be given at log-in?
    gradii said:

It's not like you're eating the turkey in real life?​​

I know. I just don't want one or any of my characters doing something that I couldn't imagine doing, if there was any way I could possibly prevent it.

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    Can you imagine getting a perk for taking 1M crushing damage in real life? :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters

Well, I'm sure it could be more like atmospheric pressure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure .
  • blockwaveblockwave Posts: 329 Arc User
    I can’t imagine what you are living throught, getting a perk in a video game..seriously you must be a real snowflake to make a post lile that.

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    7eb.png
    This is Tumblr™ levels of pet-peeve First World Problems in a VIDEOGAME​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

But can you imagine beating up say, non-superpowered gang members or escaped prisoners? Can you imagine destroying whatever property happens to be in your way, like chairs and crates? There are perks for those, too.

Again, I understand your discomfort, but maybe some thought will give you perspective. Your characters are part of a fantasy that is not you. People play characters of a gender different than themselves, or a different race, or a even a villain.

Maybe, since I come from a role-playing game background, I find it easier to get into that headspace.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    amii85 said:

Well, I'm sure it could be more like atmospheric pressure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure .
    But would you live? Oooh! how about the ones for Toxic, Dimensional, or piercing?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    amii85 said:

Could someone at least tell me when the perk won't be given at log-in

Pretty sure you'll be safe if you just don't log in before January.
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I guess it was only a matter of time before ridiculous SJW things started pouring into the level of obnoxiously obscene. I am Cheyenne, but I am not demanding people stop celebrating Thanksgiving nor am I demanding the devs not to take it out of the game since it is a North American holiday in the States and Canada for the time being.

This is starting to remind me of commentary from George Carlin about political correct language where people start demanding names be changed for "political correctness" such as manhole cover be changed to person hole cover, or man in the moon being changed to person in the moon and etcetera.

It's a rebel without a clue fight for no reason at all. An attempt to find offense at any little thing just to be offended. And the attempting offense to yourself is an insult to rational, intelligent ideals and arguments to be made and selfish, bigoted attempts like this are the reason real discussions and finding actual faults and offenses are so much harder these days.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

I guess it was only a matter of time before ridiculous SJW things started pouring into the level of obnoxiously obscene. I am Cheyenne, but I am not demanding people stop celebrating Thanksgiving nor am I demanding the devs not to take it out of the game since it is a North American holiday in the States and Canada for the time being.

This is starting to remind me of commentary from George Carlin about political correct language where people start demanding names be changed for "political correctness" such as manhole cover be changed to person hole cover, or man in the moon being changed to person in the moon and etcetera.

It's a rebel without a clue fight for no reason at all. An attempt to find offense at any little thing just to be offended. And the attempting offense to yourself is an insult to rational, intelligent ideals and arguments to be made and selfish, bigoted attempts like this are the reason real discussions and finding actual faults and offenses are so much harder these days.

It might be a difficult concept to understand. I just don't want that perk, as it is described. I didn't demand it to be changed. I thought I politely asked. I've refrained from playing any other character for the past week in order to avoid getting said perk. In return, I swear all of you have made light of what I wanted, even though this is a digital request and has a very tiny affect on any of you for a potential rewording from 'Too much turkey' to 'Ate too much', which I don't think is all that horrible a change. Every one of you that's responded seem to think that you all know much better than what I do what I should want. I feel that you are all making an Everest out of an anthill.
    Well. I've already went into December not logging in any characters that don't have the stupidly described perk that I don't want, and I'm prepared to go into January too.Maybe longer since you don't appear to welcome any diversity of opinions.Oh they're welcome all right, but never mentioned out loud.
    I wasn't intending to be a 'social justice warrior' by any stretch of the imagination. I just didn't like the perk's description, that's all.I didn't want or expect to be offensive to anyone, but you intend to make me so just because I don't accept something that you accept so readily.
    I hardly even knew what 'sjw' was and had to look that up. I don't do social media of any kind, so I'm not accustomed to being beaten into submission via peer pressure. I had thought that making concerns known was to post about it on the forums. However, this medium appears to be used for hammering down any pesky nails by people that don't care for any kind of change be it for the better or worse.
    spinnytop said:

amii85 said:

Could someone at least tell me when the perk won't be given at log-in

Pretty sure you'll be safe if you just don't log in before January.
    Thanks! You're too kind.

amii85 said:

But would you live? Oooh! how about the ones for Toxic, Dimensional, or piercing?
    I don't know about you, but I've died a lot in this game. Comes with the territory. Not the first time being made light of either, and that doesn't change my mind.
    May your kindness know no bounds.

Namaste
    avianos said:

7eb.png

This is Tumblr™ levels of pet-peeve First World Problems in a VIDEOGAME​​

I was so mistaken about you. Appearances are so deceptive.
    amii85 said:

amii85 said:

I don't know about you, but I've died a lot in this game. Comes with the territory. Not the first time being made light of either, and that doesn't change my mind.

Namaste
    I meant in real life. would you live after taking 1M dimensional damage? :p
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    blockwave said:

I can’t imagine what you are living throught, getting a perk in a video game..seriously you must be a real snowflake to make a post lile that.

I don't know, nor do I care what a 'snowflake' is in your tiny little world.Anyone that can't spell a four letter word (with spell check!) has more problems than he is admitting to.

Namaste
    edited December 2017
    Look so if this is an issue for you it is an issue. I personally cannot rationalize it because it seems silly to me, but if you feel strongly about it you do what you do. Not that you need my or anyone's permission to do so...

but as you said you were already expecting this sort of feedback when you posted this and I still stand by my claim that it was only tofurky(as in vegetarian imitation meat because no real turkeys where harmed in the creation of the perk)

edited December 2017
    beezeeze said:

Look so if this is an issue for you it is an issue. I personally cannot rationalize it because it seems silly to me, but if you feel strongly about it you do what you do. Not that you need my or anyone's permission to do so...

but as you said you were already expecting this sort of feedback when you posted this and I still stand by my claim that it was only tofurky(as in vegetarian imitation meat because no real turkeys where harmed in the creation of the perk)

You might say that, but I'd have to lie to myself to believe that they 'really' meant "tofuturkey" instead of "turkey". You're coming at this from accepting it to begin with, and assuming I'm the one mistaken. I'm pretty sure you think vegetarianism is 'silly' too. However, to your credit, you are being nicer about it than most everyone else. Thank you.
    I was hoping for at least someone standing with me. Unfortunately this isn't the case. Alone again, Naturally. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Mjx4WY2xM

Namaste
    Post edited by amii85 on

amii85 said:

amii85 said:

Namaste
    The real question is, Could you survive one million peer pressure damage? I have no idea how i'd even get a million dimensional damage in 'real' life.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    amii85 said:

I like this game as much as the next person that plays Champions, however having been a vegetarian for the last twenty years, I'd really appreciate the description (the one that you see upon mouse over in the Perks page) of the log-in perk (that's currently being given today) to just drop the word 'turkey', and make it instead "Ate too much". That's all. Please.

This is not me making fun of you this is an actual serious post but as a carnivore I would find the change of that perk due to a vegetarian actually offensive. You see what I am getting at. I respect your choice of being a vegetarian I don't agree with it but I respect it but if we change every perk because it hurts someones feelings every perk would be removed from the game as every perk is bound to offend someone on Planet Earth.

Look at it this way digital turkeys are just the same as say vegetarian meat alternatives as no real turkeys where harmed.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    nepht said:

amii85 said:

This is not me making fun of you this is an actual serious post but as a carnivore I would find the change of that perk due to a vegetarian actually offensive. You see what I am getting at. I respect your choice of being a vegetarian I don't agree with it but I respect it but if we change every perk because it hurts someones feelings every perk would be removed from the game as every perk is bound to offend someone on Planet Earth.

Look at it this way digital turkeys are just the same as say vegetarian meat alternatives as no real turkeys where harmed.
    But are you prepared to do what it takes to not get something, are you willing to buck the tide to achieve what you think is right? Or would you just accept what's given to you as it is, no questions asked?
    I'm sorry that my request bothers you so much. Thank you for being civil.
    I just don't want this label added to my other characters.
    I'm certain that if the perk had originally been worded "Ate too much" that you wouldn't have been offended in the slightest and would have been happily going about your way.
    The moment that someone notices something different and brings attention to something, you find fault with them and their perceptions because it calls your views into question, and we can't have that.
    I know we're talking about a video game. It's all digital. I know this. I also have to play MY characters as I made them. I couldn't do anything about the forced retcons, the stolen powers that made my characters unplayable. I CAN do something about this lousy perk, even if it's only not logging in characters.
    Thank you for noticing me and being civil.

Namaste
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    As of being a neighbour to the Soviets, i hate the Title 'Baboochka'. It allways brings the song Babooshka by Kate Bush playing over and over in my head.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    amii85 said:

But are you prepared to do what it takes to not get something, are you willing to buck the tide to achieve what you think is right? Or would you just accept what's given to you as it is, no questions asked?
    I'm certain that if the perk had originally been worded "Ate too much" that you wouldn't have been offended in the slightest and would have been happily going about your way.
    The moment that someone notices something different and brings attention to something, you find fault with them and their perceptions because it calls your views into question, and we can't have that.
    I know we're talking about a video game. It's all digital. I know this. I also have to play MY characters as I made them. I couldn't do anything about the forced retcons, the stolen powers that made my characters unplayable. I CAN do something about this lousy perk, even if it's only not logging in characters.

Namaste

And I want to play MY characters as I made them and all my toons love eating Turkey. You can say change this perk just as I can say the perk is perfect.

They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    nepht said:

amii85 said:

Namaste

And I want to play MY characters as I made them and all my toons love eating Turkey. You can say change this perk just as I can say the perk is perfect.

Just saying: My cat likes tuna. *shrugs*
    amii85 said:

amii85 said:

amii85 said:

Namaste
    The real question is, Could you survive one million peer pressure damage? I have no idea how i'd even get a million dimensional damage in 'real' life.
    The point is that in-game perks often require your character to do things impossible in real life.

(also, I have +400 resist to peer pressure damage :p )
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    amii85 wrote: »
    I was so mistaken about you. Appearances are so deceptive.
    Yeah go ahead and judge my entire personality because i'm not agreeing with your nonsense about virtual turkeys in a videogame pig-30.gif​​
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
    amii85 said:

I couldn't do anything about the forced retcons, the stolen powers that made my characters unplayable.

Please, tell me more.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
    avianos said:

Yeah go ahead and judge my entire personality because i'm not agreeing with your nonsense about virtual turkeys in a videogame pig-30.gif​​

Birb bro everyone knows your one of the nicest people in CO don't let someone that is obviously only interested in fake outrage bother you.

edited December 2017
    Listen hun, I have no problem with what you choose to shove in your mouth or not, but the moment you start trying to force your opinion on others is the moment you went from someone just choosing for themselves to annoying brat tumbler snowflake whiny pants baboo. How would you feel if I came into other games you played and demanded that they start slapping decals of hamburgers and steaks all over the place in order to cater to my life choices?

You don't like the perk, then do like you said and don't log in. Billions of other people aren't logging in to this game for billions of reasons that nobody but them cares about - you'll just be one of them. You made your suggestion. You wanna know why you get responses like the ones you get? It's because after that suggestion you try to go on a moral crusade about eating turkey on a video game forum and that sort of behavior makes people want to get you all riled up so you make increasingly ridiculous posts to entertain them. I'm sure you think you're scoring big moral victory points here, but all you're really doing is a stand up routine you didn't know you were a part of.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Obtaining the perk in game does not mean you have to parade around in the title on all your characters, nor does it mean you actually ate too much turkey.

This seems like a massive non issue.

I'm from the UK, so I don't even celebrate Thanksgiving...yet, I am aware that making a protest about an in game title based on an national holiday which occurs where the game (and the servers and people who work on it) is set...would be beyond pointless (and then I'd have to consider...do I actually care that much? A title is a title, I don't have to use it).

Do not continue attacking people for responding in kind to your issue.

Whilst your initial request wasn't offensive...the way you've responded in some instances is.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the Development team to back-end change a perk description because you don't eat turkey.

There are other vegetarians in the game who don't care about the perk, one even posted on this thread.

In light of all this...I'm thinking we need a THREAD LOCK. @kaizerin
This discussion has been closed.